What would make people feel less ostracized from P&R?

The only thing I'd add at this point is, when you have the two terrible candidates we did, this bashing was basically inevitable. Of course people are railing on Trump, he's a frikken joke. If Hillary had won, she be taking a beating too. Although admittedly, probably not near as bad Trump. I mean you have to be pretty blind to not see the ridiculous and unprecedented and extremely unpresidential things he is doing. I am very happy I didn't vote for either one of them. Our whole political system is one big bad joke, evidenced by the scum too many people felt forced to choose from. One bit of advice, don't settle or rationalize a bad choice ever again. There were two wrongs in this election and people were duped into picking one of them. Just say no, polls and chances be damned.

I agree both were not great candidates. The reality is that if Hillary had won, you would see maybe 1/10th of the negative comments on here that you are seeing about Trump. It's just the nature of how posters in this forum lean.

I agree that the majority lean to the left around here. That isn't really debatable imo. But, you also have to admit that Trump is in a league all his own when it comes to completely unpresidential behavior. And I'm not talking about the anti-establishment, do it different than Obama stuff. I'm talking about being rude to our allies, being inflammatory to a whole religion of people, and making terrible decisions about what people and groups he seems to favor and the type of people he is surrounding himself with.

I wanted to give him a chance and I hoped he might get some good things done. He's pretty much used up my goodwill in a matter of less than two weeks. At the rate he's going, I'll be screaming for his impeachment before March. And I'm a pretty darned conservative, lifetime Repub (until about 2 years ago), wouldn't ever vote for Hillary type of person. Sorry but Trump is a complete a$$hat. Only reasonable thing he's done so far (and I'm not convinced he's actually going to do it in any sensible manner) is call for a review of our immigrant and refugee vetting procedures. And notice I didn't say the ban was a good idea- only the procedure review. And that is with the big caveat that the review doesn't focus on what religion or color a person is. I'm quickly becoming convinced he may be worse than most around here feared he would be.

• Fire 1

The only thing I'd add at this point is, when you have the two terrible candidates we did, this bashing was basically inevitable. Of course people are railing on Trump, he's a frikken joke. If Hillary had won, she be taking a beating too. Although admittedly, probably not near as bad Trump. I mean you have to be pretty blind to not see the ridiculous and unprecedented and extremely unpresidential things he is doing. I am very happy I didn't vote for either one of them. Our whole political system is one big bad joke, evidenced by the scum too many people felt forced to choose from. One bit of advice, don't settle or rationalize a bad choice ever again. There were two wrongs in this election and people were duped into picking one of them. Just say no, polls and chances be damned.

I agree both were not great candidates. The reality is that if Hillary had won, you would see maybe 1/10th of the negative comments on here that you are seeing about Trump. It's just the nature of how posters in this forum lean.

Why? Hilary was almost as disliked as Trump, possibly more.

I've got to agree that the negative comments would be much less but not for the simple reason of the "lean" around here. Yes it leans left here so Hillary's type of policies would generate less commotion. But Trump is generating negative comments in unprecedented and well deserved fashion. It's ten times as bad because he is earning that type of response. It's not because of the very real "lean" in these parts.

• Fire 1

I've got to agree that the negative comments would be much less but not for the simple reason of the "lean" around here. Yes it leans left here so Hillary's type of policies would generate less commotion. But Trump is generating negative comments in unprecedented and well deserved fashion. It's ten times as bad because he is earning that type of response. It's not because of the very real "lean" in these parts.

I could see that. We'd also likely have checks and balances where the Republicans would hold either the Senate or the House (or both), so Hilary would have to compromise to get things done.

I'm curious what bnilhome's take on it is.

• Fire 1

Is there a lean? Or has the far right become such an outlier that it shifted the mean? Has any moderate position that would have been just to one side or the other of center now become considered leftist?
  • Fire 3

I would say this...go pick a recent thread that was created...say Trump's America, and look through the entire 13 pages of it (or how many ever there are) and tell me how many posts were not opinionated, snarky, angry, bitter comments about Trump and his supporters. Well over half and probably closer to 75% were 100% negative opinions about Trump and his supporters. And for those who lean to the right (like me...and I know 4 or 5 others on here who feel this way), when we make similar comments, the comments begin about "injecting too much hostility." There is hostility all over that Trump's America thread and several others.

I already agreed with you in this regard, bnilhome - I think some people who lean left are getting away with many of the things you do. I will also say, again, that I think this is a perfect opportunity for all parties to reflect on their posting habits.

As such, I offer some reflective material for you. Out of all of our conservative brethren here, you and 84HuskerLaw draw more ire than anyone else by a considerable margin. Perhaps this is an opportune moment to try and understand why that is the case.

• Fire 3

I disagree as well.

Clinton would be getting her fair share of shellacking right now. But it'd be within the normal parameters of what we complain about. Not because of a travel ban or because she was attacking allies or couldn't stop tweeting.

Those are amateur, bizarre mistakes that Trump has to own.

• Fire 2

I would say this...go pick a recent thread that was created...say Trump's America, and look through the entire 13 pages of it (or how many ever there are) and tell me how many posts were not opinionated, snarky, angry, bitter comments about Trump and his supporters. Well over half and probably closer to 75% were 100% negative opinions about Trump and his supporters. And for those who lean to the right (like me...and I know 4 or 5 others on here who feel this way), when we make similar comments, the comments begin about "injecting too much hostility." There is hostility all over that Trump's America thread and several others.

I already agreed with you in this regard, bnilhome - I think some people who lean left are getting away with many of the things you do. I will also say, again, that I think this is a perfect opportunity for all parties to reflect on their posting habits.

As such, I offer some reflective material for you. Out of all of our conservative brethren here, you and 84HuskerLaw draw more ire than anyone else by a considerable margin. Perhaps this is an opportune moment to try and understand why that is the case.

Its funny you should bring this up as 84, TG, and a couple others who lean more to the right are all examples of having a different political philosophy from most who post on here, and the tone of our emails is not much different from those who lean to the left, yet the accusations of being hostile because our views are different continue to be brought up. So let me ask you this...please give me a list of 5 Conservatives who post consistently in this forum and/or who support Trump that you feel are not "hostile."

Also as an example of the extreme left bias on here, an event organized by the right at Berkeley was set ablaze by radical left wing protesters with buildings and cars damaged, and it was called out by many news organizations, but a quick glance of the forums via my phone shows no commenting on this event. Now if I missed it, my apologies, but has this been a right wing grouo doing such a thing to an event organized by the left, there would likely be 50 comments on here already.

Its funny you should bring this up as 84, TG, and a couple others who lean more to the right are all examples of having a different political philosophy from most who post on here, and the tone of our emails is not much different from those who lean to the left, yet the accusations of being hostile because our views are different continue to be brought up. So let me ask you this...please give me a list of 5 Conservatives who post consistently in this forum and/or who support Trump that you feel are not "hostile."

Also as an example of the extreme left bias on here, an event organized by the right at Berkeley was set ablaze by radical left wing protesters with buildings and cars damaged, and it was called out by many news organizations, but a quick glance of the forums via my phone shows no commenting on this event. Now if I missed it, my apologies, but has this been a right wing grouo doing such a thing to an event organized by the left, there would likely be 50 comments on here already.

Maybe you should start a thread then? Here's a link to the CNN article: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/

Note that the masked agitators could not be identified, so we don't know who they are.

I started up a thread about the Berkeley incident, but I didn't have time to finish it because to be unbiased there needs to be a lot of research done. Feel free to start that thread if you have a good grasp on the situation, bnil.

Here's a few points that need to be mentioned:

Milo Yiannopoulos and his ties to white supremacist organizations, and his ties to Steve Bannon

The people who protested - from both sides

The car that drove through the crowd, and the aftermath

Berkeley not agreeing with Yiannopoulos and his policies but allowing him to speak anyway

UCPD cancelling the speech after threats of violence - NOT to block free speech

Trump threatening UCB with a cutoff of funds because Yiannopoulos wasn't allowed to speak

Contrasting the sentence above with how Obama reacted when UNL wouldn't allow Bill Ayers to speak

Then a quick contrast of how the UNL/Ayers and the Yiannopoulos/Berkeley events have been discussed here on HuskerBoard

There's a lot to chew on there, and I have confidence you can handle starting a thread like that, bnil. I look forward to seeing what you put together. :thumbs

• Fire 4

The reality is that if Hillary had won, you would see maybe 1/10th of the negative comments on here that you are seeing about Trump.

The reality, huh? Can you prove that? Can you provide some data? If not, you should stop claiming it to be true.

And your past 2 sets of comments are a great example of why many huskerboard posters refuse to engage this this forum. I have seen various studies done about political leanings of sports fans, and it has indicated that college football fans tend to lean more to the right, where WNBA and tennis and other sports lean to the left. Is it exact...of course not. But it's come up on a few different occasions. When you factor in that Nebraska is a very red state, and the highest number of posters in this forum are likely from Nebraska or surrounding Conservative states, I would bet that a good majority of overall huskerboard posters do lean to the right. Do I have the exact data to support this...no. But I think its a highly educated guess. So with that in mind, if one such poster ventures into this forum and clicks on the "Trump's America" thread, or the "Trump's Cabinet" thread, or the "Trump Fascist" thread, and many others, and they read a quick sampling of comments, it will become very apparent that there is not much diversity of thought going on in this forum (what I like to call groupthink). It's not to say that there are not some nuanced differences on some subjects, but it's still all a part of the same general sandbox. It almost reminds me of going into an opposing team's forums (such as Wisconsin) and putting in your comments...in more cases than not, it's unwelcome territory like entering the lion's den. So as I have shared two other times in this thread, I am certainly guilty of some very harsh criticism of Obama and his tenure as POTUS, but the scale is nothing in comparison to what has been displayed against Trump and Republicans in general.

Why do you insist on saying the exact same thing 800 times? If the way that some of us interact with you on here makes you not want to engage in this forum, cool. Leave, then. However, you're doing the same thing, and we're sticking around with no interest in refusing to engage. Why are you so upset?

BTW, I've posted on plenty of opposing teams messageboards in my time. I usually quite enjoy it and learn a lot, and am welcomed by many.

As far as the Berkeley situation, I've been asleep.

There are a lot of people who I think lean right here that I've never personally seen come out and say "I'm a Conservative!" I'm not going to label them - they may not even label themselves "conservative."

Regardless, why do you want to know who those people are? What do they have to do with the fact that you and 84 draw more ire for your posting style and rhetoric here than just about anyone else?

And for what feels like the 14th time, bnilhome, I've already agreed with you that 1) there is a leftist bias here and 2) many of the things people accuse you of doing are being done by people who lean left. Forgive my bluntness but you're either deliberately or unintentionally ignoring what I've continually stated. Do you want to continue throwing blame elsewhere and refuse to re-evaluate yourself? You admit that you've gone too far at times but have yet to say you're willing to adjust your approach, even if other people agree to the same thing.

• Fire 2

The reality is that if Hillary had won, you would see maybe 1/10th of the negative comments on here that you are seeing about Trump.

The reality, huh? Can you prove that? Can you provide some data? If not, you should stop claiming it to be true.

This is something I see constantly with Conservative posts, bold claims with zero empirical support or evidence.

But to the point of that statement. Yeah there might be less if it was Hillary, would it have anything to do with the fact she's spent 8 years in the White House, been a US Senator and served as Secretary of State? Would it have to do with the fact she's actually an experienced person and wouldn't concern herself with things like Arnold Schwarzenegger's Apprentice ratings?

• Fire 1

Hillary was more qualified for the position (based on experience) and her rhetoric is substantially less controversial.

Suggesting she'd receive less negative comments on here is hypothetical and probably true, but also comes with a hefty dose of "no sh*t."

• Fire 3

Hillary was more qualified for the position (based on experience) and her rhetoric is substantially less controversial.

Suggesting she'd receive less negative comments on here is hypothetical and probably true, but also comes with a hefty dose of "no sh*t."

Oh yeah? I'm sick of the bias groupthink. I bet you if I called a black person bro, he would be 1/10th as offended as if I called him a n****r. That's the reality.