Nathan Gerry

Mavric

Look...it's great that you want to argue for your point...the problem is THERE IS NO PROOF that it's valid. The only thing we have that is valid is Gerry saying, in print, that players weren't buying in. So please, stop arguing things that cannot be proven.

No, that's not the only thing we have. You have one comment. But are ignoring the vast majority of what happened during 24 games including him being in on 153 tackles, making 8 interceptions, being named to All-Conference teams, being graded by Pro Football Focus as one of the best safeties in the country and being drafted by the NFL. Those are all things that can be proven.

Now, if you'd like to argue that he was actually trying to be bad while basically leading the team in tackles and interceptions and accumulating those awards and recognitions, I guess you can try to do that. But that's a lot of really good things to happen to a guy who supposedly wasn't trying.

So there are really only three options that I can see. Feel free to try to prove the one you like or another you'd like to offer.

- Gerry is so good that he was still probably our best defender - and one of the best safeties in the conference and the country - despite not going all out and trying to sabotage the coaches.

- That one comment is being blown significantly out of proportion.

- Gerry really sucks at trying to be bad.

Edited by Mavric
  • Fire 2

Hey remember that one time When Gerry was trying to suck bc he didn't buy in and picked two passes off to kill badger drives?

I think his not buying in comment could be taken as calling out teammates for not putting in the best effort, posibly two d line teammates. That's how it could be perceived.

If the kid didn't buy he had two pretty good seasons for not doing so and wish we could see what he would be done if he had

• Fire 3

Criticizing players is one thing, but calling one of them 'Charmin' and then referencing yet-to-be-verified quotes is going to draw some ire, MC.

Yes. And let's please not have P&R friction boiling over into football talk. Be mindful to disagree with posts, not posters here. Thanks :)

Echoing this. Keep it civil, and the P&R talk in the proper forum.

This back and forth is hysterical.

Has anyone figured out that they don't have to be mutually exclusive?

Banker's scheme was weak AND some of the players had not bought in and/or were more suited to the prior regime's system.

It's not rocket science fellas. We've sucked for more than one reason for a long time and IMO Nate Gerry's play was not at the forefront of reasons why.

BTW, if I recall correctly, what Gerry actually said was that some of the players had not bought in. He didn't say he had not bought in or that he wasn't playing as hard as he could. So get your facts straight if you're going to use your faulty recollection to throw players under the bus.

Bingo. Guys didn't buy in, and the scheme sucked. Could the latter have caused the former? Who knows, it's possible. Remember, VV, Collins, and McMullen all left early, partially because of they weren't fans of their coaches.

"I don't badmouth anybody. But I have never talked to him. I've seen him, tried to speak to him. Nothing ever really resonated. Coach John Parrella has been there a few weeks, and we probably talked six, seven, eight times over the last few weeks. Same with Coach Riley. Coach Banker has been there over a year, and I never even saw him, never received a text, a call, anything.

"I'm an adult. I don't really get hurt about too many things, especially not if someone isn't reaching out. To me personally, it's more that it would be nice for a defensive coordinator to at least show some appreciation or level of respect for an individual."

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/tbl-inner-struggles-led-to-greg-mcmullen-s-decision-to/article_5a223622-080e-11e6-8893-f7d0ed63d783.html

The kids have to be receptive, but as a coach, you also have to do everything in your power to make the connection to these guys.

• Fire 1

Hey remember that one time When Gerry was trying to suck bc he didn't buy in and picked two passes off to kill badger drives?

I think his not buying in comment could be taken as calling out teammates for not putting in the best effort, posibly two d line teammates. That's how it could be perceived.

If the kid didn't buy he had two pretty good seasons for not doing so and wish we could see what he would be done if he had

Yes he made a lot of great plays, that's why I was a fan of him.

But like you said he had 2 pretty good seasons that could have been great had his efforts in the classroom been better. There's no real reason he should have missed any game time last year, other than a bullsh#t targeting call.

And to El Diaco's resposnse, I don't think he was exactly a Pelini holdout, but he used that mentality as an excuse. Word is he had the same tude when Pelini was coach.

But like you said he had 2 pretty good seasons that could have been great had his efforts in the classroom been better. There's no real reason he should have missed any game time last year, other than a bullsh#t targeting call.

And to El Diaco's resposnse, I don't think he was exactly a Pelini holdout, but he used that mentality as an excuse. Word is he had the same tude when Pelini was coach.

And the problem I have with that is that as a coach, if it's really that bad, you tell them that they have a choice to make, and if they don't correct it, you bench them. You cannot allow the inmates to run the asylum.

It's anecdotal, but we had to do that with a kid on my son's baseball team this year early in the season.

• Fire 1

And the problem I have with that is that as a coach, if it's really that bad, you tell them that they have a choice to make, and if they don't correct it, you bench them. You cannot allow the inmates to run the asylum.

It's anecdotal, but we had to do that with a kid on my son's baseball team this year early in the season.

Yep...which means either...

1. The coaches did not think that Gerry was sabotaging the team and not trying.

or

2. The coaches (a staff with over 60 years of coaching experience) somehow didn't notice that Gerry was hurting the team on purpose.

Hmmm

• Fire 2

or

2. The coaches (a staff with over 60 years of coaching experience) somehow didn't notice that Gerry was hurting the team on purpose.

Hmmm

Or...

3. They saw it, and didn't do anything about it.

• Fire 1

But like you said he had 2 pretty good seasons that could have been great had his efforts in the classroom been better. There's no real reason he should have missed any game time last year, other than a bullsh#t targeting call.And to El Diaco's resposnse, I don't think he was exactly a Pelini holdout, but he used that mentality as an excuse. Word is he had the same tude when Pelini was coach.

or

Hmmm

Or...

4. It's just a small character flaw and his lack of effort academically is unrelated AND benching one of the best players on defense, even when not giving 100% would be a bad deal.

But like you said he had 2 pretty good seasons that could have been great had his efforts in the classroom been better. There's no real reason he should have missed any game time last year, other than a bullsh#t targeting call.And to El Diaco's resposnse, I don't think he was exactly a Pelini holdout, but he used that mentality as an excuse. Word is he had the same tude when Pelini was coach.

or

Hmmm

Or...

4. It's just a small character flaw and his lack of effort academically is unrelated AND benching one of the best players on defense, even when not giving 100% would be a bad deal.

Which really is back to #1. Which is kinda what I think.

• Fire 1

or

Hmmm

Or...

They did bench him...at the start of the season.

I'm hardly stretching. It's stretching to think Riley would hire Banker if he thought he wasn't any good. Riley told us why he fired Banker and adding anything else to it, like "Banker just wasn't very good" is simply projecting your own opinion into the facts. Riley kept Banker with him for years when he didn't think he was a very good coach? Yeah, I'm not buying that one at all. Lol

Or Banker was adequate to good when he was hired, but then he didn't adjust his philosophy as offenses innovated, and he became a mediocre DC. Oregon State fans wanted him gone for years. Hell, they came over to this board told us he wasn't going to be good enough.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Nathan Gerry