Why would you fire your Athletic Director in September?

knapplc

3 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

This is exactly why we can't have nice things anymore. Tell me again; how long did it take T. Osborne to win a national championship after inheriting that team and talent from Bob D.? More than 3 years, if I remember correctly.

Again, this is why we can't have nice things, and it's why we won't have nice things in the future.

How old was Coach Osborne when he took over? He wasn't in his mid 60's, been coaching for 30 + years and seemingly still couldn't figure things out. Osborne retired at the age we hired Riley.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

This is exactly why we can't have nice things anymore. Tell me again; how long did it take T. Osborne to win a national championship after inheriting that team and talent from Bob D.? More than 3 years, if I remember correctly.

Again, this is why we can't have nice things, and it's why we won't have nice things in the future.

Except that T O actually won football games. Something Riley hasn't done his entire career. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

How old was Coach Osborne when he took over? He wasn't in his mid 60's, been coaching for 30 + years and seemingly still couldn't figure things out. Osborne retired at the age we hired Riley.

I can't dispute the age thing, but everyone seems to forget that Osborne was handed a team that was filled with talent and was of national championship caliber. TO coached for over thirty years at one place. I believe it took him a couple of decades to win the championship. No modern NU coach is anywhere near that fortunate, and they never will be again. I mean, go right ahead and fire another coach. We'll see how that pans out in another wasted 3 years.

1 minute ago, BRV920 said:

Except that T O actually won football games. Something Riley hasn't done his entire career. 

He was "born on 3rd base," though.

I can't believe so many are still hanging onto prospects of winning out or winning the West!  Unless some others are watching a different team play on the field each Saturday, I don't see more than 3 more wins out there.  This week we hardly have any of our skilled players on the field for the start.  We should win Saturday regardless, but not feeling it right now.  If we come out and put up 50 Im not sure Rutgers don't put up 51.

Just now, Vitalis Jackson said:

I can't dispute the age thing, but everyone seems to forget that Osborne was handed a team that was filled with talent and was of national championship caliber. TO coached for over thirty years at one place. I believe it took him a couple of decades to win the championship. No modern NU coach is anywhere near that fortunate, and they never will be again. I mean, go right ahead and fire another coach. We'll see how that pans out in another wasted 3 years.

I see if Riley sticks around for another 3 years it is wasted. Why? Because in 3 years he wont get us anywhere, maybe, maybe at best he gets us a divisional title or competes for a conference title, but he isn't winning anything. In 3 years Riley retires or he is fired leaving us to rebuild again in 3 years when he leaves. We have to come to realization that this guy isn't going to get us to where we want to be. Maybe some feel no matter who our coach is we are doomed for mediocrity and this is what Nebraska football is about now, but if we want to have any shot at being nationally relevant again then we at least need to try.

I'd rather us move on now rather then having to move on in 3 years. And maybe we move on now and in 3 years we have gone nowhere, well at least we tried.

Just now, Nebhawk said:

Osborne played for NC several times before winning one.  Won Big 8 titles.  Competed for Big 8 titles each year.  Tom Osborne was as consistent as a coach as you will ever find.

In the last what? 50 years Nebraska has only started their season 1-2 three times, two of those times are under Riley.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I see if Riley sticks around for another 3 years it is wasted. Why? Because in 3 years he wont get us anywhere, maybe, maybe at best he gets us a divisional title or competes for a conference title, but he isn't winning anything. In 3 years Riley retires or he is fired leaving us to rebuild again in 3 years when he leaves. We have to come to realization that this guy isn't going to get us to where we want to be. Maybe some feel no matter who our coach is we are doomed for mediocrity and this is what Nebraska football is about now, but if we want to have any shot at being nationally relevant again then we at least need to try.

I'd rather us move on now rather then having to move on in 3 years. And maybe we move on now and in 3 years we have gone nowhere, well at least we tried.

Bo is not coming back, you should just accept that.

5 minutes ago, Vitalis Jackson said:

Bo is not coming back, you should just accept that.

LOL, I don't want Bo back. I was all for Bo's firing, but I was against Riley as the replacement. Then I bought into the hype that was sold to me about Riley turning things around, but then week after week I was left disappointed and reminded that he just is a .500 coach. If it wasn't for Armstrong's athletic ability last season we may have only won 7 games.

Riley is a nice guy, it is hard to let him go because you want him to succeed. But the bottom line and hard truth is, he isn't getting Nebraska to where it wants to be.

Just now, Rike Miley said:

If we go 8-4 we are going somewhere. The CCG.

No, Wisconsin, yet again, will be going to the CCG if Nebraska goes 8-4.

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

LOL, I don't want Bo back. I was all for Bo's firing, but I was against Riley as the replacement. Then I bought into the hype that was sold to me about Riley turning things around, but then week after week I was left disappointed and reminded that he just is a .500 coach. If it wasn't for Armstrong's athletic ability last season we may have only won 7 games.

Riley is a nice guy, it is hard to let him go because you want him to succeed. But the bottom line and hard truth is, he isn't getting Nebraska to where it wants to be.

No, Wisconsin, yet again, will be going to the CCG if Nebraska goes 8-4.

7-2 conference record will be good enough to win division especially if one of those wins is against Wisconsin.

8 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I would love to beat Wisconsin, but this team isn't beating Wisconsin, too early in the year for Riley's one upset win. Those usually come in November.

Well you know what, probably not but thats why you play the games. If he goes 8-4 he gets another year, period. You dont fire a coach who won 8 games after only 3 years.  Especially if we go to Indy.