Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

I agree the band bears a greater responsibility than a player.

The story here is the nuclear option approach the local radio affiliate is taking to the band taking a knee.

I'm also guessing there may be some contractual obligations that come into play before this is done.

Not really, it makes no difference. Protest is a protest. Band is an school sponsored program just like football is.

It would be more like a player taking a knee the first time he got the ball as a form of protest.

So, my message will be disregarded if they person doesn't like my "tone"? What does that sound like? Like someone won't pay attention to the protest if they don't like the form it takes? If you don't like my tone, don't jump in making snarky comments without reading through the thread first. If you act disingenuous, be prepared for the repercussions.

I've tried putting some thought into this topic and have been respectful to those who seem like they actually want to learn about the issues behind the protest even though they didn't like MRI and others taking a knee.

Personal attacks are no way to disagree with someone's opinion. My comments I made earlier in the thread were in no way snarky, and you went off on me in a way that I did not go off on anyone else.

I get really worked up over this subject (see my post following the one you quoted). So when I see people who are unwilling to listen to the players because of the form of their protest, it demonstrates to me that they really don't care. We have a large percentage of our population that live in a different America from you and me. I am making an effort to understand it, are you?

I have yet to hear someone answer my question if they would like to be treated the same as black people in this country. You notice no one has replied to post number 906. There's more discussion in this thread about the posters feelings than what he actual protest is about. So I really am not worried about stepping on some toes. I'm trying to push this topic forward and make this country a better place.

The bolded part is where things get blurred a bit. There are black people in this country that I would very much like to be treated like. I'm sure there are white people that most blacks would like to be treated like. However, there are also black people in this country that I wouldn't like to be treated like just like there are white people in this country that most black people would not like to be treated like. There are pockets of this great nation where a lot of the factory jobs have disappeared placing many white people on welfare. In these areas, crime is now running out of control and drugs are rampant. While it doesn't get the media coverage, a lot of the whites in these areas face similar circumstances.

A lot of the liberal social programs that were supposed to help these areas have had the opposite affect. We're at an eight year low for the unemployment rate, yet food stamp use is at an all time high. In most of the poorest areas where there was once jobs there are jobs no longer.

At this moment in time, it would be tough to be a police officer. It would be brutal to be a black police officer.

• Fire 3

I get really worked up over this subject (see my post following the one you quoted). So when I see people who are unwilling to listen to the players because of the form of their protest, it demonstrates to me that they really don't care. We have a large percentage of our population that live in a different America from you and me. I am making an effort to understand it, are you?

I have yet to hear someone answer my question if they would like to be treated the same as black people in this country. You notice no one has replied to post number 906. There's more discussion in this thread about the posters feelings than what he actual protest is about. So I really am not worried about stepping on some toes. I'm trying to push this topic forward and make this country a better place.

The bolded part is where things get blurred a bit. There are black people in this country that I would very much like to be treated like. I'm sure there are white people that most blacks would like to be treated like. However, there are also black people in this country that I wouldn't like to be treated like just like there are white people in this country that most black people would not like to be treated like. There are pockets of this great nation where a lot of the factory jobs have disappeared placing many white people on welfare. In these areas, crime is now running out of control and drugs are rampant. While it doesn't get the media coverage, a lot of the whites in these areas face similar circumstances.

Of course you'd want the same treatment as a black pro athlete, actor or musician. And no one wants to be treated like poor white trash. But if you take a black person and a white person of the same socioeconomic status, which one would you want to be?

A lot of the liberal social programs that were supposed to help these areas have had the opposite affect. We're at an eight year low for the unemployment rate, yet food stamp use is at an all time high. In most of the poorest areas where there was once jobs there are jobs no longer.

At this moment in time, it would be tough to be a police officer. It would be brutal to be a black police officer.

There are lots of jobs, but they are crappy jobs. The middle class is being wiped out because no one wants to pay that kind of salary. So those jobs go overseas or they are replaced with a cheaper solution. The problem is people are making less money, and companies are reaping bigger profits. More of the money in these companies needs to go to the employees. Profits should be redistributed so a larger portion goes to those doing the producing.

Being a cop is like being an umpire. If you do your job well, no one notices. But everyone knows who Don Denkinger is (maybe not the younger kids). There are going to be mistakes, just like every other job. But when a cop screws up, someone dies.

And speaking of things no one has replied to, that Ferguson report talks about the racist policies that black people have to deal with. That investigation was only for Ferguson, but you're kidding yourself if you think that's the only place that does that kind of stuff.

There are black people in this country that I would very much like to be treated like. I'm sure there are white people that most blacks would like to be treated like. However, there are also black people in this country that I wouldn't like to be treated like just like there are white people in this country that most black people would not like to be treated like.

Don't take this as an attack, but this is one area where minorities feel very frustrated trying to talk about race. White people, in general, have a very individualistic perception that we view the world through, where minorities or people of color have a much more collective consciousness and identity of 'we' moreso than 'I', a lot of the time. That's part of the white fragility that makes so many immediately freak out saying, "Are you calling me a racist?!" Well, no. It's not about you as an individual. Here's a good article that talks through this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/good-men-project/why-its-so-hard-to-talk-to-white-people-about-racism_b_7183710.html

Socialized into a deeply internalized sense of superiority and entitlement that we are either not consciously aware of or can never admit to ourselves, we become highly fragile in conversations about race. We experience a challenge to our racial worldview as a challenge to our very identities as good, moral people. It also challenges our sense of rightful place in the hierarchy. Thus, we perceive any attempt to connect us to the system of racism as a very unsettling and unfair moral offense.

The story here is the nuclear option approach the local radio affiliate is taking to the band taking a knee.

I'm also guessing there may be some contractual obligations that come into play before this is done.

Not really, it makes no difference. Protest is a protest. Band is an school sponsored program just like football is.

It would be more like a player taking a knee the first time he got the ball as a form of protest.

Some played their instruments while they knelt. Others did not.

Can't lump them all in with the above comparison.

My point is that this isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Do the players that have chosen to kneel have any official responsibilities they are refusing to perform during the anthem? Do band members?

I'm not saying they should be punished or banned from being on TV, just saying it is not the same thing.

The band at ECU is an interesting and, in my opinion, somewhat different case. At many schools (most?) being in the band is part of a class schedule and you receive a few credits for taking part. The implication, to me, is that the band has a different set of circumstances. In addition, some of the band members protested differently. Did any members not protest at all?

If they are receiving school credits for being in the band, I think the responsibilities are slightly different. But that also makes them 'paying customers' as well as students, which only makes it murkier in my mind. I don't know what response is merited, if any. But it sounds like the school supported the band initially and then did a U-turn, throwing the band under the bus so to speak.

I hadn't heard about this part. This is pretty outrageous on the part of the radio affiliate. My favorite part is, "The band members could have quietly protested in the early hours before the game. But they would have required them to wake up early."

Damn millenials, too lazy to protest quietly in the morning where nobody can hear them or see them or be a not-at-all mildly inconvenience to anyone.

• Fire 1

IMO, prejudice is part of the human condition. Like greed, jealousy and so on. It really comes down to "doing unto others as you would have them do unto you" . We can have programs, classes and even PSA's on TV ,that tell us how we've done wrong to each other through out history. But you can't move forward, living in the past.

I agree that you can't force people to think a certain way, and that you can't erase racism or other prejudices.

Institutional racism, however, is another animal entirely. Inequitable policies need to be corrected, whether they are treating people different based on race, sex, religion, culture, or socio-economic status.

• Fire 1

Some played their instruments while they knelt. Others did not.

Can't lump them all in with the above comparison.

My point is that this isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Do the players that have chosen to kneel have any official responsibilities they are refusing to perform during the anthem? Do band members?

I'm not saying they should be punished or banned from being on TV, just saying it is not the same thing.

My point is that when limits to free speech are imposed based on whether you're playing an instrument or not, it seems to limit that free speech.

In my opinion, the tool that makes the protests successful IS the national anthem and any student should have that ability to protest during.

This is an interesting case. One way to evaluate the similarity or difference might be through litigation:

If MRI were cut from the team and released from his scholarship, would he have a discrimination case against the University? I think he would.

How about Ron Brown? I would say he definitely would have a case.

If the band members were dropped from band, or released from a music scholarship, would they have a discrimination case? I don't really know.

Any lawyers on here?

I mean... if you are on a football scholarship you better play football.

If you are on a music scholarship you better make music.

True. But not all members of either group are on scholarship. Where would they fall on the spectrum? I don't know. It provides interesting discussion, but it is hard to imagine any of us know how this would shake out in court or even in university politics.

The thing with ECU Band is that their university supported them totally at first (I THINK) and then threw them to the wolves. That also adds a dimension worth discussion.

I mean... if you are on a football scholarship you better play football.

If you are on a music scholarship you better make music.

True. But not all members of either group are on scholarship. Where would they fall on the spectrum? I don't know. It provides interesting discussion, but it is hard to imagine any of us know how this would shake out in court or even in university politics.

The thing with ECU Band is that their university supported them totally at first (I THINK) and then threw them to the wolves. That also adds a dimension worth discussion.

I would also like to say I'm not trying to imply that it is a less effective or an otherwise inappropriate protest, just that it is different.

You think the kneeling issue we are speaking about is attention grabbing, have you ever been to a Clemson home game?

Pre game = God Bless America, Prayer, Pleadge of Allegence and ends with the Anthem.

See for yourself.

Not sure how to upload a YouTube video but the link below takes you to the video.

Yes, what's your point?