How is Michigan an instant contender after two season with a new coach?

airboose

If Michigan ends up at 12-2 and we end up at 11-2, they'll be miles ahead of us. Our 11 wins aren't nothing, but they aren't the same as beating several top ten teams and dominating almost everyone else by 4-5+ touchdowns while having an elite defense.

Unless we beat Iowa. Then we are better than them, and they will have to lick the bottom of our boots for the entire offseason. :thumbs:

• Fire 2

How many P5 conference championships does Jim Harbaugh currently have?

I'll hang up and listen to the answer.

Why ask such a needlessly restrictive answer to try and paint him in a not-as-successful light? He's an elite coach. Deal with it.

You seem to have a similar outlook to mine on our current coaches so I'm surprised at this response. Given the context I doubt this person is saying JH is a bad coach. But people are jumping the gun talking about how much more awesome he and Michigan are than Riley and Nebraska. Their past 2 seasons have been better than ours, but 2 seasons is not enough to go on and Michigan hasn't won a title yet.

If Michigan ends up at 12-2 after losing the conference championship and we end at 11-2, they can say they played in the conference championship game. All I feel about Nebraska's last 2 conf. championship games is disappointment that we lost. I don't see them as an extra accomplishment.

I would say this is a huge "if"! I don't see Michigan in the conference championship. I see Ohio State laying the wood to them. Given the scenario that both Nebraska and Michigan end up as two loss teams to finish the season before the bowl games, I still say Riley has accomplished more when regarding what each inherited.

I would agree with Junior on this.

Considering Michigan had two top 10 recruiting classes while we had none, they should be ahead of us. You can't just look at two coaches who started at their respective schools at the same time and put them on equal terms when one starts with a lot more tools than the other one. If we're just going to make every job equal, Larry Coker is the greatest college football coach ever because he won a NC his very first year.

• Fire 1

When Michigan lost to Iowa, it greatly increased their chances of beating Ohio State.

I don't understand this logic.

A well coached team is going to have one stinker every season. They probably won't have two. Iowa got the yips out of the way.

Harbaugh will double down, knowing that beating Ohio State cures everything, regardless of a National Championship.

As noted, Urban Meyer is in the same position.

Assuming the Huskers win out these last two games in conference race but don't get to Indy, then win a bowl game (a pretty good one presumably), then we finish 11-2 with a solid finish and one of the two losses was an overtime nail biter with Wisconsin (Big Ten west champs) and a brutal loss to potentially the number one, two or three team nationally in the end. That really IS a big step forward for the program from where it has been in the past 10 years. The end of year two is not too bad for Riley in that sense. If we could have managed to win several of those nail biters last year, we might see things as being 'on the rise' and quite hopeful.

All this requires this year's team: 1. Get healthy! 2. Get a few good bounces along the way. 3. Avoid the God awful officials (we had a couple bad ones vs. Minne that would have been killers vs a tope ten team).

The dark storm cloud looming threateningly on the horizon and headed easterly toward Lincoln is 2017's team. I am very fearful that the graduations this year and lack of depth, especially at QB, RBs, WRs, and lines will produce another LOSING season. For example, had we lost Tommy A in game two for the entire season, we would certainly have a losing record and might have won no more than a couple games. The entire program would be in implosion mode. Just my thinking. Tommy Armstrong may not be the best QB in Nebraska history but certainly among the top three in terms of MOST VITAL PLAYER. I can't think of any former player more important to his team's succes than Tommy A. Even Tommy Frazier had a quality backup typically.

Considering Michigan had two top 10 recruiting classes while we had none, they should be ahead of us. You can't just look at two coaches who started at their respective schools at the same time and put them on equal terms when one starts with a lot more tools than the other one. If we're just going to make every job equal, Larry Coker is the greatest college football coach ever because he won a NC his very first year.

LOL excellent Larry Coker argument.

Assuming the Huskers win out these last two games in conference race but don't get to Indy, then win a bowl game (a pretty good one presumably), then we finish 11-2 with a solid finish and one of the two losses was an overtime nail biter with Wisconsin (Big Ten west champs) and a brutal loss to potentially the number one, two or three team nationally in the end. That really IS a big step forward for the program from where it has been in the past 10 years. The end of year two is not too bad for Riley in that sense. If we could have managed to win several of those nail biters last year, we might see things as being 'on the rise' and quite hopeful.

All this requires this year's team: 1. Get healthy! 2. Get a few good bounces along the way. 3. Avoid the God awful officials (we had a couple bad ones vs. Minne that would have been killers vs a tope ten team).

The dark storm cloud looming threateningly on the horizon and headed easterly toward Lincoln is 2017's team. I am very fearful that the graduations this year and lack of depth, especially at QB, RBs, WRs, and lines will produce another LOSING season. For example, had we lost Tommy A in game two for the entire season, we would certainly have a losing record and might have won no more than a couple games. The entire program would be in implosion mode. Just my thinking. Tommy Armstrong may not be the best QB in Nebraska history but certainly among the top three in terms of MOST VITAL PLAYER. I can't think of any former player more important to his team's succes than Tommy A. Even Tommy Frazier had a quality backup typically.

Odds are probably 10-3 finish which would be good but yeah 11-2 with a bowl win would be a huge boost to the image and recruiting potential.

Tommy has been key no doubt. Our top 3 choices at QB for next year were recruited by Mike and Langs so it seems fair to expect that the job winner will perform pretty well. I hope we get some JUCO's or transfers that can start because we will again be too thin in areas as you noted plus maybe TE too.

In my 40+ years of life, I can never remember a time when a Husker QB was more vital than Armstrong. We pretty much won a NC with Frazier's backup, so we know it wasn't then. I don't remember who Frost's backup was, but our OL and RBs were good enough to win most games. Through most of the 80's, we could have direct snapped the ball to a RB and won most of the games. If Armstrong would have gone out early in the season, I don't think there's a snowballs chance in he11 we'd make a bowl.