Nathan Gerry

Mavric

Yeah, Nebraska tried Gerry at LB...he's not tough, or physical, enough to play LB.

He's Charmin. A soft, weak, half-speed, player.

Sorry fellow Nebraska fans, I'm just not a Nate Gerry fan. I think he embodied and carried forward for two years, every thing wrong about the former coach.

If he excels with the Eagles, terrific, I'll congratulate him. But I'll never root for, or like, him as person or player.

• Fire 3

Yeah, Nebraska tried Gerry at LB...he's not tough, or physical, enough to play LB.

Sorry fellow Nebraska fans, I'm just not a Nate Gerry fan. I think he embodied and carried forward for two years, every thing wrong about the former coach.

If he excels with the Eagles, terrific, I'll congratulate him. But I'll never root for, or like, him as person or player.

Where did you get the impression he "embodied...every thing wrong about the former coach"? I'm asking seriously because I never saw anything like that mentioned by other players or media. And the team voted him as a captain last year, something I doubt would have been done if he personified all the negative of the former regime.

• Fire 2

dude, you have a grudge problem, this kid is the sh#t!....he will play a role for the Eagles!

• Fire 1

Agreed. How quickly people forget about him bookending his senior season by not being able to play of his own volition.
  • Fire 2

dude, you have a grudge problem, this kid is the sh#t!....he will play a role for the Eagles!

I'm not saying he won't.

I'm saying not a fan of his. His words, after the loss to Purdue in 2015, still rankle me. He flat out admitted that they hadn't "bought in." The extremely poor play we saw against BYU, Illinois, Purdue, etc, painfully highlighted the lack of "buy in."

In football speak, not "buying in" means you go half speed, you don't care, and you're holding a grudge because the coach who recruited you got fired.

And then he didn't do his school work and wasn't eligible for the bowl game his senior year--which was 100% inexcusable.

So yeah...not a fan of the former #25.

• Fire 3

I'm not saying he won't.

I'm saying not a fan of his. His words, after the loss to Purdue in 2015, still rankle me. He flat out admitted that they hadn't "bought in." The extremely poor play we saw against BYU, Illinois, Purdue, etc, painfully highlighted the lack of "buy in."

In football speak, not "buying in" means you go half speed, you don't care, and you're holding a grudge because the coach who recruited you got fired.

And then he didn't do his school work and wasn't eligible for the bowl game his senior year--which was 100% inexcusable.

From snippets through out the past 2 years, that seems to have been an issue across the board. Lack of buy in, lack of effort etc.... Hoping that is all corrected and the horses are all pulling the same way now. If I was Riley, and they were not, they'd be talked to and if no improvement, shown the bench or the door..... Strong team leadership would alleviate a lot of this. (Not saying there isn't, but it "appears" there wasn't)

See I don't have a problem with any of that. I know I was never perfect when I was younger. What bothered me were the embarrassing whiffs he'd occasionally have when there was a fair amount of space between him and the ball carrier. I think he'd make an excellent linebacker though. I hope things work out for him.

See I don't have a problem with any of that. I know I was never perfect when I was younger. What bothered me were the embarrassing whiffs he'd occasionally have when there was a fair amount of space between him and the ball carrier. I think he'd make an excellent linebacker though. I hope things work out for him.

The former coach tried to make him a LB and it didn't work.

he was also fresh out of high school and was playing it for the first time.
  • Fire 2

As a freshman who played safety before. Not the easiest move. Totally different mindset. If they had move him back this year I think he would have been heads and toes better than his freshman year

I'm not saying he won't.

The lack of buy-in was on Riley. His job was to coach and inspire this team to win games.

We lost most of those games because of a poor scheme, not because the players weren't trying hard enough. If it was that easy, we wouldn't have just hired two new coordinators.

It's 100% understandable to be upset that his inability to go to class resulted in his suspension, but that kid played hard for us.

MO Husker said: It's 100% understandable to be upset that his inability to go to class resulted in his suspension, but that kid played hard for us.

Yes, "played hard for us" despite his obvious admittance to not...makes perfect sense.

I know there are some Husker fans who don't like what I am saying. But that's not the point. The point is, the last two (really last five) years of Nebraska football has been so mediocre because many of the players (who are starting and playing for Mike Riley) were recruited by the former coach.

It is an unpopular opinion to be sure, but Nebraska's players under the former coach grew accustomed being lazy, putting forth minimal effort, and were 100% okay with not only losing, but getting blown out.

Nebraska's performances on the field the last five seasons are ample proof of this.

• Fire 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Nathan Gerry