The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Exactly. You just proved my point.

How about this: I'll just say that I still think Kristol was correct in his assertion, but I also agree with you that they have very different ways of going about addressing the problems.

They bother share what is the traditionally American liberal position on trade, which is to oppose these free trade pacts and argue we ought to be doing more to improve the lives of workers and increase domestic manufacturing. Trump has done very little to that end and his trade wars have been incredibly damaging for specific industries. He didn't stray from GOP orthodoxy at all with his tax bill, which doesn't really help workers all that much, and the help they did get is temporary.

They're both campaigned on anti-interventionism. But being advised by people like John Bolton isn't very good in that regard. He's basically ramped up all existing military conflicts we were already in, though he's tried to make a big deal out of a supposed withdrawal from Afghanistan that doesn't appear to have actually transpired. They're also polar opposites with regard to the Middle East.

Trump is a liar in populist's clothing. I believe Bernie's beliefs to be sincere. But they're largely similar in their stated beliefs.

Just now, Danny Bateman said:

How about this: I'll just say that I still think Kristol was correct in his assertion, but I also agree with you that they have very different ways of going about addressing the problems.

They bother share what is the traditionally American liberal position on trade, which is to oppose these free trade pacts and argue we ought to be doing more to improve the lives of workers and increase domestic manufacturing. Trump has done very little to that end and his trade wars have been incredibly damaging for specific industries. He didn't stray from GOP orthodoxy at all with his tax bill, which doesn't really help workers all that much, and the help they did get is temporary.

They're both campaigned on anti-interventionism. But being advised by people like John Bolton isn't very good in that regard. He's basically ramped up all existing military conflicts we were already in, though he's tried to make a big deal out of a supposed withdrawal from Afghanistan that doesn't appear to have actually transpired. They're also polar opposites with regard to the Middle East.

Trump is a liar in populist's clothing. I believe Bernie's beliefs to be sincere. But they're largely similar in their stated beliefs.

What I'm trying to say is that Kristol took a few specific examples and then asserted a much broader premise. I disagree with that broader assertion, so I disagree that Kristol is correct. If he made a narrower assertion that there's specific issues that Trump and Bernie agree are issues (which you give examples of), then I'd agree with that.

And I also disagree with your last sentence, which again tries to draw a broader similarity than is warranted.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This is interesting.   Ron Paul say Tulsi is the best in regards to foreign policy.  Disagrees wt her economic proposals

I'm not sure if there's anyone's opinion that I care less about than Rand Paul.   (actually there's a lot of them), but I don't see this as a win for Tulsi. 

She won't even make the debates.

You can say this about Elizabeth Warren - she is a policy wonk - and I don't mean that disparagingly.    Agree wt her or not on the individual policies, I am glad she is willing to

state her policies openly and bravely.  Many are far less open or willing to do the hard work of developing thoughtful proposals for evaluation - especially this early in the game.

https://news.yahoo.com/elizabeth-warren-opioid-policy-120214559.html

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., teamed up with Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) on Wednesday to announce the CARE Act, a $100 billion plan to fight the opioid crisis. Warren, who is running for president, framed the proposal as part of her larger push for a more fair economy in a blog post announcing the move.

“The ongoing opioid crisis is about health care. But it’s about more than that. It’s about money and power in America — who has it, and who doesn’t. And it’s about who faces accountability in America — and who doesn’t,” Warren wrote. “If the CARE Act becomes law, every single person would get the care they need. … We should pass it — not in two years, not after the 2020 elections — but immediately.”

Warren described opiates as a “national public health crisis of great magnitude” like the HIV/AIDS epidemic that emerged in the late 1980s. The CARE Act was modeled after legislation Congress passed in 1990 to fight AIDS.

Warren has distinguished herself in the crowded field of Democratic presidential candidates by releasing over 20 detailed policy proposals. Most of her plans are focused on addressing structural inequities. In her blog post she suggested the CARE Act could be funded by another one of her policies, the Ultra-Millionaire Tax, which would apply to the top .1 percent of Americans. “Here’s how it works. If you have more than $50 million, we’re going to ask you to pay a tax of two cents per dollar on every dollar after your fifty-millionth and first,” Warren wrote. “It raises $2.75 trillion over the next ten years — enough to pay for my plans to cancel student loan debt and provide universal free college, fully fund universal childcare, and end the opioid epidemic. And guess what — we’d still have nearly a trillion dollars left over.”

• Thanks 1

I think what some of this comes down to is that the idiots in the WH and their entitled family members and the small minded supporters around the US think that it can't be collusion if it's done openly.  If the world knows about it and it isn't being hidden it can't be wrong or illegal.