This loss vs. Wisconsin is on Langsdorf...

Like I said earlier, I think a lot of this has to do with the type of plays being called. Langs was doing a great job of managing TA early in the year - giving him easy throws. He's largely gone away from that the last three games.

https://twitter.com/danhoppen/status/792737178040225792

and why is that? I think hes still banged up. Ladt night ge had the one throw where he fell down cuz ge obviously had a tweek in his foot. Now his back is feeling some pain. This is the problem with the coveted running quarterback that folks started to flip on again after the oregon win. When hes not healthy enough to run effectively, whats your contingency? RPOs arent clicking cuz theres no complexity and the run isnt a legit threat. Theres was another play last night on a 3rd and short where Tommy scrambled and looked to have 5-7 yards easy but he looked so slow and the defense closed and he then ran laterally and barely got it. Im tellin ya guys. I thinks hes hurtin worse than we want to admit. And its affectin throwing mechanics as well.

If he's banged up, we should be throwing more of the easy throws, not less.

And if he's that hurt that he can't run and can't complete 40% of his passes, we should be playing someone else. The story used to be the coaching staff were idiots if they kept playing someone who was too injured to be effective. Ffye can't be that bad that he can't complete 40%.

It wasn't Fyfe's completion percentage that lost the Purdue game last year.

I agree. It was having him pass it 48 times that was the biggest contributor.

We couldn't seem to get it going on the ground that day. 77 yards on 29 attempts for a 2.7 ypc average. That just isn't cutting it. How many more times do you think we should have run it when it was working so poorly?

Maybe the biggest contributor wasn't the fact that he threw 48 times for over 400 yards, but just maybe it was his poor decisions that resulted in 4 interceptions...and wasn't the fumble credited to him as well for a total of 5 turnovers? Five turnovers will kill you dead.

Oddly enough when you lose 25 yards on a fumbled snap on a called pass play that counts against the rushing stats, it hurts the average. Plus get sacked twice, losing 18 yards. Again counting against the rushing stats.

Newby averaged 5.6 yards per carry. Cross averaged 4.9. Reilly had got 20 yards on his only jet sweep. The running game was plenty productive to move the ball. We just didn't stick with it.

And oddly enough, we don't discount sacks and fumbled snaps from the running stats of games. We averaged 2.7 ypc for the game.

So to make your point you have to use failed pass plays to try to say the running game wasn't working.

I hope you stretched before those gymnastics.

I thought the play-calling was pretty good. Team was mentally prepared. Defense has really grown.

Offense, Defense and Special Teams all stepped up under pressure.

We lost at a notoriously difficult stadium to a Top 10 team, with a chance to win on the final play.

Nebraska has a lot more respect in college football today than it did a week ago.

• Fire 3

If this loss is on Langsdorf then the wins are on him too, right?I mean... yeah, there are a lot of things we can second-guess him for tonight. Rolling Tommy out was the first thing I thought of, too. But he's gotten it to work seven times already this year. Damned near got it to work this week.

I think so, yes. To a large degree.

I think he cost us several games last year by insisting on throwing waaaay too much. I gave him a lot of credit in the Oregon-Northwestern-Illinois stretch for getting TA a lot of easy throws and sticking with a run-heavy game plan.However, the last three games he's kind of reverted back towards last year. The easy throws have become far less frequesnt - though they did reappear late tonight. And he's done a better job sticking with the run but the last three games he's stuck in a right-up-the-middle rut. Against Purdue 80% of Newby's carries were right up the middle. It wasn't quite as bad tonight but still way too much. You have to do that some to keep the defense honest but it should be 70% outside, 30% inside, not the other way around. Especially with a back that's as good in space as Newby.

Agree with the bolded. The first 5 games, Langs really exploited the defenses. The past 3, not so much. We can talk about injuries to the OL, Carter, etc all day long, but the end of the day he is the OC and has to find a way to counter aggressive defenses. He seems to have reverted back to his old ways. Running to say we run with no play setting up another, passing to TA's weaknesses and ignoring what was working....
What happens when he doesn't have the Jimmys and the Joes to do that? I'm watching FSU and Cook just scored on an outside run. Except it was called inside zone and he bounced it. We don't have that guy right now. Haven't since Ameer.
If this is true....and "we don't have that guy right now"......that's on Riley.
How do you figure?
Because Riley is in his second season and his business card shows his title as Head Football Coach.

When was the last time we didn't have a "difference maker" at running back?

TheSker- Just wanted to take this opprtunity to welcome you back to the board. Your absence while the team was compiling a 7-0 record was....uh, noticeable. Many posited that you would return when/if the team lost a game and you did not disappoint. I just wish everyone could be such a great and supportive fan as you. You really are a special one.

+1 JJ.

Funny how things work!

• Fire 1

I thought the play-calling was pretty good. Team was mentally prepared. Defense has really grown.

Offense, Defense and Special Teams all stepped up under pressure.

We lost at a notoriously difficult stadium to a Top 10 team, with a chance to win on the final play.

Nebraska has a lot more respect in college football today than it did a week ago.

I feel the same way Guy +1. Not happy with a loss but it happened and we represented.

Langsdorf was really good in the first few games. After the bye, I feel like his play calling really, really, really tanked. Instead of trying new things when the old ones don't work, he just sticks with the old ones and hopes they work at some point. Thus, running Newby up the middle constantly.

Like I said earlier, I think a lot of this has to do with the type of plays being called. Langs was doing a great job of managing TA early in the year - giving him easy throws. He's largely gone away from that the last three games.

how closely do the injuries to Westerkamp and Carter line up with those declining stats?

how closely do the injuries to Westerkamp and Carter line up with those declining stats?

Like spot on. They both went down in the Illinois game. We've played the 3 games since.

it's one thing to lose Westerkamp. it's a whole nother to lose your best edge blocker and phenomenal athlete at TE that does so much to draw attention of safties, nickels, and Sams. We lost em both.

If Carter really gets back to "good to go" by saturday, I'm gonna have a really hard time picking against us. Cuz Carters presence as a pass catcher also does so much for our edge run game outside of simply blocking. it's all about matchups. God bless Cotton. he's been sneaky god. And 2 years ago he coulda ran off after all the went down, but he manned and made something of it. But DC's are not scared of the multi threats of Cotton.

• Fire 1

Yep, having a healthy Cethan could do wonders for us, and I believe had he been healthy for the Wisc game, would have made the difference in our run game as well. Having him in there gives TA some options that are not there without him. It has been noticeably different.

These coaches throwing their players under the bus again ;)

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/husker-notes-four-overtime-plays-haunting-to-mike-riley/article_2ba1825e-7632-5f8b-9d63-af210561dc0f.html

LINCOLN — Nebraska ran four plays on its overtime possession against Wisconsin. NU gained two yards on those plays and lost 23-17.

Husker coach Mike Riley said Monday that each play had more potential, starting with the very first one — a read option run out of the pistol formation. Quarterback Tommy Armstrong gave the ball to running back Terrell Newby, who gained three yards. Had Armstrong kept the ball and ran around the left end, his lead blocker — fullback Luke McNitt — had walled off his man.

“Tommy ended up giving the ball — and it might not have been a clean look at it — but, boy, it had great capabilities if he had kept it, with the position we had and blocking on the edge,” Riley said. “That’s kind of haunting and tough to look back on.”

"Haunting and tough to look back on"

Ok...

Well, so much for the notion that Riley doesn't blame players.

There's a difference between blaming and accountability. And I was never one that ragged on Bo for such a notion that he did the same. Cuz it's the truth. bo always we didnt execute. Well. Isnt it the truth. The problem that needs solved is being able to do the coaching to get them to execute. And I will agree that if we want to get to where we wanna go this year, these coaches have to find a way to get Tommy to execute the things that are open. This particular play isnt the only one that was left out there by lack of decision making or execution.

"Haunting and tough to look back on"

Ok...

Well, so much for the notion that Riley doesn't blame players.

There's a difference between blaming and accountability. And I was never one that ragged on Bo for such a notion that he did the same. Cuz it's the truth. bo always we didnt execute. Well. Isnt it the truth. The problem that needs solved is being able to do the coaching to get them to execute. And I will agree that if we want to get to where we wanna go this year, these coaches have to find a way to get Tommy to execute the things that are open. This particular play isnt the only one that was left out there by lack of decision making or execution.

every team in the country from high school on up to the pros go over game film and finds mistakes and tries to correct them for the next game. it's only a bad thing when the husker coaches do that according to cm

The problem isn't finding mistakes and correcting them.

The problem is discussing specific plays publicly, which people will latch onto in their player blaming arguments.

It's also a problem to highlight a possible error by a player in a way that implies that error cost the team the game.

He basically said: our plays were drawn up well, but on each of them guys failed and left the production untapped.

Well, if failure is happening every time, is that on the players or the coaches?