RIP Chris Cornell

Being a teenager during the grunge era I never liked Soundgarden (or Alice in Chains). Their music just never clicked with me. But Hunger Strike, Say Hello 2 Heaven & All Night Thing from Temple of the Dog are great plus I did enjoy some of the Audioslave stuff.

That being said it's always too bad when someone passes away at a fairly young age. Especially if it was suicide or an overdose.

Did you like the grunge music scene at all? I understand if it didn't click with you, we all have our own tastes.

I loved the grunge scene. My brother got me The Singles soundtrack for Christmas one year, and it was my first exposure to the Seattle sound. That album had Alice in Chains, Chris Cornell (had a solo song), Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins (although they weren't from Seattle), and others. I still mostly listen to Pearl Jam radio on Pandora.

Pearl Jam, Candlebox, STP, & Nirvana were my grunge bands of choice. I'm a huge Blind Melon guy but they really only dressed grunge (labeled more alternative) and just happened to come out during that era.

The Singles Soundtrack has one of my favorite PJ songs on it plus the Mother Love Bone song that is responsible for my oldest daughters first name.

I get Soundgardens place in grunge history and appreciate what they did, they just weren't what I was looking for.

No problem. I liked STP and Nirvana more as a youth, as well. As I grew older, I came to appreciate Cornell's voice. That's why his passing is hitting me hard at this time.

The PJ bootlegs are great. So cool to own a copy of the show you attended.

I got a PJ bootleg from a CD shop the summer of '94. I wore that out during my freshman year at UNL the next year.

Youtube has really good concert videos that people put together. I have watched the PJ '14 show in Denver that I went to, as well as a Temple of the Dog Los Angeles show from last December that my friend went to.

He got me a Temple of the Dog concert t-shirt, which I am wearing under my work shirt today.

I got a PJ bootleg from a CD shop the summer of '94. I wore that out during my freshman year at UNL the next year.

Youtube has really good concert videos that people put together. I have watched the PJ '14 show in Denver that I went to, as well as a Temple of the Dog Los Angeles show from last December that my friend went to.

He got me a Temple of the Dog concert t-shirt, which I am wearing under my work shirt today.

Whoa! That's a real bootleg! Wish I would've been born a little earlier lol. I've always lamented the fact I wasn't old enough to see the Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam tour.

Youtube is great for finding live shows, especially festival appearances.

My wife and I saw Cornell do an acoustic set at an theater here in Denver in October 2016. It was a great 2-hour show. He played about 20 songs, which was a mix of Soundgarden, TOTD, Audioslave, solo songs, and some covers. Cornell was 6'3" (tall for a singer), and had a real presence on stage.

Wow, I bet that was incredible.

Whoa! That's a real bootleg! Wish I would've been born a little earlier lol. I've always lamented the fact I wasn't old enough to see the Chili Peppers, Nirvana and Pearl Jam tour.

Youtube is great for finding live shows, especially festival appearances.

That bootleg had terrible sound quality, but it was fun to listen to. I got it because it had Yellow Ledbetter on it, which hadn't been recorded on a PJ album yet.

One thing I wish I would have done more as a kid was to go see more concerts. I missed Nirvana in Omaha when I was a senior in high school, and I didn't see PJ until recently. I would have really liked to see RHCP when I was younger too. RHCP still tours, but I'm not as into their recent stuff as I was their older albums.

My wife and I saw Cornell do an acoustic set at an theater here in Denver in October 2015. It was a great 2-hour show. He played about 30 songs, which was a mix of Soundgarden, TOTD, Audioslave, solo songs, and some covers. Cornell was 6'3" (tall for a singer), and had a real presence on stage.

Wow, I bet that was incredible.

Yeah, it was a great performance. I skipped out on going to the Illinois game in Champaign that year (Teach and some other friends went), so I could go to that show on that Friday night. The concert made it even more worth it after NU pissed that Illinois game away on Saturday.

Homers back in the day sold bootlegs from a lot of bands. They were hit or miss on the quality though. Maybe it's just me but I enjoyed those disks more because they weren't as accessible like the shows are now.

They were so big when I was in high school and college...

Of course they hardly ever made the play list at our frat parties...that was always dance stuff!

You could get away with playing some grunge tunes in the smaller "room parties" because that was mostly hanging out and chilling. But, if it was a big, basement party, that had to be dance tunes.

Homers back in the day sold bootlegs from a lot of bands. They were hit or miss on the quality though. Maybe it's just me but I enjoyed those disks more because they weren't as accessible like the shows are now.

Yeah, I got that PJ bootleg from either the Old Market Homers or a smaller CD shop in downtown Omaha. I had a friend who tried to find the most obscure music ever just so he could be the only one who liked that band. He would always be on quests to find rare CD's.