Vote on retaining the ban on death penalty (how are you voting)

Ban on death penalty  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While I do not know (have not researched yet) for certain, but it has been said that the same lobbiest who are trying to remove the death penalty for good, also have plans to change the wording in life sentences. Otherwise, they do not want the words "Life without parole" as part of our law.

While I do not know (have not researched yet) for certain, but it has been said that the same lobbiest who are trying to remove the death penalty for good, also have plans to change the wording in life sentences. Otherwise, they do not want the words "Life without parole" as part of our law.

I have never heard that. It sounds like propaganda put out by pro death penalty groups.

I have never heard that. It sounds like propaganda put out by pro death penalty groups.

It's actually the other way around. The law states instead of the death penalty, a judge or jury can give "life without parole".

"without parole" had been removed before because the supreme court already deemed a life sentence ineligible for parole anyway.

Nebraska law does NOT allow probation or parole for anyone sentenced to life in prison.

“I spoke to Bob Houston and I spoke to Don Kleine who’s Douglas County Attorney about this issue and a couple of other attorneys, and under the statute the difference between “life” under 1A and “life without parole” is merely semantics, there is no actual difference.”

-State Senator Burker Harr, former Deputy County Attorney, during 2011 floor debate [1]

The Nebraska Revised Statutes and the Nebraska Supreme Court have long been clear that the mandatory minimum sentence for anyone convicted of a class 1A Felony is a life sentence:

• Fire 1

It's actually the other way around. The law states instead of the death penalty, a judge or jury can give "life without parole". It wasn't a possibility before.

Color me surprised people don't even read headlines before forming an opinion (speaking generally)

Please share as I would like to read this if you have a link?

KFAB said it on the radio, as I relayed it here. I would like to see what you found.

Thanks for the read funhusker. +1 for the info.

The only way one would get out of prison it appears would be for the Parole Board to commute the sentence.

I am now wondering if that specifically was their concern, with the ever growing nature of acceptability or change and the board wielding such power?

Get rid of the death penalty. Although I have qualms about it in cases like the d-bag who shot those two cops in Iowa. Guys like that deserve a bullet & a shallow grave, the vengeancy side of me says.

The other side of me says the State should not be involved in executions. Even one innocent dead by mistake is too many.

A family friend was on trial for murder when I was a child. He was innocent, and exonerated, but for a while there it seemed like he was going to be convicted. It was one of the very few times I've ever seen my dad cry, praying for his release. Can't have guys like that executed if the jury makes the wrong decision.

Now that the ban has been repealed, I'd like to see serious changes in how it is handed down as a sentence. Use it on people who admit to their crimes or when DNA evidence is obvious.

As an FYI, Nebraska doesn't have life without the opportunity for parole that can be handed down as a sentence. That needs to change.