LJS: Culture Problem for Huskers?

Nebraska is one of the very last schools in the country to be worried about an actual culture problem. If Sipple or the majority of people that work at the LJS, or in the athletic department, were exposed to the sh#t that goes down at major football schools on the coasts and in the south they wouldn't stop blushing for weeks

The journalists in Nebraska believe that because we had a soft spoken coach it somehow equated to us doing things the right way. The "culture" in Nebraska was, at times, as bad as any other program. There are players from that era that talk about it a lot.

I don't believe this to be true for most journalists in the state. I believe the more significant variable was success. It's easier to forget, gloss over or pay less attention to the unfavorable aspects of a program when that program is winning.

Although an imperfect analogy, consider this: Nick Saban is a tyrant on the sidelines, but people often view this far differently than Bo Pelini's sideline adventures. In my opinion, this was the case because one of those coaches was at the top of their game and the other wasn't.

• Fire 2

Nebraska is one of the very last schools in the country to be worried about an actual culture problem. If Sipple or the majority of people that work at the LJS, or in the athletic department, were exposed to the sh#t that goes down at major football schools on the coasts and in the south they wouldn't stop blushing for weeks

The journalists in Nebraska believe that because we had a soft spoken coach it somehow equated to us doing things the right way. The "culture" in Nebraska was, at times, as bad as any other program. There are players from that era that talk about it a lot.

I don't believe this to be true for most journalists in the state. I believe the more significant variable was success. It's easier to forget, gloss over or pay less attention to the unfavorable aspects of a program when that program is winning.

Although an imperfect analogy, consider this: Nick Saban is a tyrant on the sidelines, but people often view this far differently than Bo Pelini's sideline adventures. In my opinion, this was the case because one of those coaches was at the top of their game and the other wasn't.

I'm referring to doing things the right way. Not necessarily the success part

I'm referring to doing things the right way. Not necessarily the success part

I know, but perhaps I didn't articulate that very well.

My point is that winning makes everything else seem less significant. That's why there might be a perception that Nebraska did things the right away, even though they didn't always. TO's demeanor may have played a role in this but I don't think it was a significant contributing factor.

It was also, even in the 90's, mostly a few bad apples amongst a solid group of guys that were at least handled and kept in line well.

Does anyone really think that the UNC academic scandal, the currently ongoing Ole Miss bankruptcy of ethics, the Penn State Sandusky cover-up, the Baylor rape culture, etc., could ever happen here?

They couldn't. There are too many safeguards and too many well-meaning, ho-hum, humble locals that have influence on the state of the program and the department for any real, legitimate culture problems like that to ever manifest.

It was also, even in the 90's, mostly a few bad apples amongst a solid group of guys that were at least handled and kept in line well.

Does anyone really think that the UNC academic scandal, the currently ongoing Ole Miss bankruptcy of ethics, the Penn State Sandusky cover-up, the Baylor rape culture, etc., could ever happen here?

They couldn't. There are too many safeguards and too many well-meaning, ho-hum, humble locals that have influence on the state of the program and the department for any real, legitimate culture problems like that to ever manifest.

Never say never. Desperation leads programs to look the other way, and while we're not there now, we could be if we're dealing with the same crap in ten years as we are now.

don't ever say never happen here..........complacency is a virus easily contracted!