Nebraska Paying Arkansas State $1.65M

Mavric

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'd be willing to be it Arkansas St was a top 10 team and Jerry World offered your AD $5-6M to play like they do Michigan-Florida for the game, he would be a bigger fan of them.

Absolutely, a paradigm shift of that magnitude would definitely warrant a change in strategy.

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

-I wish P5 teams didn't do this anymore

Is it the FCS or the fact that they aren't a top 40 team?

The extra home game is a win -  We bring in way more revenue then 1.65.  Heck look at Northwestern paying 1.3  - I would be surprised if we don't profit way more than. 0.35 over what they bring in.    There are plenty of terrible P5 schools that could give us a similar match then what we are getting from  Ark St (fcs).  It sucks playing any weak team, however it is much more difficult to bring a good quality team and not have to travel the following year (-1 home game).  This is coming across as a knock on Ark St - and that's not my point they are way better then most of the schools that get scheduled for this type of game.  

The combination of home-and-away with teams like OU, Colorado, Oregon mixed in with some guaranteed Home games ( - minus $1M+) is the way it needs to be for a team like Nebraska that has strong attendance.

3 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

The extra home game is a win -  We bring in way more revenue then 1.65.  Heck look at Northwestern paying 1.3  - I would be surprised if we don't profit way more than. 0.35 over what they bring in.    There are plenty of terrible P5 schools that could give us a similar match then what we are getting from  Ark St (fcs).  It sucks playing any weak team, however it is much more difficult to bring a good quality team and not have to travel the following year (-1 home game).  This is coming across as a knock on Ark St - and that's not my point they are way better then most of the schools that get scheduled for this type of game.  

The combination of home-and-away with teams like OU, Colorado, Oregon mixed in with some guaranteed Home games ( - minus $1M+) is the way it needs to be for a team like Nebraska that has strong attendance.

Arkansas State isn't FCS. They are in the Sun Belt conference, which is FBS.  

• Plus1 1

On 8/30/2017 at 8:35 PM, StPaulHusker said:

Not normally.  I think it's the subject matter that has me off.

Lee B's article is bullsh#t

I'm just tired of P5 schools playing non P5schools

I can't stand the chair trophy argument

And I didn't like the Fox NU ad.

Just a bad week for me, I guess

I don't mind us playing another FBS team even though it's not P5.  These teams are FBS teams.  So, they should have the chance to play P5 Teams in non-con.  If not, we basically would just have a league of P5 teams and that's it.  I don't think that's what everyone wants.

I can agree with the rest of your list.  I'm really really really tired of those discussions.  We need this season to get started NOW.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't mind us playing another FBS team even though it's not P5.  These teams are FBS teams.  So, they should have the chance to play P5 Teams in non-con.  If not, we basically would just have a league of P5 teams and that's it.  I don't think that's what everyone wants.

I can agree with the rest of your list.  I'm really really really tired of those discussions.  We need this season to get started NOW.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I find nothing compelling playing teams from the WAC or Sunbelt.  

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, GBRFAN said:

Nebraska doesn't need the money.  So the argument about the bringing in more revenue is pointless.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Nebraska doesn't need the money.  So the argument about the bringing in more revenue is pointless.

Nebraska doesn't "need" the money because Nebraska has done the things to bring in a metric crap ton of money every year (for those unfamiliar the metric crap ton is larger than the English crap ton)

You want to play more home and homes? MOST of the college football universe would stand and applaud while the AD's at your peer schools would pants you when you get the courage to talk to the pretty girl in the hallway.

Miami is play A-State home and home, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Iowa State have or have scheduled a home and home.

Buy games exist because buy games work.

More money for the schools with big crowds and donors giddy every time the AD invents a new way to part them with their money. They work wonderfully for the opponents as well. It puts a seven figure number in the revenue column that buys the AD some grace with the university chancellor when creating a costly budget.

Home and homes are the province of schools who cannot afford to buy games and the province of G5 schools that can afford to host those games.

When people bemoan that FBS is too large, well the solution is simple. Don't buy home games. Make a San Jose State or Louisiana-Monroe survive on what they make at the gate, they will eventually run out of money.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, arkstfan said:

Nebraska doesn't "need" the money because Nebraska has done the things to bring in a metric crap ton of money every year (for those unfamiliar the metric crap ton is larger than the English crap ton)

You want to play more home and homes? MOST of the college football universe would stand and applaud while the AD's at your peer schools would pants you when you get the courage to talk to the pretty girl in the hallway.

Miami is play A-State home and home, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Iowa State have or have scheduled a home and home.

Buy games exist because buy games work.

More money for the schools with big crowds and donors giddy every time the AD invents a new way to part them with their money. They work wonderfully for the opponents as well. It puts a seven figure number in the revenue column that buys the AD some grace with the university chancellor when creating a costly budget.

Home and homes are the province of schools who cannot afford to buy games and the province of G5 schools that can afford to host those games.

When people bemoan that FBS is too large, well the solution is simple. Don't buy home games. Make a San Jose State or Louisiana-Monroe survive on what they make at the gate, they will eventually run out of money.

Your point #1:  I agree

Your point #2:  If all P5 schools could only play other P5 schools as a rule, then this point is moot

Your point #3:  Don't care

Your point #4:  I agree with your first part.  But the second part isn't the responsibility of a P5 school to make an AD of the MAC look good.

Your point #5:  If they can't afford football without these games, maybe they shouldn't be in football

Your point #6:  I agree

Yeah well St. Saban does a annual P5 should only play P5 schools rant and unbelievably St. Saban apparently can't get what he wants in Tuscaloosa because they not only play G5 they play frickin FCS schools every year. But sadly Saban has no clout and influence.

Went back and looked at some old Nebraska schedules. Cornhuskers were buying games 40 years ago. I don't think that is going to change.

8 minutes ago, arkstfan said:

Yeah well St. Saban does a annual P5 should only play P5 schools rant and unbelievably St. Saban apparently can't get what he wants in Tuscaloosa because they not only play G5 they play frickin FCS schools every year. But sadly Saban has no clout and influence.

Went back and looked at some old Nebraska schedules. Cornhuskers were buying games 40 years ago. I don't think that is going to change.

40 years ago they might have needed to in order to meet budgets.  With the money flowing in from the B1G and Adidas and having other sports solvent or much closer to solvent, the need for 7th game revenue just isn't there.  I get why they take it.  But it's not needed

35 years ago, Nebraska's non con was Iowa, Penn St, Florida St, Auburn.  I would like to see that again

In fact, go look through their schedule all through the 80's.  They typically played 3-4 P5 teams and 1 lower level.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

40 years ago they might have needed to in order to meet budgets.  With the money flowing in from the B1G and Adidas and having other sports solvent or much closer to solvent, the need for 7th game revenue just isn't there.  I get why they take it.  But it's not needed

35 years ago, Nebraska's non con was Iowa, Penn St, Florida St, Auburn.  I would like to see that again

In fact, go look through their schedule all through the 80's.  They typically played 3-4 P5 teams and 1 lower level.

When the series against Iowa was scheduled, they were a pretty bad team in the Big Ten, but had just hired Hayden Fry.  Even then, they weren't a great team.

Florida State was nobody when they agreed to play Nebraska.  Yes, they became great, and them beating NU in Lincoln in the early 80s was a big part of that, but Florida State was very low level at the time they agreed to play NU.  Did you notice how Florida State came to Lincoln for every one of those games.  NU never went to Tallahassee.  That was a paycheck game for Florida State at the time, and they wanted to play super tough competition.

Auburn was a meddling SEC team at the time, as well.  When they played NU, Bo Jackson was a true freshmen who barely even played against NU.

Penn State was really the only legitimate team back then.

35 years ago, there wasn't as many D-1 schools maybe not even 100, and the scholarship distribution wasn't like it is today.  So, while those schools may seem like huge names now, it was a totally different era in college football.

• Plus1 2

I will agree that NU played bigger conference schools in the 1970's and 80's, but that was also done because the Big 8 was so bad.  For most of those years, NU would have 1 tough conference game against Oklahoma, and the rest were patsies.  There were a few years where a team like Okie State or Missouri might be good, and then Colorado became good in the late 80s.