What would make people feel less ostracized from P&R?

Getting back to the original question in the title.

I have been away from my computer for over a week. I saw this thread and wanted to think about it before I just responded.

It made me think back to when I first got on an internet message board. It was maybe 15-20 years ago. I liked Husker sports. So, I gravitated to a Husker message board (not this one). I found the discussions interesting simply for the fact that opinions would go back and forth and I found some people were really good at making arguments and backing them up while some people would have opinions but couldn't articulate where that opinion comes from or back it up with any factual information that would further the conversation.

I found this interesting since I was in sales at the time. My life was spent trying to convince people to believe in something.

I was also interested in politics so I would tend to gravitate to the political boards.

I found value in these boards personally for two reasons.

1) I always feel everyone should have their views challenged and that helps each individual become more knowledgable in a subject and also allows their views to be grounded on as much fact as possible. If you DON'T ever have your views challenged, then errors in your beliefs never are recognized so that you can learn more and become more informed.

and,

2) Since I was in sales, I always found it helpful to get better at expressing my point and articulating the point I want to get across while being challenged on what I was saying.

You might laugh at that because sometimes I really suck at it. But, I find it a helpful exercise.

So...getting back to the subject, I don't understand people coming to a message board and when challenged on their beliefs, they feel attacked, ostracized or not welcome. This is what these places are for as long as it's a respectable conversation. It gets really really boring if everyone just sits around and agrees on everything.

On the flip side, trolls are boring little gnats that are doing nothing more than just showing immaturity. It really is nothing more than that.

I really really wish there were more people here who supported Trump and believe what he says. I would love to see the data that makes people believe this stuff. It would help me be more comfortable with him sitting in the White House.

• Fire 5

This is a great statement/video by Rubio on the senate floor regarding the inability to debate issues. As a nation we cannot debate in a constructive way if

half of the population hates the other half and refuse to listen to the other side.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/02/the-marco-rubio-knockdown-of-elizabeth-warren-no-liberal-media-outlet-will-cover

This is a great statement/video by Rubio on the senate floor regarding the inability to debate issues. As a nation we cannot debate in a constructive way if

half of the population hates the other half and refuse to listen to the other side.

https://www.conservativereview.com/commentary/2017/02/the-marco-rubio-knockdown-of-elizabeth-warren-no-liberal-media-outlet-will-cover

I blame defunding public education. ;p

I'm glad Marco finally found his courage.

He's had six years to speak his piece about this.

He decides to do so now that his party has full control of everything.

Timing is suspect. I don't respect this man.

Rubio accusing Warren of dividing the country is pretty weak sauce. Now that the Repubicans are in power, we should start getting along? Where was this the last 6 years when the Republicans focused on nothing but obstruction? The Republicans have essentially signed up for years of obstruction by the other side, and now that they're reaping what they sowed, they don't like it.

And even the article itself is divisive by leading with this line, "In a speech you didn’t hear because it doesn’t make for good TV or reaffirm the liberal narrative". Yep, let's blame the other side, then say we need to get along. And this follows closely on the heels of silencing Warren during debate about the Sessions appointment. Silencing the opposition clearly sends a signal for honest and open debate.

TGHusker, I agree with your sentiment that we need to be able to debate and should have less partisanship and hate on both sides, but the Republicans and Rubio can hardly expect me to be convinced by their empty words. When Rubio comes out and denounces specific members of his own party for their part in this, then I'll take him seriously.

• Fire 3

Rubio accusing Warren of dividing the country is pretty weak sauce. Now that the Repubicans are in power, we should start getting along? Where was this the last 6 years when the Republicans focused on nothing but obstruction? The Republicans have essentially signed up for years of obstruction by the other side, and now that they're reaping what they sowed, they don't like it.

And even the article itself is divisive by leading with this line, "In a speech you didn’t hear because it doesn’t make for good TV or reaffirm the liberal narrative". Yep, let's blame the other side, then say we need to get along. And this follows closely on the heels of silencing Warren during debate about the Sessions appointment. Silencing the opposition clearly sends a signal for honest and open debate.

TGHusker, I agree with your sentiment that we need to be able to debate and should have less partisanship and hate on both sides, but the Republicans and Rubio can hardly expect me to be convinced by their empty words. When Rubio comes out and denounces specific members of his own party for their part in this, then I'll take him seriously.

This.

• Fire 1

How so? I'd say the divide between the two sides has deepened extensively over the past year. I think it'd be more suspect if the democrats had full control and he was saying this.

How so? I'd say the divide between the two sides has deepened extensively over the past year. I think it'd be more suspect if the democrats had full control and he was saying this.

Pretty much everything RedDenver said above. And yes, the divide probably worsened over the last year.

I don't think he'd be saying this if Dems had full control. He'd be doing what he's been doing the last 6 years... quietly going along with sheer, unequivocal obstructionism. If nothing else, he's complicit in it, because he never spoke out against it, and thus validate don't his approval.

He's a political coward and a shameless, craven opportunist with no spine.

• Fire 1