Where we discuss our fondness - or lack thereof - for former coaches now departed - Again

cm husker

With those options at QB, I'd like to see an average of 20 passes a game - take the game out of the QBs hands, as much as possible. Win "ugly" if you have to. We have a very weak schedule again next year. Take advantage of that to pound opponents into the ground and work play action off that.

I know we are losing the dynamism of a mobile QB, and that's unfortunate.

We have 3 teams next year that are currently in the top 8 in the country. How is that a "very weak schedule"?

"Very weak" is stretching it.

But we have 2 teams in the top 8 on this year's schedule and still only have the 58th toughest schedule in the country - which is fairly weak. We are #30 according to Sagarin and there are only 5 teams with an easier schedule than we have ahead of us - only two (Western Michigan and Houston) have a significantly easier schedule. Minnesota at #44 is the first Power 5 team that has a noticably easier schedule than we do.

Adding Penn State will make it tougher. Adding Rutgers makes it easier. Changing our three toughest games this year from road games to home games helps to some extent.

I think we have a pretty easy schedule this year and it won't be much tougher next year.

Your view on our schedule is spot on, we just don't have many of those 25-55 ranked teams. It looks to be the opposite of a "bell curve" kind of old big 8 days.

Guy, stop being thick around me. :)

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so. But until '94, offense had "passed him by" at least per the "experts." He wasn't changing his O to fit what the pros and the 5 stars wanted.

To argue otherwise is revisionism.

Maybe the reason people are being "thick" is because the idea that Riley's plans for his offense have anything to do with attracting talent from a certain geographical location is stupid. He's not doing that anymore than TO did.

Agree. Go back and tell that to the person who suggested he should do that.

Fortunately for all of us, what Osborne did or didn't do doesn't really apply to Nebraska football anymore. For some of you, for whatever reason, you take that personally. I can't figure out why.

If we don't attract the most talented players we can and FAST, we're screwed. Recent history has proven this.

• Fire 1

Guy, stop being thick around me. :)

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so. But until '94, offense had "passed him by" at least per the "experts." He wasn't changing his O to fit what the pros and the 5 stars wanted.

To argue otherwise is revisionism.

And if you think Riley is "tailoring" his offense to land those players, you are wrong. Riley has ran the same offense for YEARS and has only changed it up the last couple with having a mobile QB. Once he has his type of players, he will be back to his offensive ways.

Except that Riley has already said he's actively recruiting dual-threat QBs going forward...so he *has* made changes and isn't going back to his 'offensive ways', per se.

If anything, I'd like to think that perhaps Riley will help Nebraska bring a more stable and productive passing game into town, all while our fans' passion for (and success with) running the ball and dual-threat QBs has rubbed off on Riley, which, in turn, has not been lost on Langsdorf (except when we have away games where the Team Manager with the squirt bottle doesn't travel).

While we'll see a pocket QB next season, that may not be the case in, say, 2018, 2019, and/or going forward.

We have offered 9 QBs for 2017, 6 pocket passers and 3 dual-threats. One of the dual threats is labeled as a DT on a couple sites and a PP on another. The only QB we have offered for 2018 is a pocket passer.

I don't think we need a true dual-threat QB at all. Just need a QB that is mobile enough to get out of trouble and scramble. O'Brien rushed for 600+ yards his senior year and Gebbia has rushed for just 250 but has 7 rushing TDs.

I'm guessing that Riley wants a guy in the mold of Baker Mayfield, can complete 60%+ passes while being elusive enough to get yards if needed.

Well, According to Langsdorf, they want to have both types of quarterbacks going forward (as long as they are good passers).

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-offensive-coordinator-danny-langsdorfs-evolving-philosophy-on-the-future-of-the-nebraska-quarterback

“Our biggest thing is we always want to have a guy that can make some throws,” Langsdorf said. “We’ve taken some kind of drop-back styles and really some big-time throwers and they’re all playing in the NFL still. It’s kind of the way we were built more in the past. We’re definitely looking at all types of guys. Height, weight and speed and everything.”

“I think with our guys on the board and the kind of guys we’re recruiting, I think you will see a mixture,” Langsdorf said. “With our history and with Tommy, I think that we’ve evolved, we can go either way.”

Differing quarterback styles won’t change the offense completely, Langsdorf said. He wants a base system that he can tweak to each quarterback.

Doesn't seem like much of a mystery to me. Pro-style, dual threat, whatever. As long as they are accurate passers.

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so.

I missed the part where Mike Riley is doing anything different.

Unless you want to go ahead and explain that "coastal talent" is your code word for a pass-first offense, a skillset that somehow eludes the millions of football players in the middle of the country.

You could also come to the coast seeking the best running backs in the country. California is full of them. Florida has dual threat quarterbacks. New Jersey has speed and talent on both sides of the ball. Every offense will need good players at every position. Tom Osborne knew this. MIke Riley does, too. Probably because it's not a secret. There's no discernible geographic speciality when it comes to football, but there are high school football hotbeds.

Mike Riley getting traction among prized California recruits — who take to social media bragging about coming to Nebraska — is nothing but good.

Unless you want to be a dick about it.

• Fire 5

Yep:

TO didn't tailor his offense to attract coastal talent. But he certainly recruited the coasts. And rightfully so.

Mike Riley getting traction among prized California recruits — who take to social media bragging about coming to Nebraska — is nothing but good.

And yep again:

("Coastal Talent" = Not the 500 mile radius, ie; not the offense we SHOULD be running)

Did I sum that up properly?

cm will probably come back with a string of "show me where I said _____" tangents. I just can't see how after going through roughly 15 years of agony you can't just say, "I want to run whatever offensive scheme we can by first getting the most talented players we can get."

Unless you want to go ahead and explain that "coastal talent" is your code word for a pass-first offense, a skillset that somehow eludes the millions of football players in the middle of the country.

You could also come to the coast seeking the best running backs in the country. California is full of them. Florida has dual threat quarterbacks. New Jersey has speed and talent on both sides of the ball. Every offense will need good players at every position. Tom Osborne knew this. MIke Riley does, too. Probably because it's not a secret. There's no discernible geographic speciality when it comes to football, but there are high school football hotbeds.

We've been around and around on this, so I won't rehash it again. I'll just summarize by saying that if you come from a low population place, you are going to struggle to run an offense that requires elite talent at every position.

And yes, while every offense benefits from elite talent, certain offenses definitely disguise or account for weaknesses at certain spots.

TO talked about that frequently - about how the system he chose was reflective of the types of players he had most readily available. Of he wanted the best players he could find anywhere, but the bulk of his depth chart were players were from the 500 mile radius that were complimented by guys on the coasts. He recognized that was who he'd most frequently be able to recruit and retain successfully.

It's not luck that caused him to be a HOF and imo the GOAT. He made a lot of important strategic decisions along the way - and ignored a lot of critics in the 80s and early 90s who said he needed to change his system to attract "championship" talent.

He also talked about the weather having a major influence on his choices, but that's a whole other (uncomfortable) topic.

We've been around and around on this, so I won't rehash it again. I'll just summarize by saying that if you come from a low population place, you are going to struggle to run an offense that requires elite talent at every position.

And yes, while every offense benefits from elite talent, certain offenses definitely disguise or account for weaknesses at certain spots.

TO talked about that frequently - about how the system he chose was reflective of the types of players he had most readily available. Of he wanted the best players he could find anywhere, but the bulk of his depth chart were players were from the 500 mile radius that were complimented by guys on the coasts. He recognized that was who he'd most frequently be able to recruit and retain successfully.

It's not luck that caused him to be a HOF and imo the GOAT. He made a lot of important strategic decisions along the way - and ignored a lot of critics in the 80s and early 90s who said he needed to change his system to attract "championship" talent.

He also talked about the weather having a major influence on his choices, but that's a whole other (uncomfortable) topic.

And that was the 80s and 90s, before the internet and Hudl. But again, don't want to get into this.

• Fire 1

i'll bite and go down this road again.

The incredible advances and discoveries Nebraska made in S&C, nutrition, psychology had much more to do with the program "getting over the top" than any sort of resiliency in his X's and O's system. Osborne did not change much of his offense. But a lot of changes were made in regards to the program. That atmosphere of the college game has changed. There are very few secrets anymore. Everyone invests in S&C. Everyone has highly calibrated nutrition plans. Even down to position-specific (not just sport specific) nutrition and training. Leadership council and psychological investments. This is where Nebraska revolutionized the game and went from just not quite having enough to being on top with their status quo of talent and scheme.

The next Matt Hoskinson or Joel Wilks is not walking through the door today Why? because after 4 years in this program theyre still behind in development. Because the other guys have been at the advantage of the same amount and style of training. Theyre not "gaining" anything like they were at Nebraska 20 years ago. Nebraska doesnt have these insane advantages anymore.

Now, if you wanna debate that we cant get the talent, and that we're preverbially screwed, so be it. it really is a legit debate. I personally dont think we are. I think we can be like a Michigan St and have runs of really good years 2-4 in a row then have a couple down rebuilding years. It's not far fetched to think we're capable of that. No. i dont think we'll ever be in a re-load state like Bama/Ohio St/etc.

• Fire 3

The incredible advances and discoveries Nebraska made in S&C, nutrition, psychology had much more to do with the program "getting over the top" than any sort of resiliency in his X's and O's system. Osborne did not change much of his offense. But a lot of changes were made in regards to the program. That atmosphere of the college game has changed. There are very few secrets anymore. Everyone invests in S&C. Everyone has highly calibrated nutrition plans. Even down to position-specific (not just sport specific) nutrition and training. Leadership council and psychological investments. This is where Nebraska revolutionized the game and went from just not quite having enough to being on top with their status quo of talent and scheme.

The next Matt Hoskinson or Joel Wilks is not walking through the door today Why? because after 4 years in this program theyre still behind in development. Because the other guys have been at the advantage of the same amount and style of training. Theyre not "gaining" anything like they were at Nebraska 20 years ago. Nebraska doesnt have these insane advantages anymore.

Now, if you wanna debate that we cant get the talent, and that we're preverbially screwed, so be it. it really is a legit debate. I personally dont think we are. I think we can be like a Michigan St and have runs of really good years 2-4 in a row then have a couple down rebuilding years. It's not far fetched to think we're capable of that. No. i dont think we'll ever be in a re-load state like Bama/Ohio St/etc.

What are you talking about? Most of your post is tenuous at best, but the bolded is pure nonsense.

These boards are incredible to me.

NU had an AD come in who wanted to chase the "other guys' way of doing things" and as a result we suffer massive losses and set the program back literally five decades - and what do people want? More of the same.

Then they dismiss TO's "outmoded principles" as being no good in today's game and, recently, even blames Frank's recruiting for the current state of the program.

Pure foolishness.

• Fire 1

What are you talking about? Most of your post is tenuous at best, but the bolded is pure nonsense.

im talking about home grown kids who go to the program and become very very good players after 4 years of development. The point is that that's not happening becuase everyone is putting just as much into development as nebraska is.

tenuous. LOL. only cuz the intelligence and facts disprove your stance. typical cm.

Now what outmoded principles are you speaking of? There are still several concepts that Osborne was using 25 years ago that are still in use and seen as innovative today. RPO for one. it's little things. Just cause teams arent lining up in spread I or 12 Ace doesnt mean the concepts are different. Or are you talking about the talent factor? Because remember. for every Schlesinger, we had Lawrence Phillips and Ahman Green. For every Terry Connealy we had a Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom. Youre the one that started this merry go round by saying, exactly, that tailoring a system to draw top talent from California was loodicrus. So i guess, after your backpedaling and run around in all this, WHAT THE f#*k ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

• Fire 3

Joel Wilks need all this time in the program? Is that why he was playing a redshirt sophomore and earned three letters? Because he needed so much time in the program?

Hoskinson played as a redshirt freshman, too. He played in 7 games as a redshirt sophomore.

By the 90s, at least the top 40 programs in the country were using S&C as well as Nebraska.

To the rest of your post, why are you offsetting Schlesinger with Green? Both were on scholarship. Both were from Nebraska. Wistrom is from Missouri (300 miles from Lincoln and an easy regional flight from Joplin). By the way, no one has ever argued that NU shouldn't be recruiting nationally. But at least half of our guys are realistically going to come from NE or a border state (probably two thirds will come from that region plus a state from our conference territory).

A recruiting strategy that tries to pull 50, 60, 70% of our talent from far away locations is a recipe for failure.

And that statement about tailoring an offense to attract "top talent" from the coasts being wrongheaded (not "loodicrus" (sic)) was in response to an earlier poster's statement.

Interestingly, most of the people having a conniption about that statement seem to actually agree with it.

Your posts are always bordering on unhinged, but that one was really amusing.