Nebraska's ceiling

Redux

Our ceiling is undefeated. There is no team in the country that is unbeatable, and that includes Ohio State (MSU beat them last year with a backup QB. Hell, we beat MSU last year and they went to the Playoff). OSU looked plenty vulnerable against Indiana. It's all up to the coaches and players, and good health, where this team ends up at the end of the year. It starts again this week by working hard and beating Indiana next Saturday.

• Fire 1

I think you're overreacting, Redux.

I believe Nebraska can win every game they play this year. Key word is "can."

But when I use my eyeballs and watch the games, I see a defense that is unlikely to hold Ohio State to less points than we have. The same goes for most other teams in the top 15, were we to play them. It's called being realistic. I would love for them to prove me wrong and will be cheering for them and hope that Mike Riley continues his trend of upsetting at least one team that is better on paper.

I think we'll end up with 2-3 losses.

There's a difference between being realistic and being doom/gloom. Many people are tilting towards the latter. 5 games in last year I could understand it, this year not so much.

We have our flaws, but so does everybody else. The whole A+B formula isn't a precise formula, unless we are talking Nebraska apparantely. I think we could be a nightmare type matchup for an Ohio State if we are clicking.

I'm trying to look at the positives instead of the glaring negatives.

well unfortunately both will come into play

To win this division we have to stay healthier. Not only that but we need to start games stronger

.Both very true.

Nebraska can't really control the first one (although I hope Riley pulls his starters as soon as feasible), but not doing the second one might be a bad habit.

To win this division we have to stay healthier. Not only that but we need to start games stronger

.Both very true.

Nebraska can't really control the first one (although I hope Riley pulls his starters as soon as feasible), but not doing the second one might be a bad habit.

Gotta come out in the 1st like the 4th. We can "afford" that against teams with less depth, but not against those with deeper rosters. However, 5 games in, the stat of 78-6 in the 4th is pretty impressive. A lot better to finally be on the "closing out" games than the lost "X" number of games by a combined 8 points side....

Ehh... I don't think it's that big of a deal. We haven't beat any really good teams yet. Everyone is happy we are 5-0. Some of you guys just want to be happy... happy...happy all the time. Sheesh.

I'd be happy with 50/50 optimism/pessemism.

Unfortunately for Nebraska, the 5 teams we have beaten are doing us no favors. Fresno, Wyoming, NW and Illinois were never going to look good on a resume and Oregon gave up after losing to us.

Ehh... I don't think it's that big of a deal. We haven't beat any really good teams yet. Everyone is happy we are 5-0. Some of you guys just want to be happy... happy...happy all the time. Sheesh.

Unfortunately for Nebraska, the 5 teams we have beaten are doing us no favors. Fresno, Wyoming, NW and Illinois were never going to look good on a resume and Oregon gave up after losing to us.

I'm not trying to be contradictory or start anything but could you clarify what you mean by this?

Why does it matter how the teams we beat our doing? It's not like we're trying to build a playoff resume.

As for our ceiling I stand by my preseason prediction that we lose to either Indiana or Maryland but now I wouldn't necessarily call a loss to Indiana an upset like I had thought before the season.

I'm not trying to be contradictory or start anything but could you clarify what you mean by this?

Why does it matter how the teams we beat our doing? It's not like we're trying to build a playoff resume.

As for our ceiling I stand by my preseason prediction that we lose to either Indiana or Maryland but now I wouldn't necessarily call a loss to Indiana an upset like I had thought before the season.

I mean I think a lot of thr pessemism would be null if even Oregon had won a couple games after we beat them. Instead our 5-0 record is overshadowed by our opponents short comings.

I don't know if they gave up or they're a bad team. I would think a good team wouldn't give up

There is no ceiling right now.

A "better" 5-0 record is like killing something "more dead".

The Cornhuskers can only beat the teams and win the games put in front of them, and they have.

Also, what the Cornhuskers were last week and what they will be this week are two different things. There is no reason that coaches and players shouldn't improve every game. Next week's Cornhuskers should be an improvement over last week's Cornhuskers, with the exception of the toll injuries take.

• Fire 1

This thread needs to calm down.

Thinking that we aren't necessarily a great team or a top 10 team is not even in the same ballpark as being negative, being doom n gloom, or being unwilling to enjoy or be happy about this year's team.

I'm having a blast watching the team. I've gotten to go to two games, and I'm so happy, so pumped, so excited for Riley and Armstrong and etc. Still think we're a top 15-20 team at best. We can only beat the teams on our schedule, but the teams on our schedule are only a few notches up from flaming garbage and we haven't looked heads and shoulders better than them while playing at times. That's just reality. We have a long way to go, and we might get there, but there's a good chance we don't, and if that happens, so what?

• Fire 3