Blackshirts Made Progress, Still Have Work to Do

Mavric

Nebraska’s defense began to turn a corner late last season. It rounded the corner through the first half of the 2016 schedule. Then, in two losses down the stretch, the defense blew a tire and is looking to rebuild heading into 2017.

That was the story of the Huskers’ unit this season. A small step made in takeaways — 18 this season over 15 last season — and a major stride in pass defense, where the Huskers were 41st in yards allowed per game. In 2015, the figure was ghoulish — NU was 122nd. Nebraska gave up a full yard fewer per pass attempt in 2016 than it did in 2015.

Part of the improvement was tied to more time in the defense, part of it was tied to defensive coordinator Mark Banker not being so reliant on quarters coverage and part of it was sheer health. Unlike 2015, when several Nebraska defenders struggled with major groin injuries that kept them out whole chunks of the season, top guys such as middle linebacker Josh Banderas, defensive tackle Kevin Maurice and corners Joshua Kalu and Chris Jones stayed healthy and didn’t miss any games.

As a result, Nebraska gave up five fewer points per game and 49.8 fewer yards per game. Only three opponents — Oregon, Ohio State and Iowa — had more than 400 total yards in a game, compared to six in 2015.

OWH

No doubt the defense was improved as the stats show it. Arguably the opponents this year were, as a group, quite comparable to last year's so one can say there was clearly impovement in the play of the defense as a whole. I think one can argue that last year's running game was meaningfully improved in the final third of the season certainly. This allowed the offense to significantly control the ball in a number of games against some of the better opponents which also aided last year's defense which might have looked even worse by comparison. Therefore, the gains made on defense are even more remarkable this year as the offense really struggled down the stretch putting greater pressure on the defense. Opponents most likely had more possessions and would logically have had more yards, points, etc. If one were to look at the overall play and stats of the defense by throwing out the Ohio State and Iowa games, and compare to those of 2015 (again tossing out the two worst losses, for example), one could get even better statistically comparisons.

If the offense this fall had played up to its full potential (no major injuries to key receivers, RBs and O line), the defense would have been even better this year. The key will be to find a way to turn up the offense several notches and to convert more first downs and run more plays (especially those that don't end up with incomplete passes and other clock stoppages). This year's defense was aided statistically by fewer turnovers by the offense but we still punted way too many times and had many poor punts putting even more pressure on the defense. With all of these facts in mind, I think the defense made great strides and there should be every reason to believe the defense will improve next year. The players will understand the schemes, roles, etc better as well. But the offense MUST improve dramatically as well.

The Blackshirts will improve statistically when we have an offense that can keep them off the field a bit more. We got creamed in TOP by tOSU and Iowa. (Perplexingly, we won the TOP battle against Wisconsin. Go figure.)

As our offensive line improves we'll start winning the possession battle. I expect our O-line to improve quite a bit next season. :thumbs:

Kinda where I'm at...

It was fun watching the defense this year compared to years past. Got gashed here and there, but basic fundamentals seemed better, at least on the surface. So instead of wincing every 3rd play, it was fun watching this group compete. (Are my expectations lowered because of this statement? Nah...I'm just a realist on talent and coaching. Not every defense is ranked 1)

If we can get 2-3 DL/DE to perform better next year, we'll only improve. Only guy I'm "worried" about replacing is Gerry. That kid lived up to every inch of his expectations in his career.