Tackling

Didnt know which of the two def threads to put this in cuz i think it's bigger than just one position.

interesting stat I heard this morning that makes me happy.

1st, tackling became an elephant in the room it seems after Illinois. Fans saw it. Coaches addressed. Were completely open about the issue and about the need to work on it in the bye week. and then confirming it was getting worked on. The openness of these guys is still pretty neat to me.

But how bout this. 62 of 72 tackles saturday by our defense were solo.

so they addressed it. Said they were gonna fix it. Said they were fixing it. And seem to have fixed it.

• Fire 8

Kalu in particular had a couple nice tackles. He seems improved this year in tackling. Might be because he's bulked up a bit from last season. Might also be because his form is better. Although I can't point to any particular stat to support that.

Gerry looked like a missile out there. The speed these guys have is insane.

Gerry had a nice game tackling, especially after IU went to that running QB. Gerry did get burned twice by the guy, but he adjusted and made plays after that.

I thought Banderas also had a good game making some key tackles right before the first down marker.

Gerry looks like twice the player he was the last 3 years, in terms of tackling alone.

• Fire 1

Gerry looked like a missile out there. The speed these guys have is insane.

Gerry had a nice game tackling, especially after IU went to that running QB. Gerry did get burned twice by the guy, but he adjusted and made plays after that.

I thought Banderas also had a good game making some key tackles right before the first down marker.

Gerry looks like twice the player he was the last 3 years, in terms of tackling alone.

Gerry is playing great football right now. I thought he struggled in his first game back against Wyoming (yes, even when he had 2 INT's) but he has stepped up his play the last few games.

My favorite stop was on the 4th and 4 from NU's 33 yard line in the 3rd quarter. Indiana tried to have that mobile QB run on a QB keeper. Gerry filled the running lane and did miss the initial tackle, but then Kieron (I think) came right behind Gerry to grab the QB around the 30-31, then just as the QB was about to stretch out for the first down marker, Banderas lowered the boom on the QB and stopped him a yard short of the first down.

That was good tackling by Kieron (again, I think) and pursuit by Banderas to finish the play.

My favorite stop was on the 4th and 4 from NU's 33 yard line in the 3rd quarter. Indiana tried to have that mobile QB run on a QB keeper. Gerry filled the running lane and did miss the initial tackle, but then Kieron (I think) came right behind Gerry to grab the QB around the 30-31, then just as the QB was about to stretch out for the first down marker, Banderas lowered the boom on the QB and stopped him a yard short of the first down.

That was good tackling by Kieron (again, I think) and pursuit by Banderas to finish the play.

I really, really wish we had another season with Bando and Gerry.

Bando is replaceable, but Gerry will be tough to replace.

• Fire 2

Bando is replaceable, but Gerry will be tough to replace.

He is, but I also feel like he has just started playing his best ball. Another year in this system with Bray would do him wonders.

• Fire 1

There were several plays where bando or Gerry were 7 yards from the runner with their ears pinned back and it seemed that the ball carrier only moved forward 1 yard before the collision. They both are extremely fast when they are confident in the path that they are taking!!!

• Fire 1