Complaining, Longing or Just Observing

I thought this was an interesting conversation considering some of the "discussions" that have gone on around here in the last two years.

Mike'l Severe‏ @MikelSevere 2h2 hours ago

Just because someone thinks something won't work, doesn't mean they wish for previous thing to come back. What do u want (Blank) coach back?

Mike'l Severe‏ @MikelSevere 2h2 hours agoMore

It's always the same thing. The success of this #Huskers coaching staff will be defined by them, not the previous guys. #FreshStart time.

Mike'l Severe‏ @MikelSevere 2h2 hours agoMore

I heard it with Solich, Callahan and Bo. Criticism is not a reflection of yearning for the past.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 42m42 minutes agoMore

Replying to @MikelSevere

And sometimes it's not even criticism. It's merely pointing out the other side. Objectivity is dangerous for the PR patrol.

I can agree and understand.

But, our staff isn't what the previous ones were.

Riley & Co. has shown us strong recruitment....

and the will to impose their air game via Langsdorf

That ought to buy this staff a few years... if not more.

Dirk fulfills a need in the sports section and I've always appreciated him for that. I don't always like what he writes, and I don't always agree with it, but I understand his role and function. People look to him for certain context and that's what he delivers.

As far as his writing under the previous regime, he's a columnist. He's doesn't do the game story. He gets to be opinionated. The previous regime gave Dirk (and other writers) plenty of ammunition and reasons to not hold back. I'm not saying I agreed with it all the time, but I do understand why things were the way they were.

• Fire 2

Dirk fulfills a need in the sports section and I've always appreciated him for that. I don't always like what he writes, and I don't always agree with it, but I understand his role and function. People look to him for certain context and that's what he delivers.

As far as his writing under the previous regime, he's a columnist. He's doesn't do the game story. He gets to be opinionated. The previous regime gave Dirk (and other writers) plenty of ammunition and reasons to not hold back. I'm not saying I agreed with it all the time, but I do understand why things were the way they were.

And not only that, but as we're seeing with the press in the national political arena, a free society needs a press corps that will ask the tough questions.

The press is the the voice that questions and holds powerful people/leaders accountable and it doesn't matter if it is in the political or sports arena.

• Fire 1

And not only that, but as we're seeing with the press in the national political arena, a free society needs a press corps that will ask the tough questions.

The press is the the voice that questions and holds powerful people/leaders accountable and it doesn't matter if it is in the political or sports arena.

Agreed - and yes, sometimes, a writer or writers will develop the reputation of being negative or inclined to "pile it on." I would argue, to a degree, those personalities and writers are necessary.

I agree. Sort of. With two possible exceptions. First, I think the manner in which the previous staff left can have an effect on the team buying into the new staff. For example, it probably doesn't help team chemistry if the previous staff rents an off-campus gymnasium and spends an hour bad mouthing the program. And I also think the lack of recruiting success of one staff can and does affect the next staff for a couple or three years. It might even have a large effect for a year or two. But by the fourth year the previous staff's recruiting shortcoming should no longer be an issue. GBR!

I get what you are saying but I think people need to stop with this idea that the players so mentally fragile. Like, Lightbourne had a hard time punting because SF died...No, that is probably not the case.

CL was an 18 year old kid that had to fill the shoes of SF that was looking to cap his college career with an all-American type season / was considered to be EVERYTHING that represents a Nebraska kid playing big time football at NU and unfortunately lost his life way before his time. If you don't think that mentally weighted on our punting stats for last year then we can agree to disagree.

It didn't.

We really need to stop pretending like the Husker players are the most fragile weak minded people on the planet.

• Fire 3

Check in on this board almost daily for recruiting news this time of year but don't post much (as you can tell by my post count) but had to respond to your comment Chimi.

A "free society" needs a "free press" and what we have had for quite awhile now is a corporate owned press, bought and paid for. Tough questions? Much if not most of our press has an agenda per their owners mandate and ask stupid, silly and superficial questions and answer their own questions with biased answers. Now I am all for getting a good education and I am sure they are very "educated" but don't confuse being educated with having intelligence, not that you can't have both. My dad used to say there are folks that are educated beyond their intelligence. I have lived long enough to experience this first hand over and over again.

I am persuaded that this mindset is prevalent in both arenas but I don't mind those in the sports arena as long as they stay out of the other arena because it's purely entertainment for me. That is why I don't watch espn anymore except during the football season for the games and I don't miss it.

Well when it comes to Severe and McKewon, for my taste I think they are kinda negative. They like to point out what the percieve as problems and call it being objective. It is just that I feel it is mostly negative with very little positive. I used to really like to read Sam's stuff a lot. When he used to not work for OWH and did his on line stuff. I really liked reading his weekly stuff about what they needed to do to win the game. It was indepth and told us his keys without really giving any odds no matter how long they were. I guess I like a little hope mixed in with my doom and gloom.

Well it is realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hard to be positive after the last 15 yrs or so. There just hasn't been enough good things happen to be optimistic

I think it's all three: complaining, observing, and longing.

As Nebraska fans, we are longing to get back to the national elite. Back to that place where, when national pundits talk about the best teams in the country every year they mention Nebraska.

As Nebraska fans, we're observing that we just don't have "it" quite yet. What is "it?" Talent? Heart? Work ethic? Passion? Great coaching/schemes? The problem is, there is no single definitive answer. It could be any one, all, or any in between, combination. Whatever the recipe is, we don't have it yet.

As Nebraska fans, yes we also complain (like every other fan base). We complain when referee calls don't go our way, when coaches make stupid calls, when back up players aren't playing, etc.

For me personally, I know what type of offense I want to see, but honestly, I don't care what offense we run as long as it is productive, efficient, explosive, and we win. I know...real revolutionary thinking.

I just want Mike Riley to get that breakthrough season and right now, that means finishing a season with less than 4 losses.

that is not a break through

Making Chimchangas said: I just want Mike Riley to get that breakthrough season and right now, that means finishing a season with less than 4 losses.

marko polo said: that is not a break through

It is for me. Nebraska has had 4 losses every season since 2008*. That's 9 years buddy. So having a season with less than 4 losses would definitely be a breakthrough. It would be a small one, but it would be one nonetheless.

* Except 2015 when Nebraska had 7 losses.

Making Chimchangas said: I just want Mike Riley to get that breakthrough season and right now, that means finishing a season with less than 4 losses.

It is for me. Nebraska has had 4 losses every season since 2008*. That's 9 years buddy. So having a season with less than 4 losses would definitely be a breakthrough. It would be a small one, but it would be one nonetheless.

NU also hasn't finished with less than 4 losses in 13 seasons. That's a long ass time.

NU also hasn't finished with less than 4 losses in 13 seasons. That's a long ass time.

Yeah I selectively left out the Callahan years as going back even 9 years was depressing enough.

Well when it comes to Severe and McKewon, for my taste I think they are kinda negative. They like to point out what the percieve as problems and call it being objective. It is just that I feel it is mostly negative with very little positive. I used to really like to read Sam's stuff a lot. When he used to not work for OWH and did his on line stuff. I really liked reading his weekly stuff about what they needed to do to win the game. It was indepth and told us his keys without really giving any odds no matter how long they were. I guess I like a little hope mixed in with my doom and gloom.

Well it is realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly hard to be positive after the last 15 yrs or so. There just hasn't been enough good things happen to be optimistic

It's not hard to be positive at all. It's a choice you make.

Doesn't mean you can't be skeptical. Or withhold judgement until the results are in.

But the constant drumbeat of negativity doesn't make you the more discerning Husker fan. Just shrill and whiny.