Iowa's Faith Ekakitie says he was target of racial slurs from Nebraska player

Kernal

Iowa's Faith Ekakitie says he was target of racial slurs from Nebraska player

Iowa defensive tackle Faith Ekakitie says he was the target of racial slurs from an unidentified Nebraska player during Friday’s game.

Ekakitie, who is black, refused to identify the Nebraska offensive lineman he claims is responsible, but spoke on the situation during post-game interviews Friday evening.

“I’m one to completely respect my opponents at all times, but they had a few guys out there that decided to talk a whole lot and a couple guys who were throwing around derogatory, racial slurs,” Ekakitie told the Register.

When asked for comment, Nebraska athletics spokesman Keith Mann said, "I appreciate you informing us." The school had no additional comment by 9 p.m. Friday.

The 6-foot-3, 290-pound redshirt senior from Brampton, Ontario, declined to point out individual offenders from Friday’s game, because “I don’t want to throw anyone under the bus.”

But, he added, “I’m glad we blew them out. In my opinion, they got what they deserved today.”

• Fire 2

I am sure the staff will find out through more private channels and will handle it appropriately. IMO he did the right thing by not naming who said what he is talking about. There is a point to where there are things that the public doesn't need to know that has been lost in this day and age of social media.

• Fire 2

Addressing it in the media was not the best way for this young man to do this IMO. Use the proper channels, which starting with the media first or ever, is something I don't believe you will find in any corporate, small business or school handbook. Perhaps use the media as a last resort if the complaint appears to fallen on deaf ears.

Assuming it happened, as I am sure it does in each and every game each and every weekend across the country, it is certainly nothing shocking. Locker room talk and name calling and a bunch of three, four and five plus letter words are gonna be hurled all over the place. This is not badminton or tennis at Wimbledon. It is f-in football for pete's sakes. LOL

• Fire 2

Assuming it happened, as I am sure it does in each and every game each and every weekend across the country, it is certainly nothing shocking. Locker room talk and name calling and a bunch of three, four and five plus letter words are gonna be hurled all over the place. This is not badminton or tennis at Wimbledon. It is f-in football for pete's sakes. LOL

Yea, there is that factor too.

he did the right thing. He can always give the name in private to his coaches, who can tell the coaching staff. Even if he doesn't, Riley should address this with the line by reading them the riot act.

Those kinds of comments to others is not Husker football

Ritchie Ingcognito says hello!

I guarantee those guys especially in the 1990's were talking all kinds of sh!t.. So I wouldn't classify it as "not Husker football." Like it or not, this kind of talk is very common for every team, especially the ones that know they are better than everyone else.

There's a canyon wide difference between cussing at someone and hurling a racial slur there way. It doesn't belong anywhere in the game of football or life really. If you can't see that then you need to sit down and do some serious thinking...