Nebraska's ceiling

Redux

So here we are. We made it 5-0 to the bye week. We are cracking the top ten because of our undefeated record and other teams ahead of us losing. Yet we have yet to earn respect. I'm not talking national respect, I mean respect amongst our own fanbase.

The people I've seen the most down on the Huskers have been our very own, and it's not just here. It's like just because we played down to NW (like we always do) or because we struggled against Illinois (100 or so injuries) we should be embarassed. I'm not, not even a little. For years we kept saying how Bo couldn't win the games that mattered and the games he should win. Well so far we are doing just that. Even our Oregon win has taken a hit because they have apparantely quit on the season.

It sucks to hear all this negativity and we are playing our strongest football in a long time. We are killing teams in the 4th quarter, we are finding ways to win when hurt, we are playing better fundamentally and with less mistakes and I couldn't be prouder. I don't know if we can beat an Ohio State, but I'm done assuming we can't until I see a reason. I know damn well we can win on a weekly basis, that's all that matters to me right now.

6-0 is on the line next. Lets go to Indiana and beat a team that is better than they have been in a long time, maybe that will earn us some respect.

• Fire 7

So what is this teams ceiling? (Kinda got off my original topic)

I see no reason this team foesn't win at least ten games. Our style of play is punishing on defenses, I think that makes the difference against the remainder of our tough games. I think we lose a close one to Ohio State but that's about it. Regardless where we end the season ranked I think the ceiling this year is a top 10 finish and an 11 win season.

I think you're overreacting, Redux. Being realistic is not necessarily being negative.

I believe Nebraska can win every game they play this year. Key word is "can."

But when I use my eyeballs and watch the games, I see a defense that is unlikely to hold Ohio State to less points than we have. The same goes for most other teams in the top 15, were we to play them. I also see that none of the teams we've beaten were stellar, and we didn't dominate any of them. Alabama, Washington, Clemson, Louisville, Michigan, Ohio State have all dominated opponents multiple times. Something we haven't done once this season. I'm talking shut outs or near shut outs, and us scoring over 40 points.

The most important stat is our record, but I think it's unlikely we'll stay undefeated. I would love for the team to prove me wrong and will be cheering for them and hope that Mike Riley continues his trend of upsetting at least one team that is better on paper.

I think we'll end up with 2-3 losses.

• Fire 7

I think you're overreacting, Redux.

But when I use my eyeballs and watch the games, I see a defense that is unlikely to hold Ohio State to less points than we have. The same goes for most other teams in the top 15, were we to play them. It's called being realistic. I would love for them to prove me wrong and will be cheering for them and hope that Mike Riley continues his trend of upsetting at least one team that is better on paper.

There's a difference between being realistic and being doom/gloom. Many people are tilting towards the latter. 5 games in last year I could understand it, this year not so much.

We have our flaws, but so does everybody else. The whole A+B formula isn't a precise formula, unless we are talking Nebraska apparantely. I think we could be a nightmare type matchup for an Ohio State if we are clicking.

I'm trying to look at the positives instead of the glaring negatives.

I think you're overreacting, Redux.

But when I use my eyeballs and watch the games, I see a defense that is unlikely to hold Ohio State to less points than we have. The same goes for most other teams in the top 15, were we to play them. It's called being realistic. I would love for them to prove me wrong and will be cheering for them and hope that Mike Riley continues his trend of upsetting at least one team that is better on paper.

There's a difference between being realistic and being doom/gloom. Many people are tilting towards the latter. 5 games in last year I could understand it, this year not so much.

We have our flaws, but so does everybody else. The whole A+B formula isn't a precise formula, unless we are talking Nebraska apparantely. I think we could be a nightmare type matchup for an Ohio State if we are clicking.

I'm trying to look at the positives instead of the glaring negatives.

What you're seeing is not doom and gloom. Doom and gloom is the sh#t show that was this forum from October 2015 to August 2016, and I hated it.

• Fire 2

I think we find out what our ceiling is in 2 weeks. We have beaten the teams we should but we haven't faced anyone like Wisconsin. If we can beat them then we will know that our team is capable of beating anyone on the right day, but if we get thrashed then we know we're still a top 25 team (probably 20-25) and thats better than we have been in awhile but were not "there" yet.

Either way this year has been the most fun year for me since Taylor Martinez was a freshman. I can wait to see if we rise to the occasion against Wisconsin.

• Fire 1

So here we are. We made it 5-0 to the bye week. We are cracking the top ten because of our undefeated record and other teams ahead of us losing. Yet we have yet to earn respect. I'm not talking national respect, I mean respect amongst our own fanbase.

The people I've seen the most down on the Huskers have been our very own, and it's not just here. It's like just because we played down to NW (like we always do) or because we struggled against Illinois (100 or so injuries) we should be embarassed. I'm not, not even a little. For years we kept saying how Bo couldn't win the games that mattered and the games he should win. Well so far we are doing just that. Even our Oregon win has taken a hit because they have apparantely quit on the season.

It sucks to hear all this negativity and we are playing our strongest football in a long time. We are killing teams in the 4th quarter, we are finding ways to win when hurt, we are playing better fundamentally and with less mistakes and I couldn't be prouder. I don't know if we can beat an Ohio State, but I'm done assuming we can't until I see a reason. I know damn well we can win on a weekly basis, that's all that matters to me right now.

6-0 is on the line next. Lets go to Indiana and beat a team that is better than they have been in a long time, maybe that will earn us some respect.

You simply can't help bringing up the previous staff, can you. Now, nearly two years later.

It's sad.

• Fire 2

I think we find out what our ceiling is in 2 weeks. We have beaten the teams we should but we haven't faced anyone like Wisconsin. If we can beat them then we will know that our team is capable of beating anyone on the right day, but if we get thrashed then we know we're still a top 25 team (probably 20-25) and thats better than we have been in awhile but were not "there" yet.

Either way this year has been the most fun year for me since Taylor Martinez was a freshman. I can wait to see if we rise to the occasion against Wisconsin.

I don't think many people are confusing our ranking and record as Nebraska being back. But the ranking and record is what we want and some are acting like it doesn't matter because we will eventually lose a game.

Husker fans can be the harshest critics of the Huskers sometimes. Despite that, it does seem like we've turned a corner. We finished last year strong. Beat #6 Michigan State, and might have beat #3 Iowa if Gerry didn't get tossed from the game on a very questionable call. And then finished with an upset bowl win over a salty UCLA team. So far in the new season we've made it to five games without a loss. That's better than about 90% of the FBS teams have started. I for one am cautiously optimistic.

Ceiling? I think the best we could reasonably hope for is to win the west, end up at a decent bowl game with a win, and pull in a great recruiting class. Even if we make it to the CCG in Indy I don't think we can beat tOSU. This year anyway. But you never know. That said, I think it's pretty iffy that we will win the west. Oh sure, it might happen. But I wouldn't put much coin on it. I think it's more reasonable to expect us to drop a couple or three conference games in Oct/Nov. GBR!