Serious Q's To Trump Supporters (or those on the fence for Trump)

NM11046

I'm assuming what will happen if he does get into office is, he'll find out we need national standards, realize there is a better program that can be created outside of common core, and go from there.

I hear you. And certainly we're all a little guilty of assuming our candidates of choice will act reliably to our expectations.

It's more of a stretch in some cases than others, though. If you're willing to assume someone who explicitly is opposed to national standards will come in, do a 180, and then go from there in the right direction, why not for someone whose starting point *is* in favor of national standards -- and both has the grasp on policy and a view that the federal government has a role to be playing in education?

I'm assuming what will happen if he does get into office is, he'll find out we need national standards, realize there is a better program that can be created outside of common core, and go from there.

I hear you. And certainly we're all a little guilty of assuming our candidates of choice will act reliably to our expectations.

It's more of a stretch in some cases than others, though. If you're willing to assume someone who explicitly is opposed to national standards will come in, do a 180, and then go from there in the right direction, why not for someone whose starting point *is* in favor of national standards -- and both has the grasp on policy and a view that the federal government has a role to be playing in education?

Because this is only part of my thoughts towards the next president and she doesn't fit the standard in the views that are important to me in this election. Those views are overall security of our country including the borders, support for law enforcement, getting a handle on the national debt, illegal immigration, and a smaller government. I put those in front of the common core issue.

• Fire 1

Teachers and reps at the state level wrote Common Core standards.

And again, Common Core should not be an election issue in Nebraska unless you WANT the state to adopt them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/02/17/why-i-once-liked-common-core-but-changed-my-mind-one-principals-view/

I suppose we each could find a dozen articles saying the states created common core and a dozen others saying the opposite. I live in Iowa obviously, not Nebraska so I have to deal with common core. I don't like common core period, I really don't care who created it at this point and I'm only going off what educators have told me and some of what I've read. This article was written by a school principal and talks about how it was implemented poorly and who helped create it.

I suppose we each could find a dozen articles saying the states created common core and a dozen others saying the opposite.

Could we? I went through that article quickly, but I couldn't find the opposite assertion there at all. If states are adopting similar standards, that's quite a different story.

National security:

50 GOP national security officials penned a letter denouncing Trump in this area. Strength in national security is not measured in bravado or willingness to muse about nuclear weapons. Quite the opposite.
Debt:
If you have been a registered Democrat, what's changed in this area? Debt does not work for governments the way we intuit it does for individuals.
Illegal immigration:
Law enforcement:
Again, I highly doubt Trump's aggressive bluster will lead to a better situation. In concrete terms, how might that even happen?
If this isn't a policy vote but a matter of personal distaste for Hillary, I can understand that. If you were a lifelong Republican, I can understand that. From a two-time Obama supporter, even in 2012, I'm a little bit puzzled -- but, again, to each their own :)

And again, Common Core should not be an election issue in Nebraska unless you WANT the state to adopt them.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2015/02/17/why-i-once-liked-common-core-but-changed-my-mind-one-principals-view/

I suppose we each could find a dozen articles saying the states created common core and a dozen others saying the opposite. I live in Iowa obviously, not Nebraska so I have to deal with common core. I don't like common core period, I really don't care who created it at this point and I'm only going off what educators have told me and some of what I've read. This article was written by a school principal and talks about how it was implemented poorly and who helped create it.

You are not alone in disliking them, a lot of people do. However, my original point (very poorly stated) was that the President has nothing to do with it, so it shouldn't be an issue when finding reasons to vote for Trump.

Iowa could pull out of Common Core tomorrow if they wanted.

You are not alone in disliking them, a lot of people do. However, my original point (very poorly stated) was that the President has nothing to do with it, so it shouldn't be an issue when finding reasons to vote for Trump.

I know they could, but they won't unfortunately. This isn't the main reason I'm thinking of voting for him. It's just something else that is there at this point. Again, I may not vote at all for anyone for president.

Zoogs, I have a very high level of personal distaste for Hilary and will not vote for her at all. I have a different perspective and personal knowledge that is driving my thoughts towards her. Like I said, doesn't mean I'll be voting for Trump either.

I'm kinda done with the back-and-forth if I'm being honest. I've said my peace on the matter. It's a disaster that the decision should be this hard for who to vote for and it's not hard because they're good candidates, quite the opposite.

I know they could, but they won't unfortunately. This isn't the main reason I'm thinking of voting for him. It's just something else that is there at this point. Again, I may not vote at all for anyone for president.

Zoogs, I have a very high level of personal distaste for Hilary and will not vote for her at all. I have a different perspective and personal knowledge that is driving my thoughts towards her. Like I said, doesn't mean I'll be voting for Trump either.

I'm kinda done with the back-and-forth if I'm being honest. I've said my peace on the matter. It's a disaster that the decision should be this hard for who to vote for and it's not hard because they're good candidates, quite the opposite.

Thanks for sharing your perspective BigRedIowan. Please don't let some on here discourage you from posting your views.

• Fire 1

Thanks for sharing your perspective BigRedIowan. Please don't let some on here discourage you from posting your views.

No, no one is discouraging me, I just don't have much more to say on the issue. No hard feelings from me at all towards anyone. This is actually one of the best threads we've had for civil discussion in the politics and religion area of the board in quite awhile.

• Fire 5

^^^+1 BRI

I didn't mean to come off as "back and forth", I apologize if I did. Like your personal frustrations about Clinton, I share them with people "in Nebraska" who despise CC and can't wait until it all goes away when Trump is President. We were at swimming lessons last week when a Mom in the group said something to this effect. My wife just excused herself to the restroom because she knew I wouldn't let it go :)

• Fire 1

^^^+1 BRI

I didn't mean to come off as "back and forth", I apologize if I did. Like your personal frustrations about Clinton, I share them with people "in Nebraska" who despise CC and can't wait until it all goes away when Trump is President. We were at swimming lessons last week when a Mom in the group said something to this effect. My wife just excused herself to the restroom because she knew I wouldn't let it go :)

I hear ya, me and my brother and sister got into it pretty heavy tonight over the Clinton/Trump situation. Cooler heads will prevail tomorrow I'm sure, but we were all pretty pissed at one another.

I worked with an illegal immigrant when I was younger. You want to stop the massive amounts of illegal immigrants? Stop the war on drugs. Make all drugs legal. The reasons Mexicans fllod to the US is because of all the crime created by the cartels. Legalize it and suddenly all their product becomes dirt cheap. The problem is there is no way in hell a law like that ever gets passed in the US.

^^^+1 BRI

I hear ya, me and my brother and sister got into it pretty heavy tonight over the Clinton/Trump situation. Cooler heads will prevail tomorrow I'm sure, but we were all pretty pissed at one another.

Oh, man. That's tough to deal with.

This Biden thing you said (in this, or another thread?) interests me. Surely you know what Biden's policies would be regarding size of government, national debt, racial divide and policing, education, and so on. If anything, Biden may have been further to the left of Hillary -- I remember the speech he gave announcing he wouldn't run, it was cited by Sanders' campaign people as energizing because it hit along a lot of the same points.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect Biden a lot. But what makes Biden an automatic yes here?

I worked with an illegal immigrant when I was younger. You want to stop the massive amounts of illegal immigrants? Stop the war on drugs. Make all drugs legal. The reasons Mexicans fllod to the US is because of all the crime created by the cartels. Legalize it and suddenly all their product becomes dirt cheap. The problem is there is no way in hell a law like that ever gets passed in the US.

Marijuana, absolutely. I just can't get on board with legalizing ALL drugs.

^^^+1 BRI

Oh, man. That's tough to deal with.

This Biden thing you said (in this, or another thread?) interests me. Surely you know what Biden's policies would be regarding size of government, national debt, racial divide and policing, education, and so on. If anything, Biden may have been further to the left of Hillary -- I remember the speech he gave announcing he wouldn't run, it was cited by Sanders' campaign people as energizing because it hit along a lot of the same points.

Don't get me wrong, I admire and respect Biden a lot. But what makes Biden an automatic yes here?

He supports the military and cops and doesn't lie and treat people like s*&t.