Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Nebraska governor Pete Ricketts pens an essay. After, or before his meeting with MRI?

Cliffs notes:

-- America founded on high ideals, but imperfections exist. To think the flag represents the latter rather than the former is "misguided". The flag represents many things, including both high ideals and imperfections. To think it's any one thing to exclusion of others is "misguided"

-- Not standing for the Anthem causes pain to veterans and their families. Hyperbole. Ricketts has no idea what millions of veterans feel or their families. Veterans, like the public at large, are split on their views, and I'd guess their families have even more varied opinions.

-- Flag represents the sacrifice of American veterans. Protest dishonors that sacrifice. Protest in no way dishonors veterans or their sacrifice. And you don't have to infer that because MRI came out and explicitly stated such in his speech. Maybe Ricketts should become informed on the motivations and reasoning for the protest.

-- Look at how much I appreciate veterans who don't get enough gratitude (it's a lot). sarcasm from zoogs or pandering

-- Having the right to protest doesn't mean you should. While technically true, this entirely misses the point that determining when to protest is a part of the right to protest.

-- This protest is divisive, and divided we fall. By that logic, there should never be protests. And that misses whether the issue (racism) is more divisive than the protest itself. In other words, the protest could lead to better unity and less divisiveness.

So it seems clear that he has put all this out there before the meeting with Rose-Ivey. What's the point of that meeting, then? Seems like his mind is all made up. He's well beyond contemplating the issue, and has moved on to publicly rallying support for his perspective.

I added my comments within the quote.

• Fire 2

So it seems clear that he has put all this out there before the meeting with Rose-Ivey. What's the point of that meeting, then? Seems like his mind is all made up. He's well beyond contemplating the issue, and has moved on to publicly rallying support for his perspective.

I actually think that this is very favorable for MRI. Now that the Governor has made a detailed statement of his stance, it becomes much easier for MRI to come to his meeting prepared to provide a rebuttal to those stances, as Red Denver has done in a previous post.

Based on MRI's previous statements, I feel he will come to said meeting very prepared.

... I believe the Supreme Court case establishing this was in the 1940s (people cannot be compelled to stand/recite the Pledge of Allegiance). This has been applied to the National Anthem. Also, the US Flag Code is clear there are NO penalties for failing to comply with it & this has been established in our courts. Wikipedia should have links here under First Amendment court cases. Unless one is active military or has signed contract explicitly stipulating behavior (i.e. Olympic athletes), a private individual cannot be compelled to act a specific way during our national anthem.

As far Ron Brown, ....... By giving his employer's address and stating a position in opposition of AD/UNL written policy, he was explicitly violating several UNL/AD written policies and this is grounds for termination.

As far as ECU band,.......... If every band member has an obligation to play their instrument while doing certain actions and band members intentionally choose not to do so, they could be in violation of team, department, or university rules/regulations.

+1 this clears up a lot for me. Thanks for posting.

• Fire 1

I actually think that this is very favorable for MRI. Now that the Governor has made a detailed statement of his stance, it becomes much easier for MRI to come to his meeting prepared to provide a rebuttal to those stances, as Red Denver has done in a previous post.

Based on MRI's previous statements, I feel he will come to said meeting very prepared.

I think more than anything, it makes me question Gov. Ricketts' sincerity. Agreeing to the meeting on Twitter was obviously good optics, and it was the right thing to do.

But it was the right thing to do because it indicated someone who maybe realized he spoke too soon, too definitively, and wanted to work with the student-athletes to gain a better understanding.

This was not the statement of a man who fits the above description. It'll be interesting to see how it proceeds from here.

To the bolded part, it all boils down to what the socioeconomic status is. If we're talking about whether I'd rather be poor and white or whether I'd rather be poor and black, I don't see a lot of difference but to play along I'd probably favor being white. If I'm a college student getting ready to apply for grad. school, I'll take being the black student over the white student. I'd also rather be black when applying for a job especially a gov't job where I had the same credentials regardless of race.

And that's the problem. White people don't know what it's like to be black and the day-to-day hardships they face. There may be some instances where being black is an advantage, but they are very few and very far between.

Read this and get back to me: http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf

I agree that white people don't know what it's like to be black. However, black people don't know what it's like to be Hispanic. Neither know what it's like to be white. We can play this game all day long. What this really boils down to is intolerance. We here in Nebraska have a prime example around the Lexington area. There are three different minority groups that work within the slaughter house. These three different minority groups are extremely intolerant of one another which has caused quite a few problems. The gang activity and such is a little rough especially for a town as small as 10,000 people.

Whether I live long enough to see the day or not, we are currently undergoing a massive change in culture. It's expected by 2060 that nearly one third of the U.S. population will be Hispanic. According to the Pew Research Center, blacks and Hispanics have large differences on core issues. The majority of blacks believe there is a bias against them while most Hispanics reject the idea that blacks frequently face discrimination. Roughly only half of the Hispanic population says they get along with blacks while roughly 30% of Hispanics say they don't get along at all. To put into perspective, this is a larger percentage than whites saying they don't get along with blacks.

Time may very well heal most wounds, but I'm not sure here in the U.S. with our diverse population that it will ever happen.

To the bolded part, it all boils down to what the socioeconomic status is. If we're talking about whether I'd rather be poor and white or whether I'd rather be poor and black, I don't see a lot of difference but to play along I'd probably favor being white. If I'm a college student getting ready to apply for grad. school, I'll take being the black student over the white student. I'd also rather be black when applying for a job especially a gov't job where I had the same credentials regardless of race.

And that's the problem. White people don't know what it's like to be black and the day-to-day hardships they face. There may be some instances where being black is an advantage, but they are very few and very far between.

Read this and get back to me: http://www.deanza.edu/faculty/lewisjulie/White%20Priviledge%20Unpacking%20the%20Invisible%20Knapsack.pdf

I agree that white people don't know what it's like to be black. However, black people don't know what it's like to be Hispanic. Neither know what it's like to be white. We can play this game all day long. What this really boils down to is intolerance. We here in Nebraska have a prime example around the Lexington area. There are three different minority groups that work within the slaughter house. These three different minority groups are extremely intolerant of one another which has caused quite a few problems. The gang activity and such is a little rough especially for a town as small as 10,000 people.

Whether I live long enough to see the day or not, we are currently undergoing a massive change in culture. It's expected by 2060 that nearly one third of the U.S. population will be Hispanic. According to the Pew Research Center, blacks and Hispanics have large differences on core issues. The majority of blacks believe there is a bias against them while most Hispanics reject the idea that blacks frequently face discrimination. Roughly only half of the Hispanic population says they get along with blacks while roughly 30% of Hispanics say they don't get along at all. To put into perspective, this is a larger percentage than whites saying they don't get along with blacks.

Time may very well heal most wounds, but I'm not sure here in the U.S. with our diverse population that it will ever happen.

I think if you had more unity of core values you would obtain more social capital

It certainly won't if you don't believe it can.

I think if you had more unity of core values you would obtain more social capital

Blacks and HIspanics and lower-income whites share stronger Christian values and church-going habits that the average American.

But we all share the same desire to feel morally and socially superior to some poor bastard out there, and it's always a bit easier when their skin is color-coded.

• Fire 3

There are three different minority groups that work within the slaughter house. These three different minority groups are extremely intolerant of one another which has caused quite a few problems. The gang activity and such is a little rough

I think you are making an assumption about the cause of crime in this community. Intolerance between minority groups is not the only culprit. Poverty and difficulty for recent immigrants to assimilate into our culture is another major reason for affiliation with gangs and criminal activity.

As another example, Irish and German catholic immigrants in the 1840's flooded the US Northeast and Midwest. They were fleeing famine and persecution in Europe. In many cities these groups moved to the crime rate doubled or tripled.

This fostered a great deal of backlash and discrimination (ever see the movie, "gangs of New York"?). At the time, it was pretty easy to draw a correlation between an influx of Irish-catholics, and an increase in crime. Does that mean that the Irish were inherently prone to gangs and crime? Many at the time made that simple conclusion.

According to the Pew Research Center, blacks and Hispanics have large differences on core issues.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/06/11/multiracial-in-america/

Here's another article from the Pew Research Center. It's about the rising demographic of multi-racial Americans. Here are some quotes:

Pew Research estimates that 6.9% of the U.S. adult population could be considered multiracial.

The survey finds that many multiracial adults, like other racial minorities, have experienced some type of racial discrimination, from racist slurs to physical threats, because of their racial background.

Demographically, multiracial Americans are younger—and strikingly so—than the country as a whole.

the Census Bureau projects that the multiracial population will triple by 2060.

Where you see continued strife among races in America, I see the melting pot blurring racial lines over time.

• Fire 1

Blacks and HIspanics and lower-income whites share stronger Christian values and church-going habits that the average American.

But we all share the same desire to feel morally and socially superior to some poor bastard out there, and it's always a bit easier when their skin is color-coded.

Yeah, the values is what helps bridge the gap, at least for me it helps. Without that, it is more difficult. I think not just for me, but for everyone.

But I am big on choices and personal responsibility, which I believe are good values, and determine, to a large degree, where you end up economically. More so than where you started in life. And I'm talking for all races, white, black, hispanic, asian....

Edit - I said choices, but that is not a value, my bad. Your values will determine choices though.

Not that anybody should care what I think but I'm pretty impressed with the manner in which MRI, Brandon Marshall of the Broncos and a few others have gone about their protests. Their approach has been one of still maintaining respect and expressing their concerns without demeaning police officers. Kaepernick, on the other hand, and some others have not gone about it in the right way IMO. Anyway, it makes a difference in my eyes.