Riley Calls Out Offensive Line

You guys missed teachercd's point. It isn't that you are crappy because you screen, you screen because you are crappy and are in 2nd and long and 3rd and long a lot. You know, because you are really bad offensively and can't stay on schedule.

I'm pretty sure the two of us understand how and when to call a screen pass...

This is ridiculous. You run plays that work for you. I think the Patriots have led the NFL in screens a number of years, and other teams talk about stopping the Patriots screen game. I don't think anyone would say the Pats are really bad offensively.

• Fire 1

To me this year just sounds different. The kids are not running their mouths, they are just saying we will do our best, taking the step forward when asked. Hope we get thru fall practice healthy and see the team play to the best of their abilities this year. I think we are closer to being a real team, than we have been for quite awhile.

Overall, to me they just sound more confident, know what they are doing, and want to prove it.

• Fire 1

The interior of Nebraska’s line, if you’re just going off what I saw and heard this week, is NU’s best interior in awhile. Guards Tanner Farmer and Jerald Foster look more than solid, their backups at guard — Boe Wilson and John Raridon — do, too, and top guy Cole Conrad is a big ole Big Ten center who was a little out of position at right tackle, but sturdy inside. From what I could see — across a field — the run blocking was good and interior pass blocking was solid, too. Michael Decker is the No. 2 center and a quality backup if he doesn’t win the starting job. Based on drills and some team passing plays, David Knevel looks better than last season and Nick Gates is closer to who he was at the start of last season than the end of it. I watched the interior trio much more, and, for one week, it was a good look for third-and-short. Among backups, Matt Farniok is fun because he’s aggressive and when he gets into the ribs of a defender, he’s got 'em. The second line: Christian Gaylord, Raridon, Decker, Wilson and Farniok. Jalin Barnett was down with the third group, the freshmen.

OWH

Coaches John Parrella and Bob Diaco emphasize motor and effort and power, and this group’s pretty good at listening to their coaching. The two-deep — Carlos Davis, Mick Stoltenberg and Freedom Akinmoladun are the 1s while DaiShon Neal, Peyton Newell and Khalil Davis are the 2s — has a lunch-pail quality to it, but, at least on Week 1, the offense busted a few inside runs. Neal shed weight; he looks excellent. Newell, at nose tackle, scraps hard; he wants to play. Stoltenberg is the leader of the bunch. No clear read from me on Damion Daniels and Deontre Thomas, working with the 3s.

OWH

The interior of Nebraska’s line, if you’re just going off what I saw and heard this week, is NU’s best interior in awhile. Guards Tanner Farmer and Jerald Foster look more than solid, their backups at guard — Boe Wilson and John Raridon — do, too, and top guy Cole Conrad is a big ole Big Ten center who was a little out of position at right tackle, but sturdy inside. From what I could see — across a field — the run blocking was good and interior pass blocking was solid, too. Michael Decker is the No. 2 center and a quality backup if he doesn’t win the starting job. Based on drills and some team passing plays, David Knevel looks better than last season and Nick Gates is closer to who he was at the start of last season than the end of it. I watched the interior trio much more, and, for one week, it was a good look for third-and-short. Among backups, Matt Farniok is fun because he’s aggressive and when he gets into the ribs of a defender, he’s got 'em. The second line: Christian Gaylord, Raridon, Decker, Wilson and Farniok. Jalin Barnett was down with the third group, the freshmen.

OWH

That is probably the most positive things I have heard out of Sam M. when it comes to the offensive line in a long time. Which is a good thing. He really has not been happy with the O-line in a long time.

Sad to see that Barnett just doesn't get it. It seems like the consensus on him is that he is not real sure he wants to play football that badly.

• Fire 1