The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, RedDenver said:

Bernie voted on those things before they were signed. Trump has talked about those things after they were signed. I haven't looked it up, but is Bernie now proposing the same fixes for those issues as Trump - that's a far stronger comparison.

Plus I'm sure there's tweets of Trump saying the exact oppose on those issues as well. We could probably tie almost any candidate to Trump on some issues.

Nothing was said about "fixes".  Just that they both are against those things.

24 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I mean it's not that complicated. Either you're for protectionism and skeptical of free trade pacts or you're not.

Yep, no middle ground or shades of grey whatsoever.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nothing was said about "fixes".  Just that they both are against those things.

The reason I said it's disingenuous is because it's an attempt to equate Bernie and Trump. It'd be like me saying that BRB agrees with Trump on economic policy because you both support lower tax rates and farm subsidies. Or saying Hillary and Trump agree on foreign policy because they both support Israel and Saudi Arabia.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The reason I said it's disingenuous is because it's an attempt to equate Bernie and Trump. It'd be like me saying that BRB agrees with Trump on economic policy because you both support lower tax rates and farm subsidies. Or saying Hillary and Trump agree on foreign policy because they both support Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Well....

We all know Trump didn't want anything to do with NAFTA, China normal relations and TPP when he took office and he hasn't disappointed.

I remember Bernie campaigning pretty heavily about how much he hated NAFTA and TPP.  

If they are the two nominees, the debate is going to be pretty difficult for either of them to attack the other on these issues.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well....

We all know Trump didn't want anything to do with NAFTA, China normal relations and TPP when he took office and he hasn't disappointed.

I remember Bernie campaigning pretty heavily about how much he hated NAFTA and TPP.  

If they are the two nominees, the debate is going to be pretty difficult for either of them to attack the other on these issues.

I get what you're saying, but even if they completely agree that those are issues, that's not the same as agreeing on the solution or policy to address the issue. And that's not the same as Bernie and Trump agreeing on "trade and foreign policy" broadly as Bill Kristol is trying to make it seem.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

As stated above, nothing was said about solutions or fixes.

Correct, Krystol doesn't separate issues vs solutions as he broadly just claims they agree:

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, what would Bernie's "solutions" be if he were President right now?  How does he get us out of NAFTA?

Here's an article that details the similarities and the differences between their proposed solutions:

Sanders and Trump agree NAFTA has to change. They split on how to fix it.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

But I mean you're making a broader argument about how they're dissimilar in an area in which they're pretty similar.

That's the crux of discussing policy. Two otherwise opposite candidates sometimes align in their views.

Kristol made a pretty narrow point, but he was correct.

41 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

But I mean you're making a broader argument about how they're dissimilar in an area in which they're pretty similar.

That's the crux of discussing policy. Two otherwise opposite candidates sometimes align in their views.

Kristol made a pretty narrow point, but he was correct.

So @Danny Bateman agrees with Bill Kristol on presidential candidates.