Huskers Looking Into Virtual Augmented Reality

Mavric

I posted a topic about something similar in 2015 when Riley first got here.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/74388-coach-riley-the-huskers-and-the-next-big-training-tool/?hl=%2Bvirtual+%2Breality

Stanford's been using something like this for a few years.

'I was blown away': Welcome to football's quarterback revolution

Specifically, the future of football coaching was being projected through a $350 headset connected to the laptops. The NFL coaches were watching Stanford's practice film from 2014. There were no exotic plays. No unusual formations -- just a handful of scout team reps run at three-quarters speed. The "wow" factor came from the perspective of it all. Whoever put on that headset with its earphones and goggles became the QB on that field in Palo Alto.

Look left and you can see your tight end settling into position next to the left tackle. In front of you, the safeties and MIKE linebacker are trying to get lined up. Turn your head to the right and you look over the right tackle and all the way out to the wide receiver on the right side of the formation with a cornerback facing him, peeking in at you. Keeping turning to the right -- it's OK to twist around. Now 180 degrees -- and whoa! -- there's your running back staring right at you.

"I was expecting something kinda cheesy, like video-game quality, and right when I was about to write them off, they put the headset on you and shoot, it's real," said one NFL QB coach after returning from Indy.

Twenty-nine-year-old Derek Belch, a former kicker and now quality control assistant for the Cardinal, led all the meetings. Belch could've told his audience some stats like how Kevin Hogan went from completing 64 percent of his passes up to 76 percent after the Stanford quarterback started using this headset regularly for about 20 minutes before games. Or that the Cardinal went from averaging 24 points a game to 38 in those final three games. Or that the team finished the year scoring on every one of its last 27 trips to the Red Zone when their first two units were on the field, which would seem even more jaw-dropping when you consider the team was scoring just around 50 percent inside the 20-yard-line before that.

http://www.foxsports...training-031115

This is something I've known was going to happen, and it's here. Nebraska needs to get in on this, immediately.

• Fire 1

Seems gimickie too me. I could see it for training your eye to pick up movements on a fastball but I don't think I like for football.

If they can develop the tech to where a coach can go into a virtual playing field with his players and stop/pause/rewind/highlight elements, it would be infinitely valuable. Imagine the blackshirts and Diaco all in a room in VR and Diaco is in the middle of "live" game action showing players how to pick up route trees and stunt and blitz and such.

I imagine this could have done Tommy Armstrong some good for reading defenses with no risk of injury.

As if it's going to translate to the field that easily.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/17/ap-fbo-virtual-reality-training

"When it's time for the test, Buchanan can look around just like in real life, with a complete 360-degree field of vision. He hears the play call from a coach or another player and then checks the formation and reads the defense pre-snap. After the ball is snapped, he watches how the defense reacts and then turns his head to the player he wants to receive the ball.

If it's the right choice, the ball flies through the air and connects with the receiver. If not, the simulator informs the QB a wrong decision has been made."

It's not a perfect system yet, but as far as I can tell it doesn't count against your limited on-field practice time so. . .no-brainer.

it's practice so how does it not count against the ncaa alloted time of practice? How much real football time do you feel is appropriate to give up to play a video game?

Isn't film technically practice? I mean thats where players truly learn and grasp the concepts before they apply them on the field.

I could see how if this was available to players during their down time it could be just as beneficial as sitting in their room watching hudl

Practice time is technically when coaches and players are together. Players can do as much film study or virtual reality work on their own as they want.

Seems gimickie too me. I could see it for training your eye to pick up movements on a fastball but I don't think I like for football.

If they can develop the tech to where a coach can go into a virtual playing field with his players and stop/pause/rewind/highlight elements, it would be infinitely valuable. Imagine the blackshirts and Diaco all in a room in VR and Diaco is in the middle of "live" game action showing players how to pick up route trees and stunt and blitz and such.

I imagine this could have done Tommy Armstrong some good for reading defenses with no risk of injury.

As if it's going to translate to the field that easily.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/17/ap-fbo-virtual-reality-training

"When it's time for the test, Buchanan can look around just like in real life, with a complete 360-degree field of vision. He hears the play call from a coach or another player and then checks the formation and reads the defense pre-snap. After the ball is snapped, he watches how the defense reacts and then turns his head to the player he wants to receive the ball.

If it's the right choice, the ball flies through the air and connects with the receiver. If not, the simulator informs the QB a wrong decision has been made."

It's not a perfect system yet, but as far as I can tell it doesn't count against your limited on-field practice time so. . .no-brainer.

it's practice so how does it not count against the ncaa alloted time of practice? How much real football time do you feel is appropriate to give up to play a video game?

Isn't film technically practice? I mean thats where players truly learn and grasp the concepts before they apply them on the field.

I could see how if this was available to players during their down time it could be just as beneficial as sitting in their room watching hudl

Practice time is technically when coaches and players are together. Players can do as much film study or virtual reality work on their own as they want.

I understand that, but players and coaches have film sessions daily. I also understand that players watch film on their own. I should have clarified better. What I meant was that if you could put players in a real to life environment (like VR) that is controlled to react however the coaches want it to, then they could get an extremely firm grip on the schemes, reads, and progressions I could see how it would be just as beneficial if not more so then sitting and watching film. Players are going to learn more if they can interact and be engaged, instead of just sitting and watching film. Film will always have its place, i.e. for identifying and recognizing other teams personal packages and things of that nature, but I think this VR thing is definitely the future.