How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

The point is that he never stays around long enough to see anything through. He may very well not be at Michigan a couple of years from now. This thread all started out as why aren't we like Michigan. At season's end, the only thing that might separate us from Michigan is one loss. They beat Wisconsin at home while we lost to Wisconsin away in overtime.

The point is that he never stays around long enough to see anything through. He may very well not be at Michigan a couple of years from now. This thread all started out as why aren't we like Michigan. At season's end, the only thing that might separate us from Michigan is one loss. They beat Wisconsin at home while we lost to Wisconsin away in overtime.

He never stays anywhere long enough? You're acting like he's done this a handful of times.

He left Stanford for an NFL gig at one the most storied franchises in the league. Anyone outside of maybe a Stanford alum would have made that move. He instantly made them into the best team in the NFL with Colin Kaepernick at QB. If it weren't for one lackluster first half he would be a Super Bowl champion. Which brings me to my next point. The 49ers GM was way too controlling. I don't blame Harbaugh one bit for getting out of there. He knows what he's doing when it comes to building and coaching a football team, and it's understandable that he doesn't want someone else breathing down his neck.

Now he has the keys at his alma mater, one of the blue bloods in college football. He's most definitely a top three coach in the college ranks, and one of the others happens to coach for their bitter rivals. I don't see him leaving any time soon, if ever. There isn't a single college opening in the country that he'd take over UM, so you're saying he might dash for the NFL again. I don't agree with that. He had plenty of NFL suitors when he left San Fran. If he really wanted to be in the NFL he wouldn't have left. I think he likes recruiting and teaching kids about football and life.

Anyways, this thread is about what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan that Riley isn't doing at NU. You're resorting to saying you don't consider Harbaugh elite because he might leave soon? That's not what this thread is even about. It's about 1) Harbaugh being an elite football coach and 2) Michigan having great recruits in place when he arrived. You can see the kind of leader he is just by watching a press conference. He just toys with everybody because he's ahead of the game mentally, and the game I'm referring to isn't football. It's life.

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

Of course he's a better fit. It's his alma mater. All coaches fit at their alma mater. Doesn't always mean they're good, obviously (look at Neuheisel and UCLA), but Harbaugh is up on the level with Saban and Urban. He has the ability to turn teams around overnight, something that not even Saban could do. I mean, he gave USC their first loss at the Coliseum in 6 years back in 2007. Riley is obviously not the kind to turn teams around at the flick of a switch, which is why we need to be patient before we call for his firing. We are 7-2, no way he will be fired after this year. Neither will Banker unless his defense is as bad as last night. Langsdorf and Read could be shown the door and I'd be fine with that. A good HC fires his incompetent coordinators, and we need to see if HCMR can do that first.

Who hired the incompetent coordinators? Banker has been with MR for many years, MR should know his capabilities by now.

defense has carried us this year. Better tailor the Banker hate for a bit.

I don't see Banker ever getting fired by MR. He has been his buddy for many years.

With the exception of this one sh#t game, I cannot see a single bad performance by the defense. Banker can stay provided he gets sternly told to work against the spread, as we play OSU and Oregon again next year. If he doesn't fire Read and Danny because they're his buddies at the end of the season, then I'll question him.

Banker is an idiot! Why give him a pass? It isn't hard to play D against the offenses we have faced>

If you think that is the only thing separating us I want what your smokin dude

1. Even through RichRod and Hoke, Michigan recruited well and managed their roster competitively.

2. Harbaugh appears to be a hell of a coach. Props where it's due.

3. Success at this level is hard to sustain. These are good times for Michigan. They'll be hoping for even better ones. But there will be worse days, under Harbaugh. Probably.

4. He might be Urban Meyer redux.

• Fire 1

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

Of course he's a better fit. It's his alma mater. All coaches fit at their alma mater. Doesn't always mean they're good, obviously (look at Neuheisel and UCLA), but Harbaugh is up on the level with Saban and Urban. He has the ability to turn teams around overnight, something that not even Saban could do. I mean, he gave USC their first loss at the Coliseum in 6 years back in 2007. Riley is obviously not the kind to turn teams around at the flick of a switch, which is why we need to be patient before we call for his firing. We are 7-2, no way he will be fired after this year. Neither will Banker unless his defense is as bad as last night. Langsdorf and Read could be shown the door and I'd be fine with that. A good HC fires his incompetent coordinators, and we need to see if HCMR can do that first.

Who hired the incompetent coordinators? Banker has been with MR for many years, MR should know his capabilities by now.

defense has carried us this year. Better tailor the Banker hate for a bit.

I don't see Banker ever getting fired by MR. He has been his buddy for many years.

With the exception of this one sh#t game, I cannot see a single bad performance by the defense. Banker can stay provided he gets sternly told to work against the spread, as we play OSU and Oregon again next year. If he doesn't fire Read and Danny because they're his buddies at the end of the season, then I'll question him.

Banker is an idiot! Why give him a pass? It isn't hard to play D against the offenses we have faced>

The only offense besides last game where we performed pretty much below expectations against is Illinois. Wyoming has a good offense, same with Oregon. Northwestern has a good offense, Indiana's offense is decent, Purdue's is not trash. Our defense has been way improved from last year. What I do not see an improvement in is offense or special teams.

The reason we are not an instant contender is pretty simple. The kind of talent we have doesn't fit the kind of scheme that our coaches are comfortable coaching. You can say what you want but it's very hard for a group of coaches that are extremely well versed in the pro style type offense to take over a program with a QB that is far from what they are accustomed too, and an OL with about as much quality depth as Arkansas State and be able to turn that into a prolific offense. And in all honesty they have done a decent job.

Then there is the defense, one that lost 2 NFL caliber DT's and the kids that Bo recruited do not fit what this staff wants to do on defense. And it showed against OSU. Bo recruited kids that fit his system, a system that was very effective against traditional pocket passers but struggled mightily against mobile QB's and any kind of run game.

HCMR and staff has so far been the better at recruiting what seems to be a higher caliber of talent and it will take some time to get his recruits in order and on the field. Once he does we should have a very quality program but it usually takes 4-5 years before that happens. Coaches like Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, and Fisher are the exception not the rule. Be glad we didn't hire the likes of Will Muschamp.

We are not going to be winning the conference 4 yrs. from now either, just not gonna happen

Seriously? Can you stop trolling and try to be positive for once? It's not impossible for anyone to win the conference in 4 years, hell, Illinois could win it in 4 years.

How am I trolling?I am going by the probabilities, sure anything can happen, you might get hit by a meteor tommorrow but the chances are very slim. From where the east teams are and we are coaching and personnel wise, it is very very unlikely If you take the homer out of it you can see.

The reason we are not an instant contender is pretty simple. The kind of talent we have doesn't fit the kind of scheme that our coaches are comfortable coaching. You can say what you want but it's very hard for a group of coaches that are extremely well versed in the pro style type offense to take over a program with a QB that is far from what they are accustomed too, and an OL with about as much quality depth as Arkansas State and be able to turn that into a prolific offense. And in all honesty they have done a decent job.

Then there is the defense, one that lost 2 NFL caliber DT's and the kids that Bo recruited do not fit what this staff wants to do on defense. And it showed against OSU. Bo recruited kids that fit his system, a system that was very effective against traditional pocket passers but struggled mightily against mobile QB's and any kind of run game.

HCMR and staff has so far been the better at recruiting what seems to be a higher caliber of talent and it will take some time to get his recruits in order and on the field. Once he does we should have a very quality program but it usually takes 4-5 years before that happens. Coaches like Harbaugh, Meyer, Saban, and Fisher are the exception not the rule. Be glad we didn't hire the likes of Will Muschamp.

We are not going to be winning the conference 4 yrs. from now either, just not gonna happen

Seriously? Can you stop trolling and try to be positive for once? It's not impossible for anyone to win the conference in 4 years, hell, Illinois could win it in 4 years.

How am I trolling?I am going by the probabilities, sure anything can happen, you might get hit by a meteor tommorrow but the chances are very slim

You're making it sound like we're Rutgers. We are not a bad team. I see a legit chance of us having relevance in the next couple of years. Yes, we need to change stuff. But we can do it.

How am I trolling?I am going by the probabilities, sure anything can happen, you might get hit by a meteor tommorrow but the chances are very slim

You're making it sound like we're Rutgers. We are not a bad team. I see a legit chance of us having relevance in the next couple of years. Yes, we need to change stuff. But we can do it.

I didn't say we are a bad team , just very far away from being good enough to win the conference!!!! We will be doing good to win the division with any regularity

He never stays anywhere long enough? You're acting like he's done this a handful of times.

He left Stanford for an NFL gig at one the most storied franchises in the league. Anyone outside of maybe a Stanford alum would have made that move. He instantly made them into the best team in the NFL with Colin Kaepernick at QB. If it weren't for one lackluster first half he would be a Super Bowl champion. Which brings me to my next point. The 49ers GM was way too controlling. I don't blame Harbaugh one bit for getting out of there. He knows what he's doing when it comes to building and coaching a football team, and it's understandable that he doesn't want someone else breathing down his neck.

Now he has the keys at his alma mater, one of the blue bloods in college football. He's most definitely a top three coach in the college ranks, and one of the others happens to coach for their bitter rivals. I don't see him leaving any time soon, if ever. There isn't a single college opening in the country that he'd take over UM, so you're saying he might dash for the NFL again. I don't agree with that. He had plenty of NFL suitors when he left San Fran. If he really wanted to be in the NFL he wouldn't have left. I think he likes recruiting and teaching kids about football and life.

Anyways, this thread is about what Harbaugh is doing at Michigan that Riley isn't doing at NU. You're resorting to saying you don't consider Harbaugh elite because he might leave soon? That's not what this thread is even about. It's about 1) Harbaugh being an elite football coach and 2) Michigan having great recruits in place when he arrived. You can see the kind of leader he is just by watching a press conference. He just toys with everybody because he's ahead of the game mentally, and the game I'm referring to isn't football. It's life.

First bolded part: He spent a season under Clownahan at the Raider. Then, he was HC at the University of San Diego for three years. Next, he was HC at Stanford for four years. Then, he was HC at San Francisco for four years. Finally, he's HC at Michigan. Yeah, that's a handful of times.

I never said Harbaugh wasn't elite because he might leave soon. I simply stated he hasn't won anything yet. He hasn't won a national championship. He hasn't won a Super Bowl. He hasn't even won a conference championship. Michigan had great recruits when Harbaugh arrived. Michigan has yet to play Ohio State. I doubt they get the drubbing we got, but I'd be willing to wager they lose.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach. However, I'm not willing to put him with the likes of Saban, Meyer, Belichick, etc. until he wins something of significance.

Gene Chizik inherited a 5-7 Auburn team. In year two, he won a NC. Why aren't we talking about Chizik and how was Auburn an instant contender? There's a coach and a team that won something of significance. It doesn't fit the narrative now does it? Or, maybe we should talk about Brian Kelly and how he turned Notre Dame into a contender in year three. Let's let this season and the next couple play out before everyone goes all in on the Harbaugh train.

• Fire 1

I didn't say we are a bad team , just very far away from being good enough to win the conference!!!! We will be doing good to win the division with any regularity

That's some straight LOSER mentality right there!!! Bring back TO and them Mackovicka boys. Them boys were tru warriorz! Let's go drink some Old Styles and talk about who the best FB was in Nebraska history Marko Polo.

This. COULD we win a conference title in the next 4 years? Well, yeah. None of us have that crystal ball that was referred to. But will we? I'd bet no. As much as it sucks to say, I think Nebraska football is destined to be just like we've been the last 8 or so years. We could have a flash-in-the-pan type of season once in awhile and make the playoff or something crazy, but I just think our recruiting disadvantages are too great for us to ever become a powerhouse again. Kids will always prioritize playing close to home, so until Omaha and Lincoln start producing top tier athletes I don't see it happening. Am I a negative person for thinking that? I don't think so. I'm just analyzing the situation.

By the way, football won't be around for the next generation to enjoy anyways. Not enough kids are going to be playing with all of the concussion knowledge.

• Fire 3

That's some straight LOSER mentality right there!!! Bring back TO and them Mackovicka boys. Them boys were tru warriorz! Let's go drink some Old Styles and talk about who the best FB was in Nebraska history Marko Polo.

What part do you disagree with xmas?