How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

Of course he's a better fit. It's his alma mater. All coaches fit at their alma mater. Doesn't always mean they're good, obviously (look at Neuheisel and UCLA), but Harbaugh is up on the level with Saban and Urban. He has the ability to turn teams around overnight, something that not even Saban could do. I mean, he gave USC their first loss at the Coliseum in 6 years back in 2007. Riley is obviously not the kind to turn teams around at the flick of a switch, which is why we need to be patient before we call for his firing. We are 7-2, no way he will be fired after this year. Neither will Banker unless his defense is as bad as last night. Langsdorf and Read could be shown the door and I'd be fine with that. A good HC fires his incompetent coordinators, and we need to see if HCMR can do that first.

Langsdorf is not incompetent.

• Fire 1

Still waiting to hear people give realistic options of 'perfect fit' coaches that would come here if we open up the checkbook.

it's tough to debate. We dont know one way or another cuz we havent ever really "opened up" the checkbook.

it will be interesting to see 2-4/5 years down the road, if this staff continues to improve the recruiting, and winds up legitimately increasing the talent level accross teh board, but can still cant get the wins and we decide to go in another directions, it will be interesting to see if we become a more desireable destination.

it's possible to vastly improve an overall national perception of this place without necessarily playing for natty's every year.

I am not sure if there has ever been a more perfect hire than JH and Meyer for their schools. It sort of is just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Kind of like how Tom Osborne was a perfect hire for NU in 1972. While Osborne wasn't a NU grad, he was a native Nebraskan who was in the right place in the right time to take over for Devaney.

NU has been trying to fill those shoes for 20 years.

Umm what? Tom was with the program since '64, was a proven OC by '72

I understand that Tom was with the program in the 60's and was a proven OC, but it was still somewhat of a controversial hire by Devaney, as there were more seasoned assistant coaches on his staff.

My point was that sometimes it's pure luck to have someone with ties to the state or program that turns out to be a great coach and is a good fit for the program.

I was alive back then but I don't recall ANY controversy on Osborne being named the head coach. I mean come on, he was just put in that postition by a God, Devaney. Not only did Devaney make Nebraska relevant again but he won back to back national titles. The man was revered in the State.

How many P5 conference championships does Jim Harbaugh currently have?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Why ask such a needlessly restrictive answer to try and paint him in a not-as-successful light? He's an elite coach. Deal with it.

He is a great coach, but name another P5 coach that gets the stroke, and play he does even though he has never brought home any kind of P5 trophy.

• Fire 2

How many P5 conference championships does Jim Harbaugh currently have?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Why ask such a needlessly restrictive answer to try and paint him in a not-as-successful light? He's an elite coach. Deal with it.

He is a great coach, but name another P5 coach that gets the stroke, and play he does even though he has never brought home any kind of P5 trophy.

It's because he's a great coach that he gets the stroke and play even though he has never won any sort of Power 5 championship. Harbaugh is one of the greats and history will likely show him as one of the all time greats.

• Fire 1

He's only in his sixth year as a P5 coach, and the first three were rebuilding years at dead-in-the-water Stanford. Since then,

2010 - Went 12-1, missing the Pac-10 championship to Oregon who'd go on to be within a time-expiring field goal of winning the National Championship.

2015 - Went 10-3, losing to #16 Utah by one score, #6 Michigan State by one score (while having lead for 60 minutes of the game), and #4 Ohio State.

2016 - Currently 9-0, ranked #2, beating most teams by about 30-40 points.

• Fire 1

He's only in his sixth year as a P5 coach, and the first three were rebuilding years at dead-in-the-water Stanford. Since then,

2010 - Went 12-1, missing the Pac-10 championship to Oregon who'd go on to be within a time-expiring field goal of winning the National Championship.

2015 - Went 10-3, losing to #16 Utah by one score, #6 Michigan State by one score (while having lead for 60 minutes of the game), and #4 Ohio State.

2016 - Currently 9-0, ranked #2, beating most teams by about 30-40 points.

dont forget the win over top ranked USC on the road in his first year at Stanford, when Stanford was still total garbage.

• Fire 1

Harbaugh might not be a better coach (or he may be) but he certainly is a better leader. And a better fit for MU than Riley for NU

In college football you have to get "The" coach. Not "A" coach. They did. You can look back at what I typed here then: Michigan got Harbaugh and suddenly they are good.

College is about emotion. When the players know they are playing for "The Man" they will buy in completely. Like huskers bought in for Osborne. Bama for Bryant. KSt. players for Snyder.

Of course he's a better fit. It's his alma mater. All coaches fit at their alma mater. Doesn't always mean they're good, obviously (look at Neuheisel and UCLA), but Harbaugh is up on the level with Saban and Urban. He has the ability to turn teams around overnight, something that not even Saban could do. I mean, he gave USC their first loss at the Coliseum in 6 years back in 2007. Riley is obviously not the kind to turn teams around at the flick of a switch, which is why we need to be patient before we call for his firing. We are 7-2, no way he will be fired after this year. Neither will Banker unless his defense is as bad as last night. Langsdorf and Read could be shown the door and I'd be fine with that. A good HC fires his incompetent coordinators, and we need to see if HCMR can do that first.

Who hired the incompetent coordinators? Banker has been with MR for many years, MR should know his capabilities by now.

Who hired the incompetent coordinators? Banker has been with MR for many years, MR should know his capabilities by now.

defense has carried us this year. Better tailor the Banker hate for a bit.

I don't see Banker ever getting fired by MR. He has been his buddy for many years.

I don't see Banker ever getting fired by MR. He has been his buddy for many years.

They both got BFF bracelets a few years ago at a Corvallis fair. Nothing can destroy that relationship.

I am not sure if there has ever been a more perfect hire than JH and Meyer for their schools. It sort of is just one of those things that happens sometimes.

Kind of like how Tom Osborne was a perfect hire for NU in 1972. While Osborne wasn't a NU grad, he was a native Nebraskan who was in the right place in the right time to take over for Devaney.

NU has been trying to fill those shoes for 20 years.

Umm what? Tom was with the program since '64, was a proven OC by '72

I understand that Tom was with the program in the 60's and was a proven OC, but it was still somewhat of a controversial hire by Devaney, as there were more seasoned assistant coaches on his staff.

My point was that sometimes it's pure luck to have someone with ties to the state or program that turns out to be a great coach and is a good fit for the program.

I was alive back then but I don't recall ANY controversy on Osborne being named the head coach. I mean come on, he was just put in that postition by a God, Devaney. Not only did Devaney make Nebraska relevant again but he won back to back national titles. The man was revered in the State.
Are you familiar with Monte Kiffin?