Trump's America

zoogs

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well they apparently have authority under DHS. Thats the thing, a Federal agency is backing this. 

35 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are photos of these guys with the acting DHS secretary. 

But, that shouldn’t matter. The governor still legally has to OK this.

And, I wouldn’t put it past this administration to work with local militias. 

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, that shouldn’t matter. The governor still legally has to OK this.

And, I wouldn’t put it past this administration to work with local militias. 

Just because the law says they have to isnt stopping them is the point. Local militias or not they are working under federal authority. If you don't think a standoff between those people and local authorities wouldn't be a s#!t show im not sure what to tell you 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just because the law says they have to isnt stopping them is the point. Local militias or not they are working under federal authority. If you don't think a standoff between those people and local authorities wouldn't be a s#!t show im not sure what to tell you 

It needs to be investigated enough to find out if that’s what’s going on or not. 

Once the truth is known, then it can be decided the appropriate path. 

Most likely a law suit that ends up at the Supreme Court. Then, everyone can decide in November if this is the America they want. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It needs to be investigated enough to find out if that’s what’s going on or not. 

Once the truth is known, then it can be decided the appropriate path. 

Most likely a law suit that ends up at the Supreme Court. Then, everyone can decide in November if this is the America they want. 

I'm not sure what more you want. DHS is telling us what they are doing. Oregon DA is investigating but even if they go your route how does that stop whats actually happening? And whats to stop them from deploying people in every major US city and having them 'protect the polls' on election day. We have quickly descended into very, very scary territory. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not sure what more you want. DHS is telling us what they are doing. Oregon DA is investigating but even if they go your route how does that stop whats actually happening? And whats to stop them from deploying people in every major US city and having them 'protect the polls' on election day. We have quickly descended into very, very scary territory. 

Yep. The Supreme Court and laws can't really doing anything against trained federal soldiers with guns who refuse to follow the law.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yep. The Supreme Court and laws can't really doing anything against trained federal soldiers with guns who refuse to follow the law.

So....men with guns are kidnapping protesters without local law enforcement knowledge and permission from the governor....and nothing should be done...got it. 

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....men with guns are kidnapping protesters without local law enforcement knowledge and permission from the governor....and nothing should be done...got it. 

I've already posted what I think should be done and you are putting words in my mouth that aren't anything I've thought or said. I hope you take this in the least negative way possible but I've said it before that you do this quite a bit. You could have asked me "What do you think should be done, then?" or "What is the alternative?"  This isn't a case where it's your idea or do nothing.

And yes I'm feeling a bit helpless about this. But of course they should challenge it in the courts. The thing is it's already illegal.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

And yes I'm feeling a bit helpless about this. But of course they should challenge it in the courts. The thing is it's already illegal.

This is what I don’t understand about responses I’m getting. I know it’s already illegal. I’ve said that multiple times. 

all I’ve said is that this needs to be investigated and challenged and I think it ends up in the Supreme Court. 

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is what I don’t understand about responses I’m getting. I know it’s already illegal. I’ve said that multiple times. 

all I’ve said is that this needs to be investigated and challenged and I think it ends up in the Supreme Court. 

I think most of the responses were about you wondering if they’re local militia. 

I agree it should go to court but if they don’t stop I think these individual rental vans with people in uniforms with no identification should be pulled over by the local/state police and the people arrested for breaking laws. It can be acted on now because it’s a crime. 

On a related note, since some of these are border patrol, I find this very telling. Illegal immigration was decreasing steadily before Trump and if there are enough border patrol agents for them to send people to Portland, clearly their budget needs to be decreased.

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I think most of the responses were about you wondering if they’re local militia. 

I agree it should go to court but if they don’t stop I think these individual rental vans with people in uniforms with no identification should be pulled over by the local/state police and the people arrested for breaking laws.

On a related note, since some of these are border patrol, I find this very telling. Illegal immigration was decreasing steadily before Trump and if there are enough border patrol agents for them to send people to Portland, clearly their budget needs to be decreased.

I’m still not convinced they are border patrol or whomever the feds are claiming they are. 

21 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I agree it should go to court but if they don’t stop I think these individual rental vans with people in uniforms with no identification should be pulled over by the local/state police and the people arrested for breaking laws. It can be acted on now because it’s a crime. 

How would this look in practice though? We are talking about heavily armed people that feel as if they have more authority than the police themselves. And what would the federal governments response be? While I think this lawlessness needs to be brought to an end I also think they need to be careful over there in Oregon. 

• Plus1 1