This loss vs. Wisconsin is on Langsdorf...

If this loss is on Langsdorf then the wins are on him too, right?I mean... yeah, there are a lot of things we can second-guess him for tonight. Rolling Tommy out was the first thing I thought of, too. But he's gotten it to work seven times already this year. Damned near got it to work this week.

I think so, yes. To a large degree.

I think he cost us several games last year by insisting on throwing waaaay too much. I gave him a lot of credit in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois stretch for getting TA a lot of easy throws and sticking with a run-heavy game plan.

However, the last three games he's kind of reverted back towards last year. The easy throws have become far less frequesnt - though they did reappear late tonight. And he's done a better job sticking with the run but the last three games he's stuck in a right-up-the-middle rut. Against Purdue 80% of Newby's carries were right up the middle. It wasn't quite as bad tonight but still way too much. You have to do that some to keep the defense honest but it should be 70% outside, 30% inside, not the other way around. Especially with a back that's as good in space as Newby.

Agree with the bolded. The first 5 games, Langs really exploited the defenses. The past 3, not so much. We can talk about injuries to the OL, Carter, etc all day long, but the end of the day he is the OC and has to find a way to counter aggressive defenses. He seems to have reverted back to his old ways. Running to say we run with no play setting up another, passing to TA's weaknesses and ignoring what was working....

What happens when he doesn't have the Jimmys and the Joes to do that? I'm watching FSU and Cook just scored on an outside run. Except it was called inside zone and he bounced it. We don't have that guy right now. Haven't since Ameer.

If this is true....and "we don't have that guy right now"......that's on Riley.

If this loss is on Langsdorf then the wins are on him too, right?I mean... yeah, there are a lot of things we can second-guess him for tonight. Rolling Tommy out was the first thing I thought of, too. But he's gotten it to work seven times already this year. Damned near got it to work this week.

I think he cost us several games last year by insisting on throwing waaaay too much. I gave him a lot of credit in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois stretch for getting TA a lot of easy throws and sticking with a run-heavy game plan.

However, the last three games he's kind of reverted back towards last year. The easy throws have become far less frequesnt - though they did reappear late tonight. And he's done a better job sticking with the run but the last three games he's stuck in a right-up-the-middle rut. Against Purdue 80% of Newby's carries were right up the middle. It wasn't quite as bad tonight but still way too much. You have to do that some to keep the defense honest but it should be 70% outside, 30% inside, not the other way around. Especially with a back that's as good in space as Newby.

Agree with the bolded. The first 5 games, Langs really exploited the defenses. The past 3, not so much. We can talk about injuries to the OL, Carter, etc all day long, but the end of the day he is the OC and has to find a way to counter aggressive defenses. He seems to have reverted back to his old ways. Running to say we run with no play setting up another, passing to TA's weaknesses and ignoring what was working....

What happens when he doesn't have the Jimmys and the Joes to do that? I'm watching FSU and Cook just scored on an outside run. Except it was called inside zone and he bounced it. We don't have that guy right now. Haven't since Ameer.

How do you figure?

Guys, when a pass is called the qb isnt being told where to go. That last play to Morgan had more than one option. Now, this is where the gap is between folks who know football more than others. And this isnt a bad thing. Just the way it is. Langs called a set of routes. He didnt call for the ball to be thrown to that particular route. That decision is on the qb. And you know what. It was the right decision. Morgan beat his guy. Now, if tommy makes the throw over the outside shoulder away from the defender were talking about a win today. But he droped late, a tad inside and allowed the defender to get there. This may seem like a hard throw, but its one of those throws that any qb-even Tommy himself- will tell you has to be routine.

This exactly. That last play should have been a touchdown pass. Tommy is not consistent on throws he should be consistent on. If Tommy throws that last ball to the outside that was a touchdown play plain and simple. Execution on that one.

This is on Langsdorf. He simply doesn't understand how to use the talent he has at Nebraska and continues to try to force it to fit into his box of offensive play calling. This season the Huskers have managed to win 7, not because of Langsdorf, but in spite of him.

If you look back at any of the Huskers' games this season, I'd love someone to point to one where Langsdorf had an effective game plan that was at least efficient through four quarters. They have struggled against inferior talent but managed to play well enough in the 4th quarter to win games. The final score of many Husker games this season make it look as though the offense is competent, but we've all watched the games and if you are honest you will admit how bad the offense has looked this season. (And no...you can't count the victory over the Ducks; Nebraska scored 10 fewer points than their defense is giving up per game this season).

Oh, and I love the attitude that Langsdorf must know what he's doing, he has a job as an FBS offensive coordinator and I don't. Well, that's true, but offensive coordinators (who don't have their best buddy protecting their jobs) get fired all the time for incompetence. Perhaps he was at his best as a position coach. He certainly hasn't done anything to prove that he deserves the position he occupies at Nebraska.

Guys, when a pass is called the qb isnt being told where to go. That last play to Morgan had more than one option. Now, this is where the gap is between folks who know football more than others. And this isnt a bad thing. Just the way it is. Langs called a set of routes. He didnt call for the ball to be thrown to that particular route. That decision is on the qb. And you know what. It was the right decision. Morgan beat his guy. Now, if tommy makes the throw over the outside shoulder away from the defender were talking about a win today. But he droped late, a tad inside and allowed the defender to get there. This may seem like a hard throw, but its one of those throws that any qb-even Tommy himself- will tell you has to be routine.

He called a throw to he thrown where the read dictated. If you knew as much about football as you purport in every post, then you'd know that Tommy threw to the correct read based on the play and coverage.

The throw wasn't even that bad. Morgan did not run a good route. He actually had a number of poor routes, including one that cost a INT against single coverage.

How do you figure?

Because Riley is in his second season and his business card shows his title as Head Football Coach.

When was the last time we didn't have a "difference maker" at running back?

How do you figure?

Because Riley is in his second season and his business card shows his title as Head Football Coach.

We don't have a Dalvin Cook on our roster. Most of our roster is Pelini recruits. Therefore it's Pelinis "fault" we don't have that kind of talent on our roster buy really it's no one's fault because there are only so many players of that caliber out there and sometimes you just don't get them. We have competent and talented backs, but we do not have one of the best players in the nation in our backfield and I am not blaming anyone for that

This exactly. That last play should have been a touchdown pass. Tommy is not consistent on throws he should be consistent on. If Tommy throws that last ball to the outside that was a touchdown play plain and simple. Execution on that one.

All of this. That is the problem. Tommy is not. It's not Tommy's fault; he's a great talent, but not in the system Langdorf wants to run. Tommy shouldn't be passing 27 times a game (31 last night). His passing percentage for his career is just over 50%. The more he throws, the more opportunities are squandered because half of those plays are incomplete (or even worse, intercepted). I've seen Tommy throw a lot of passes like the last pass in OT last night. It is what he is. Calling all those pass plays earlier in the game is what got that game to the point where the Huskers needed OT for a chance at victory. That is on Langsdorf.

How do you figure?

We don't have a Dalvin Cook on our roster. Most of our roster is Pelini recruits. Therefore it's Pelinis "fault" we don't have that kind of talent on our roster buy really it's no one's fault because there are only so many players of that caliber out there and sometimes you just don't get them. We have competent and talented backs, but we do not have one of the best players in the nation in our backfield and I am not blaming anyone for that

Riley seems to be doing pretty well with "Pelini's recruits", wouldn't you say?

Now, with that said, when was the last time we were not absolutely stacked at running back?.........stacked enough that backs like A Green left to seek PT elsewhere because there was more than one NFL caliber back ahead of him.......

In this day and age of college football, freshman "difference makers" are brought in frequently......A Abdullah and our very own #15 are previous examples of that.

All of this. That is the problem. Tommy is not. It's not Tommy's fault; he's a great talent, but not in the system Langdorf wants to run. Tommy shouldn't be passing 27 times a game (31 last night). His passing percentage for his career is just over 50%. The more he throws, the more opportunities are squandered because half of those plays are incomplete (or even worse, intercepted). I've seen Tommy throw a lot of passes like the last pass in OT last night. It is what he is. Calling all those pass plays earlier in the game is what got that game to the point where the Huskers needed OT for a chance at victory. That is on Langsdorf.
We have to throw sometimes. We also ran the ball 44 times last night which is almost 60%. Gotta have some Balance. Also we lead the league in yards per pass attempt so we don't squander that much by passing the ball, in fact we usually get good yardage. I agree we should be doing more to get Tommy easier throws, but at a point, your quarterback just has to throw the ball to the right spot, especially on a pass like the last play. If Tommy drops it over the outside shoulder, something I could do pretty consistently as a very average high school QB, that's a touchdown. Gotta put a little bit of the blame on the execution there

Agree with this post. Tommy totally telegraphed his drop back passes, which is why many of them were batted down and contributed to his two interceptions. This is just Tommy! Most fans, media people, and even opposing coaches accept Tommy for what he is...a great, tough runner and decent, play action passer around the edges. Finally, if Langsdorf does have Tommy drop back to pass, then design the play to have him look to the opposite side of his prime targeted receiver, then to back to his main target...or a pump, fake.