LJS: Culture Problem for Huskers?

Was Sipple not a reporter for the LJS from 94-?? when the Peter Brothers, Lawrence Phillips, Thunder Collins, etc were on the team?

I mean, "lack of accountability." 2 players got busted for weed during the summer. Can't really hold them accountable yet.

Nate Gerry didn't go to class all year and so HE WAS HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS BY BEING SUSPENDED FROM THE BOWL GAME.

Sipple is a hack writer that should have been fired for his indecent exposure charge at a strip club. But let's depend on him to talk about the transgressions of college kids.

Bingo on the bolded part. It is rather annoying reading some of this dribble considering everything that went down a couple of decades ago. I don't know how "protected" the athletes are today by the police in Lincoln, but back then they were rather protected. Anyone remember Farley's first DUI? He got caught earlier in the night and taken home. He'd have never even gotten a DUI if he'd just have come back in the morning to get his car. He went back later that night and was then pulled over again before even getting a DUI.

Until I read about Riley going and interviewing sexual assault victims questioning their testimony, I'm not going to buy into this hack reporting about accountability.

From things I heard the Lincoln Police started cracking down more about 15 years ago, not sure if they got a new boss or if that is just a bunch of BS.

I am sure some cops enjoy busting players and I am sure some hate it.

I don't think there are "ardent" Riley and Eichorst supporters as much as there are people suggesting a little context and patience to fans who want to throw them under the bus for 20 years of slow decline.

This notion that there have to be two polarized sides to every story is making America really stupid.

• Fire 3

Not going to give this article the click it's so desperately searching for.

If I may be blunt, Nebraska is never going to reach championship caliber football relying on the good guys with stellar grades, but that's beside the main point. I haven't seen anything to suggest Nebraska has "culture" issues any different than most other universities, and most of what the players have been busted for pales in comparison to what some of our players were being accused and arrested for in the 90s.

• Fire 1

I look at it like this. Yes a lot of college kids smoke. But I disagree with the guy that said you cant hold the 2 that got busted over the summer accountable. You are giving these kids scholarships to play for your university. if they cant stay clean long enough to play their 3-4 years for you and not get in trouble do they really respect you or the university. But again with today's generations most of the parents and kids are soft so therefore you cant hold them accountable.

On the other hand if it was an SEC school that the kids were caught 90% of this site would want them suspended. lol.

• Fire 2

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 5m5 minutes ago

In Mike Riley's culture he wants players to take ownership for their actions and hold each other accountable. Ethos over rules.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 4m4 minutes ago

Thing is, this is a young team. And today's athlete is reluctant anyway to get in some dude's grill. It's a very "you do you" society.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 2m2 minutes ago

Which means it's tricky. As a coach you don't want to be something you're not. But you need players who walk the walk and talk the talk.

Off-season Nebraska workout program put position leaders in charge. That's designed to help develop accountability/leadership.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH now1 minute ago

But, inevitably, Nebraska may need one or more players to go above and beyond that. Guys who walk the walk and talk the talk.

• Fire 1

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 5m5 minutes ago

In Mike Riley's culture he wants players to take ownership for their actions and hold each other accountable. Ethos over rules.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH 4m4 minutes ago

Thing is, this is a young team. And today's athlete is reluctant anyway to get in some dude's grill. It's a very "you do you" society.

Which means it's tricky. As a coach you don't want to be something you're not. But you need players who walk the walk and talk the talk.

Off-season Nebraska workout program put position leaders in charge. That's designed to help develop accountability/leadership.

Samuel McKewon‏ @swmckewonOWH now1 minute ago

But, inevitably, Nebraska may need one or more players to go above and beyond that. Guys who walk the walk and talk the talk.

Jesus Sam. 2 players out of over 100. I'd say that the players holding each other accountable is working out okay.

• Fire 2

Nebraska is one of the very last schools in the country to be worried about an actual culture problem. If Sipple or the majority of people that work at the LJS, or in the athletic department, were exposed to the sh#t that goes down at major football schools on the coasts and in the south they wouldn't stop blushing for weeks

• Fire 4

Nebraska is one of the very last schools in the country to be worried about an actual culture problem. If Sipple or the majority of people that work at the LJS, or in the athletic department, were exposed to the sh#t that goes down at major football schools on the coasts and in the south they wouldn't stop blushing for weeks

The journalists in Nebraska believe that because we had a soft spoken coach it somehow equated to us doing things the right way. The "culture" in Nebraska was, at times, as bad as any other program. There are players from that era that talk about it a lot.