Athlon: Top 10 I-Backs in Husker History

Mavric

Helu (08-10) to

Burkhead (10-12)

Abdullah (12-14)

The Pelini years were blessed at RB. These three guys all belong on a Top Ten list of I-backs in school history. At Nebraska. Pretty cool :)

#5 Career Rushing Yards

#6 Career Rushing Yards

#2 Career Rushing Yards

And they were sharing the backfield with the #9 guy (Martinez)

In 2011 all in the same diamond formation backfield. Truly crazy.

..and in 2009 they couldnt score a touchdown to save their @sses. If they could have averaged 24 pts per game against conference they would have been NCs

Put Abdullah behind any of those lines that Rozier, Phillips, or Green had and he's number 1.

The top 3 were great backs but I'm totally behind the opinion that Abdullah was a transcendent talent without the luxury of playing behind a great line. Combine the two and you just have no idea what kind of records he would have broken.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here.

obvious to me that both Derek Brown and Brandon Jackson should be on there ahead of Burkhead. Jackson was a VERY nice running back in the end.

What I am saying is if I were picking a team I would take either of those two ahead of Burkhead and not think twice.

Brandon Jackson had one pretty good season where the quarterback was the focal point of the offense and the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year, whereas Rex gutted out an entire career's worth of playing time carrying the team on his back and breaking his body. Longevity and sentiment favor Burkhead a mile over B-Jax, imo.

• Fire 1

Helu (08-10) to

Burkhead (10-12)

Abdullah (12-14)

The Pelini years were blessed at RB. These three guys all belong on a Top Ten list of I-backs in school history. At Nebraska. Pretty cool :)

#5 Career Rushing Yards

#6 Career Rushing Yards

#2 Career Rushing Yards

And they were sharing the backfield with the #9 guy (Martinez)

In 2011 all in the same diamond formation backfield. Truly crazy.

..and in 2009 they couldnt score a touchdown to save their @sses. If they could have averaged 24 pts per game against conference they would have been NCs
well. Abdullah wasnt here in 2009. Burkhead was a freshman part timing as a quarterback. And the OC at that time didnt know what diamond was.

I think Jeff Smith was underrated, but he was always kind of in the shadows of those other guys. Nebraska did kind of struggle offensively for a couple years after they lost Gill and Fryar and I think that hurt Smith's visibility a little bit. There was a little bit of a QB funk there for a couple years. Plus DuBose had kind of broken out at the same time. Actually DuBose could have been top 3 or 4 on this list if he'd been healthy.

Jeff Kinney is definetly in the top ten all time. Different eras different offenses. Kinney played in Pro style and was a beast. Always difficult to bring down. Great receiver out of the backfield. There are only 4 or 5 on this list that I'd take over Kinney with his talent in his era over others in their era. If you look at what they did during their time not what they would do in another era jmho. I was 21 for the game of the century. No game since has had 1 vs 2 and by the end of first half everyone knew whomever had the ball last with enough time to score would be the winner. Greatest game ever.

Don't think there's been a game that matched #1 offense vs # 1 defense and # 2 or 3 offense vs #2 defense.

• Fire 1