Banker: 'Bloodbath' Was a Compliment to Iowa

Mavric

“I was giving Iowa credit,” Banker said. “I was complimenting the opponent.”

But Banker said he wasn't drawing a comparison to Nebraska's practices. NU, Banker said, practices hard.

“We play in practice,” Banker said. “We don't have these tag-off, underwear practices. It wasn't until the last couple weeks — when we were pretty beat up — that we had to slow some things down a little bit, take some reps out of practice, but it was still good run fits and all that.”

But this part doesn't seem to make sense:

“Where we were physically at that time, I feel good about how we practiced,” Riley said. “I don't know what (the Hawkeyes) do. I do know they're very well-schooled up front and they play physical football. But I will always look at it and, when we can, we will physically practice that run. But their physicality in their line — and their coaching combined with it — they always do a good job, so if you're going to beat Iowa, you're going to have to match that physicalness and you're going to have to be sound.”

Riley and Banker both praised the coaching and soundness of Iowa's offensive line.

“They're very physical up front. I mean, they're a running team,” Banker said. "They practice running the ball all the time.”

Nebraska ran the ball roughly three more times per game this season for roughly six more yards per game, but Banker said Iowa's style is different than NU's.

(emphasis in original)

OWH

Seems like every time we see pictures or videos of practice, the players are in shorts. Today was one of those times.

Does anyone know if the NCAA requires teams to not be full contact a few practices of the week? High school now has some regulations, I believe, where they can't be full contact a few days a week.

You can be full contact in HS all week but there is a distinction between "Live" and the next level down which is "Thud". Basically you can't go longer than 30 mins of "live" a day.

But, there are loop holes. Coaches can, and some do, literally take the stopwatch and go whistle to whistle for scrimmage/scripted plays. So that way they can still get in a bunch of "live" and not get in trouble for it.

Some coaches just go from 6 to 6:30 and call that their half hour of live.