This loss vs. Wisconsin is on Langsdorf...

There is no evidence that this team is more or less mentally strong than the '95 or '97 or a dozen other teams since 1994.

People are starting to lose it falling all over themselves about a close loss to a less talented team that was similarly injured.

And before people mention Camp Randall, remember that Georgia state played them just as tough there.

I love this team's effort so far, but that sort of talk is just setting them up for failure.

It's a good thing the coaches are still being hard (some would say too hard?) on the players, then, right?

I'm not worried about a little fan optimism (or more accurately, a lack of pessimism) setting up the team for failure.

Good point. I worded that wrong.

I don't mean that fan talk will cause failure. I mean that the fan backlash (especially against the players) will be 10x worse if we build the first half of this season into something it wasn't. I'd hate to see that happen.

side note: I don't think there's anything wrong with coaches being hard on players, especially if the players understand where the coach is coming from. But I hate when it's done publicly, by this staff or any other coaches.

Someone noted above that there's a lack of chemistry between Langs and Armstrong. I think that's probably fairly accurate. It's unfortunate that we have that sort of insight, though - especially because it's based almost entirely on Langs' comments about Armstrong's perceived failures.

Me too. I'd definitely caution against building us up too much. I think most of us aren't, though -- and there are those who have had their fingers sitting on the backlash trigger regardless.

I mean, we could end the season 7-5. I hope not, but almost every week it's been a fight late into the game.

I also think that backlash will be worse if we say that Wisconsin was a team we should have beaten. But, I'll agree that competing with Wisconsin, while a plus, isn't any more positive than Northwestern hanging with Ohio State. I'm skeptical that this team will be able to stay in the Top 15 by season's end. It'll be pretty special if they do.

There is no evidence that this team is more or less mentally strong than the '95 or '97 or a dozen other teams since 1994.

People are starting to lose it falling all over themselves about a close loss to a less talented team that was similarly injured.

And before people mention Camp Randall, remember that Georgia state played them just as tough there.

I love this team's effort so far, but that sort of talk is just setting them up for failure.

The notion that this team is mentally strong is not a new concept after this loss. it's something that has been there all year after all that has gone one in the offseason. Then confirmed with strong 4th quarter play, and the best understanding of the 4 quarter concept that we've seen in a long time.

Until Wisconsin, I don't think one could point to a game where NU played well for four quarters this year. We had a number of slow starts against inferior opponents.

The 4th quarter play is just as attributable to the fact that NU has been athletically superior to at least 7 of it's 9 opponents this year as it has been to mental toughness.

I like what this team is doing though. They can only play the teams that are scheduled, and for the most part they've taken care of business.

I just think I'm reacting to this narrative that "all of the last guyS' teams were mentally weak and this new guy's team isn't" when there's not much evidence to support either part of that argument.

Me too. I'd definitely caution against building us up too much. I think most of us aren't, though -- and there are those who have had their fingers sitting on the backlash trigger regardless.

I mean, we could end the season 7-5. I hope not, but almost every week it's been a fight late into the game.

I also think that backlash will be worse if we say that Wisconsin was a team we should have beaten. But, I'll agree that competing with Wisconsin, while a plus, isn't any more positive than Northwestern hanging with Ohio State. I'm skeptical that this team will be able to stay in the Top 15 by season's end. It'll be pretty special if they do.

Agreed. I'd love to see this group of seniors leave on a high note in light of everything they've endured - going all the way back to 2013 and the rumors that swirled throughout that year.

They've had a tumultuous career at NU.

• Fire 1

Honestly, if you pull the "no evidence" card on an abstract quantity one more time, I might straight up ban you on the spot just for making my head hurt.

OF COURSE THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR THIS. YOU DON'T HAVE ANY EVIDENCE THAT IT'S WRONG EITHER. THAT'S HOW THINGS WORK - PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS. THEY AREN'T ALWAYS BASED ON FACTS. THAT DOESN'T MAKE THEM WRONG.

:rant

Sorry.

I'm better now.

I think.

• Fire 3

I honestly don't understand your reaction here, Mav.

Opinions can be demonstrably wrong (some people still believe the moon is made of cheese or that the earth is the center of the universe).

Even "abstract" ones should be supportable by at least some evidence. If I said "Riley is the worst coach in the history of the game," that's demonstrably wrong, even if it's an abstract opinion.

My statement in that post was to prompt a defense of what insee as a pretty outlandish opinion. I wasn't saying he couldn't have that opinion though.

Hell, I didn't even say he was empirically wrong. Just that there's no way for us to know that one way or the other.

Do you believe that this team is mentally stronger than any since 1994?

Bo Pelini would have blown out Wisconsin last weekend for sure.

I disagree.

But since I know you were directing this at me, I have to point out how amusing it is that you can't resist misstating and overstating my opinions even when you have "ammo" in you pocket:

Pelinis huskers would have likely crushed that delapidated wisky team.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81258-these-arent-bo-pelinis-cornhuskers-folks/&do=findComment&comment=1761311

Tommy Armstrong is wildly talented and maddeningly inconsistent.

Everyone who observes college football has noticed this. I don't think any of them blame the coaches. The history of football is full of these enigmas.

Tommy has been our best chance to win for the past three seasons. He still leaves a lot of opportunities on the field.

Is that blaming the player?

Kinda.

But he's kinda earned that reputation.

If you want him to pass less and zone read more, I'm sure Defensive Coordinators would be happy to make that adjustment.

But if you're a coach and you know Tommy can make the play because he makes it half the time, do you stop calling it just because there's a 50/50 chance he won't?

Bo Pelini would have blown out Wisconsin last weekend for sure.

I disagree.

But since I know you were directing this at me, I have to point out how amusing it is that you can't resist misstating and overstating my opinions even when you have "ammo" in you pocket:

Pelinis huskers would have likely crushed that delapidated wisky team.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/81258-these-arent-bo-pelinis-cornhuskers-folks/&do=findComment&comment=1761311

Nah I wasn't referencing you.

I was just making an abstract claim based on some supporting evidence.

• Fire 1