Week 9 Preview: Wisconsin

BIG ERN

two matchups i really REALLY like. our DB's vs their receivers. if we can find a way to cover Fumagalli out of the nickle, and free up linebackers for the run game, i think we can just simply man free cover their receivers. hornibrook isnt overly mobile, though he's able to move around. But if we can free our backers, we should be good. I just cant see how Wisconsin scored 20+ if we play well on defense.

I also like our receivers against their secondary now that Westerkamp is back. Westerkamp, Morgan, Reilly, Moore, Peirson-El. Spread these guys out. Force their backers out of the tackle box or force them into straight nickel and give our oline a chance to double team. And hopefully Tommy is on. if he hits some passes down the field early (10-20 yard range. not the yolo bombs), then it will quickly change the dynamic of Wisconsins defensive game plan. I jsut think if we spread it out, we'll give newby and chance to crease some big runs. Qb run game has to be big.

people don't want to admit it but we match up pretty dang well in this game.

I think we do match up well.

The issue is we have yet to show that we can really put together a full game.

Or a full half.

But have you seen anything from Wisconsin's offense that suggests if we dont play well in the first half, that theyd run out to a 28-7 type lead? i havent. Not saying some first half struggles couldnt result in a 14-0/17-3 type halftime deficit. Which to me, is still overcomeable (i think i made that word up. LOL) But wisconsin doesnt strike me as having this huge talent/atheticism advantage that suggests that if things dont go great early, that we get boat raced out of the gate.

• Fire 1

two matchups i really REALLY like. our DB's vs their receivers. if we can find a way to cover Fumagalli out of the nickle, and free up linebackers for the run game, i think we can just simply man free cover their receivers. hornibrook isnt overly mobile, though he's able to move around. But if we can free our backers, we should be good. I just cant see how Wisconsin scored 20+ if we play well on defense.

I also like our receivers against their secondary now that Westerkamp is back. Westerkamp, Morgan, Reilly, Moore, Peirson-El. Spread these guys out. Force their backers out of the tackle box or force them into straight nickel and give our oline a chance to double team. And hopefully Tommy is on. if he hits some passes down the field early (10-20 yard range. not the yolo bombs), then it will quickly change the dynamic of Wisconsins defensive game plan. I jsut think if we spread it out, we'll give newby and chance to crease some big runs. Qb run game has to be big.

I like the matchups, as well. The big thing for NU's defense will be able to control the jet sweep. Wisky's traditional run game is between the tackles and they use the jet sweep to hit big plays on the outside. If that can be minimized, I like NU keeping the score down.

Another advantage for NU could be place kicking. Brown has been pretty nails all season long, while Wisky has had to go to their 2nd string kicker, who missed 2 FG's against Iowa.

yep keeping the run game at bay will be key. Love our secondary vs their passing game. Hornibrook is ok and will be good as his career progresses but honestly purdues air attack is definitely more deadly than Wisconsins.

Their QB is nothing special and a bit of a statue. I almost wonder if you are better off not blitzing a guy like that in this instance and instead seeing what pressure you get with 4 and keep 7 in coverage where they might be able to get some picks.

I feel like NU can keep their offense from big plays with a strategy like this. Make them earn it instead of some lucky pass that gets thrown up for a long score or some PI's calls.

Thsi is what I was getting at earlier. if we just find a way to cover Fumigalli, whether it be in nickel or base, I think our back 4 can lock down pretty easy man up on their receivers. Should be able to free up the backers for some of Bankers creative blitzes. Mix the coverages. Some man. Some conventional zone. make the youngster manipulate different looks.

Or a full half.

This is true but I just like our defense in this game and I think they can keep us in it long enough to have a great stretch and "take control"

I put that in quotes because I don't think at any point will either team be in true control but if we are up 4 with 5 minutes left I see us playing in a dominant fashion, shutting down their offense and eating up the clock like we've done in every other game

For the life of me I cant figure out why people think a team like NU that hasnt shown they can reliably drive the ball downfield against anybody, is going to beat a team like Wisconsin with one of the toughest Defensive units in America on the road. Wisconsin also knows if they win out All of their goals are still on the table. There is no and I mean no logical reason to believe Nebraska is going to win this game. "Hope" is not a good strategy for a season. I prefer "run blocking"

For the life of me I cant figure out why people think a team like NU that hasnt shown they can reliably drive the ball downfield against anybody, is going to beat a team like Wisconsin with one of the toughest Defensive units in America on the road. Wisconsin also knows if they win out All of their goals are still on the table. There is no and I mean no logical reason to believe Nebraska is going to win this game. "Hope" is not a good strategy for a season. I prefer "run blocking"

I think that is the part that makes me wonder if NU can have success in this game.

I have a logical reason to believe

"Defense" ours is pretty good, their offense isnt great. A close low scoring game is a game we can win even if our offense isn't performing very well right now.

First off. All of OUR goals are still on the table too.

2nd. Wisconsin doesnt exactly Texas Tech their way up and down the field either. Provide me reasonable arguement that guarantees Wisconsin scored 20 points in this game, then reasonable arguement that *guarantees* we dont.

Pelini is gone. They will not be scoring 50+ and rushing for 400.

2nd. Wisconsin doesnt exactly Texas Tech their way up and down the field either. Provide me reasonable arguement that guarantees Wisconsin scored 20 points in this game, then reasonable arguement that *guarantees* we dont.

Exactly! We could easily lose this game and Wisconsin is a talented team, but if you sincerely believe there is no logical reason Nebraska can win this game I'm not sure why you are a husker Fan to begin with

Yeah, that is true too.

28 is the most I could see them getting and that would be with some short fields to work with.

Exactly! We could easily lose this game and Wisconsin is a talented team, but if you sincerely believe there is no logical reason Nebraska can win this game I'm not sure why you are a husker Fan to begin with

I'll entertain these doubts a week from now. But this weeks it's garbage. As bad as we were last year, we gave this game away to these guys. You'd think they rolled us a year ago.

I'll entertain these doubts a week from now. But this weeks it's garbage. As bad as we were last year, we gave this game away to these guys. You'd think they rolled us a year ago.

Now that is interesting to think about. Is Wisconsin better or worse than last year? Is Nebraska better or worse?

I can't see Wisconsin throwing for like 300 yards (didn't they do that last year?)

Yeah, that is true too.

28 is the most I could see them getting and that would be with some short fields to work with.

Im thinking in the 27-24/24-20 type game. I think each defense does something to create that "gimmy"score for their offense, which could make it look higher scoring than what it is thought to be right now. And, it jsut seems like everytime there's this amount of talk over how a game will play out, in any sport, whether it be high scoring or low, it so often seems to play out the opposite. Remember the 2010 National Champ game? Cam Newton and Oregon how low scoring that wound up being?

Now that is interesting to think about. Is Wisconsin better or worse than last year? Is Nebraska better or worse?

I can't see Wisconsin throwing for like 300 yards (didn't they do that last year?)

yes they did. But didnt rush for sh#t

Would you rather put a lot into defending the pass when playing Wisconsin for force Joel Frickin Stave to throw it 50 times, when your pass D isnt that great anyway? Take away at least one that you know you can. Cuz if you let em have both, youre in serious trouble. Weird how flipping the defensive philosophy and focusing on the other team's STRENGTH actually led to us being competitive with them for a change, even in the worst of bad seasons.

Or a full half.

But have you seen anything from Wisconsin's offense that suggests if we dont play well in the first half, that theyd run out to a 28-7 type lead? i havent. Not saying some first half struggles couldnt result in a 14-0/17-3 type halftime deficit. Which to me, is still overcomeable (i think i made that word up. LOL) But wisconsin doesnt strike me as having this huge talent/atheticism advantage that suggests that if things dont go great early, that we get boat raced out of the gate.

I agree with all that. But it's more a matter of I don't think we've really played well for large stretches of probably every game. And that's been against fairly poor competition. Wisonsin isn't a world-beater - as I said I think we match up very well from a talent standpoint - but they'll easily be the best team we've played. And I don't think you can play poorly for long stretches and beat good teams.

My biggest concern is the matchup of rushing defenses. We had all kinds of problems running the ball against Purdue. Purdue is #124 in the country in yards per rush allowed. Wisconsin is #20. And if we can't run the ball very effectively, that means we have to throw more. And the more we have to throw, the better the odds are that we'll get Bad Tommy. I don't think they'd necessarily put together four 80 yard drives to get 28 points. But if we give them a couple short fields......

And the other side of that coin is we are not very good at stopping the run. We are #62 in the country in yards per attempt allowed despite only playing one team that was really a legitimate threat running the ball. This is definitely not the Wisconsin running game of old, but they still prefer to run if they can. If we can't slow down their running game, I don't think it will work out very well for us.