What would make people feel less ostracized from P&R?

A 750mL of rum, whoo boy. I think the most I've done is roughly half that, and I really felt it. Life's much better without alcohol :D

wish I could make Trump supporters understand what I am talking about. To live in constant worry that if I dare to show my true self in public the danger I would face: threats, assault, even be killed. This is not hyperbole. Anti-gay/trans/queer threats, violence, intimidation, and murder are a daily possibility.

Me too. And I hope we'll all do our part on here to make Huskerboard not a place where you have these worries.

I know it's a lot easier for most of us to ignore the online vitriol in comment threads. I'm not sure what to say there. I think if there's one thing we should all strive for, it's some basic sense of solidarity with your fellow being.

You are going to get out of this thread what you put into it. So far, bnil, you are putting hostility, recrimination and anger into it. It's not shocking, then, that that's what you see in return.

Yet another attack coming from you. I am not perfect and am willing to take some accountability if there has been hostility, but the persistent personal comments and attacks from you and LOMS is a big reason to leave this forum. YOu make statements like the one you just made as though you are not guilty of what you are suggesting others do. The last 2 months I have seen a lot of hostile and angry comments toward Trump and anyone that might support him, yet you turn a blind eye. Because you happen to agree with them, you won't publicly call out others that have have injected their own hostility and anger. Will you at least admit that you go along with those who attack Trump and his supporters without calling them out like you seem to enjoy doing with me? Or are you unable to own up to this?

bnilhome, I don't expect you to view your posting habits the way I do. That would be optimistic bordering on insanity. However, my perspective is that much of what you dislike about this forum is done by you in return - where you see people leaving no opportunity to lambast Trump, many see you as someone who leaves no stone unturned in a quest to (in my opinion) ridicule Obama. We could probably argue back and forth whether that's just who you are as a person or your response to the way people post here. Frankly, I'm uninterested. I think you fight for fairness and understanding in a place where you often refuse to inject much of your own, as proven by those posts I quoted from you. They're not a stretch or 'grasping' - it was literally less than two minutes of copy and paste work. That's all the time it took.

I will say this - I completely agree with you that this is a hostile environment for Republicans. I see people doing exactly what you dislike and, if I were in your shoes, I'd be just as irritated and irate as you. I will do whatever I can to reflect on my own habits and try to make this a more welcoming place for all opinions - Republican, Democrat or CivLibs like myself.

But, in order to do that, I think you need to meet somewhere in the middle. I don't want to argue with you all the time and I don't want you to feel ostracized, even though we disagree on many a thing. That's truly how I feel and I'm more than willing to take a fresh approach to this place if it means injecting more honest debate - from all parties.

As I just mentioned in my last reply, I know there are times I have lambasted Obama and I am not going to deny that. And as I said before, this is a forum where we all have opinions, but I have many times tried to provide data or links to perspectives to support my viewpoints. A lot of what I see from other posters on here are nasty sarcastic comments or retweets. The bigger point is this....I have many times criticized Trump and other Republicans on this forum. You can go back and look at my comments from the past year. Trump says way too many dumb things I do not like. I am not afraid to call out those on the right. That is the key difference I see here. Many who lean to the left have not called out Obama in the past 2 years I have been posting in this forum. Instead, they turn a blind eye, or blame Republicans for those areas that did not go well under Obama's tenure. The same people that claimed Republicans were obstructionists during Obama's tenure have not said a word about Democrats refusing to confirm Trump's cabinet picks. And I think you will continue to see Democrats trying to delay things, and yet those who lean to the left will sit silently.

I would say this...go pick a recent thread that was created...say Trump's America, and look through the entire 13 pages of it (or how many ever there are) and tell me how many posts were not opinionated, snarky, angry, bitter comments about Trump and his supporters. Well over half and probably closer to 75% were 100% negative opinions about Trump and his supporters. And for those who lean to the right (like me...and I know 4 or 5 others on here who feel this way), when we make similar comments, the comments begin about "injecting too much hostility." There is hostility all over that Trump's America thread and several others.

You are going to get out of this thread what you put into it. So far, bnil, you are putting hostility, recrimination and anger into it. It's not shocking, then, that that's what you see in return.

Yet another attack coming from you. I am not perfect and am willing to take some accountability if there has been hostility, but the persistent personal comments and attacks from you and LOMS is a big reason to leave this forum. YOu make statements like the one you just made as though you are not guilty of what you are suggesting others do. The last 2 months I have seen a lot of hostile and angry comments toward Trump and anyone that might support him, yet you turn a blind eye. Because you happen to agree with them, you won't publicly call out others that have have injected their own hostility and anger. Will you at least admit that you go along with those who attack Trump and his supporters without calling them out like you seem to enjoy doing with me? Or are you unable to own up to this?

Criticisms towards Trump are not attacks on you. I most definitely do NOT turn a blind eye to actual attacks, and if the people I have PM'd asking them to tone it down want to confirm that I have done that, I'd appreciate it. I'm not even a Mod here and I've tried to help keep a civil tone in this forum. Do you do that to people who launch spiteful, hateful criticisms about Obama?

• Fire 3

Criticisms towards Trump are not attacks on you. I most definitely do NOT turn a blind eye to actual attacks, and if the people I have PM'd asking them to tone it down want to confirm that I have done that, I'd appreciate it. I'm not even a Mod here and I've tried to help keep a civil tone in this forum. Do you do that to people who launch spiteful, hateful criticisms about Obama?

So please tell me when I have personally attacked anyone on here. I think you are missing the point. You and others have suggested my criticism of Obama was "hostile" and "angry" in nature, yet that same thing is happening in spades with comments about Trump, and yes, there have been comments about his supporters as well. I have seen many comments questioning those who support or voted for Trump, or accusations that Trump supporters are racists, xenophobic, etc.. It's happened regularly on here...I am not sure how you missed it. Do you not think your many comments attacking Republicans and Trump is any less "angry" and "hostile" than me questioning Obama's legacy?

but the persistent personal comments and attacks from you and LOMS is a big reason to leave this forum.

Sorry to say that in your case, I think we are really all genuinely fine with that. There are plenty of people in here that we all enjoy conversing with.

• Fire 2

So please tell me when I have personally attacked anyone on here. I think you are missing the point. You and others have suggested my criticism of Obama was "hostile" and "angry" in nature, yet that same thing is happening in spades with comments about Trump, and yes, there have been comments about his supporters as well. I have seen many comments questioning those who support or voted for Trump, or accusations that Trump supporters are racists, xenophobic, etc.. It's happened regularly on here...I am not sure how you missed it. Do you not think your many comments attacking Republicans and Trump is any less "angry" and "hostile" than me questioning Obama's legacy?

I didn't say you attacked anyone here. I said your tone was hostile. I'm not the only person who's told you that, so.... Your tone regarding anything Obama/Democrat/Liberal/Progressive is NOT conversational. It is angry, spiteful, hateful, despite Obama being a very reasonable, Centrist president. The level of hostility is not matched by Obama's actions or ideology. The more you post that stuff, the more people debunk it, and the angrier your tone becomes.

Yes, my tone toward Trump is hostile. He is, without question, one of the worst candidates in the past century. He received an unprecedented level of anti-endorsements. Unprecedented. He is threatening to rewrite the very nature of this country. The criticisms Trump is receiving are commensurate with the things he is doing.

But here's the HUGE difference between you and I - while I'm critical of Trump, several times I've posted that I agree with some things he's done. Case in point, his nomination of Gorsuch. No complaints from me even though Gorsuch is ideologically opposed to what I believe in. However, Obama nominated Garland and how did you react? With antipathy, as you always, always do with everything Obama did.

Another difference - I started this thread, attempting to reach out to people. Your very first post in this thread was recrimination against me (and others) for not wishing you Merry Christmas. I am not Christian. Why would I need to respond to that? I didn't post in that thread out of kindness. You have not returned the favor in this thread.

That Merry Christmas thread you posted seems like a trap. Those of us who didn't respond are now labeled bad guys. Is that really what Jesus wants you to do? Is any of the way you behave in this forum, and about politics, how the god you worship expects you to act?

• Fire 2

I didn't say you attacked anyone here. I said your tone was hostile. I'm not the only person who's told you that, so.... Your tone regarding anything Obama/Democrat/Liberal/Progressive is NOT conversational. It is angry, spiteful, hateful, despite Obama being a very reasonable, Centrist president. The level of hostility is not matched by Obama's actions or ideology. The more you post that stuff, the more people debunk it, and the angrier your tone becomes.

Yes, my tone toward Trump is hostile. He is, without question, one of the worst candidates in the past century. He received an unprecedented level of anti-endorsements. Unprecedented. He is threatening to rewrite the very nature of this country. The criticisms Trump is receiving are commensurate with the things he is doing.

But here's the HUGE difference between you and I - while I'm critical of Trump, several times I've posted that I agree with some things he's done. Case in point, his nomination of Gorsuch. No complaints from me even though Gorsuch is ideologically opposed to what I believe in. However, Obama nominated Garland and how did you react? With antipathy, as you always, always do with everything Obama did.

Another difference - I started this thread, attempting to reach out to people. Your very first post in this thread was recrimination against me (and others) for not wishing you Merry Christmas. I am not Christian. Why would I need to respond to that? I didn't post in that thread out of kindness. You have not returned the favor in this thread.

That Merry Christmas thread you posted seems like a trap. Those of us who didn't respond are now labeled bad guys. Is that really what Jesus wants you to do? Is any of the way you behave in this forum, and about politics, how the god you worship expects you to act?

Everything you just stated is pure opinion, including that Obama was a reasonable and Centrist POTUS. Nearly half of this country completely disagrees with that perspective. Your points that I am hateful and angry toward Obama...again, I have given some examples, and when I have time, I can share a laundry list of examples where you and your cronies have stated the same toward Trump and other Republicans. I just glanced through the "Trump's Cabinet" thread, and there is a nasty comment toward just about every single person in his cabinet, including you calling some of his picks racists, white supremacists, etc...

As for others suggesting I am hostile, sure, these are the same people that are anti-Trump and anti-Republican and go on bashing Trump and Republicans consistently, or consistently have defended Obama and Democrats. So it's not a surprise you will find your buddies on here agreeing with you on that.

You bring up my comments about wishing people a Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays. I noted in there "whatever anyone might celebrate" so it wasn't just targeted toward Christians, and again, it was a genuine post to wish people well, and was an example of why some would not want to participate in this thread, and your response to me bringing that up has been harsh and bitter. Again, Dudeguy and others have simply apologized for missing it, and that's cool, but you have chosen a different path. When I have time I will go through the "Trump's America" thread and "Trump's Cabinet" thread and share every single snarky and hostile remark made about Trump, his cabinet picks or his supporters. You are totally blind if you do not believe this is occurring.

If you really were genuine in why you started this thread and wanted to have more balanced debate in here, you would take these comments to heart instead of getting all defensive. I post in many other forums on huskerboard and get along just fine with others, so I think there may need to be some more introspection done by you and your peers. As I stated earlier, I will own up to criticizing Obama in a similar manner to how you and others have criticized Trump, but I have also criticized Trump and Republicans many times as well. The difference is that I am one of a handful of Conservatives who have been willing to post in here, but when a high majority of comments are persistent bashing of Conservatives, as I have said before, it's not a very welcoming and inclusive environment.

• Fire 1

My god man, you so badly need a mirror.

Just a very quick review of the Trump's cabinet thread, I found nasty comments about Guiliani, Bannon, Gingrich, the entire transition team was criticized, Devos, Perry, Haley, Sessions, Pruitt and more. These were hostile, angry, snarky comments from a variety of posters. Are you willing to call them out as angry and hostile even if you might agree with their opinion? Please do not deflect and answer this simple question.

My god man, you so badly need a mirror.

Just a very quick review of the Trump's cabinet thread, I found nasty comments about Guiliani, Bannon, Gingrich, the entire transition team was criticized, Devos, Perry, Haley, Sessions, Pruitt and more. These were hostile, angry, snarky comments from a variety of posters. Are you willing to call them out as angry and hostile even if you might agree with their opinion? Please do not deflect and answer this simple question.

Bannon is a white supremacist that ran a white supremacist-friendly media company. There's video of Bannon talking about toppling the US government in order for whites to regain rightful control over society.

And Sessions is a racist. Reagan's admin kept him out of a judgeship because of his racist statements.

Can you really support these two?

I will call out the factually inaccurate comments about Trump if you go back and find the hostile, snarky comments you made about Obama and do the same. Fair?

I'll even cut you a break and you only have to do it for the first six months of 2016.

The fact that you are labeling my comments as hostile and angry yet those made by you and your peers as "factually inaccurate" suggests you really are not acknowledging my point. I would be happy to go back to my posts from the first six months of 2016 and list out my opinion-based comments if you are willing to go through just the past 2 months of posts to lists the opinion based comments made by you and your peers against Trump and the GOP. Please note that calling Perry a buffoon and Trump a racist should not be considered "fact based." Also I think I will have just as many if not more critical comments about Trump as I did about Obama given it was primary season.

• Fire 1

I will call out the factually inaccurate comments about Trump if you go back and find the hostile, snarky comments you made about Obama and do the same. Fair?

I'll even cut you a break and you only have to do it for the first six months of 2016.

The fact that you are labeling my comments as hostile and angry yet those made by you and your peers as "factually inaccurate" suggests you really are not acknowledging my point. I would be happy to go back to my posts from the first six months of 2016 and list out my opinion-based comments if you are willing to go through just the past 2 months of posts to lists the opinion based comments made by you and your peers against Trump and the GOP. Please note that calling Perry a buffoon and Trump a racist should not be considered "fact based." Also I think I will have just as many if not more critical comments about Trump as I did about Obama given it was primary season.

Calling Perry a buffoon is certainly opinion, but there's lots of evidence to support that opinion.