SBNation: Scott Frost is perfect for a possible Nebraska opening, but here’s who should be No. 2 on the list

Saunders

17 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

It didn't look like the QB runs required much elusiveness either since the defense was so unprepared. I imagined Gebbia making that long run.

We might need to upgrade our speed to make the offense work... if we wanted to run a similar offense.. for whatever reason.

I'm fairly confident Gebbia would transfer to a pro system or a system that better suited his skills if Riley left and Frost replaced him. Gebbia has some speed but we shouldn't confuse that with being a dual threat quarterback. He's a pro style player who averaged 1.7 YPC his senior year of high school.

A large component of Frost's offense is that zone read option (similar to what we used to do with Martinez) and I'm less than confident any quarterback on our roster is a significant enough rushing threat to worry any defense.

5 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm fairly confident Gebbia would transfer to a pro system or a system that better suited his skills if Riley left and Frost replaced him. Gebbia has some speed but we shouldn't confuse that with being a dual threat quarterback. He's a pro style player who averaged 1.7 YPC his senior year of high school.

A large component of Frost's offense is that zone read option (similar to what we used to do with Martinez) and I'm less than confident any quarterback on our roster is a significant enough rushing threat to worry any defense.

Eh, I'm not so sure.  Frost will be able to sell them on being the next Mariota.

Even Mariota wasn't a huge runner.  Only his senior year did he average more than 10 carries per game.  Before him, Darron Thomas averaged just over 4 carries per game his last year.  It's mostly been 8-10 carries per game for the QB.  I think Gebbia could handle 1-2 carries per quarter.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I'm not so sure.  Frost will be able to sell them on being the next Mariota.

Even Mariota wasn't a huge runner.  Only his senior year did he average more than 10 carries per game.  Before him, Darron Thomas averaged just over 4 carries per game his last year.  It's mostly been 8-10 carries per game for the QB.  I think Gebbia could handle 1-2 carries per quarter.

But does he have the skill set and interest in doing that? I don't know the answer and I don't think anyone could really say one way or the other, but my inclination is no, at least in the current way Frost is operating that offense. Perhaps he could tweak it to better suit a more pure passer.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

Not really.  Tom Brady could run that offense. In fact, a lot of what the Patriots do is not that dissimilar. The number one thing both offenses want out of the QB is quick and decisive decision making. 

Is this not zone read? Asking out of genuine curiosity. Maybe there's a different word for when they look like zone read and it's a pass play, but almost every single highlight from UCF this past weekend comes off of what looks like zone read or an option play. I also watched a quarter of the game live and they didn't run a lot of pure pass/run plays.

I only see one play that is actually zone read there (at about the 2:00 mark).  The rest are supposed to look like zone read but they're not leaving anyone unblocked to read so it's a called handoff the whole way.  Even the one play that is a zone read is only barely a zone read - they don't block the DE on the left but they aren't really threatening him.  It looks to me like it's about a 95% chance that it's going to be a handoff - the only thing that would change it is if the DE chased hard at the snap but he'd have to run all the way across the formation in the backfield so it's not likely to happen.

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Ah. See, from a personal standpoint, if it looks like they're operating out of a lot of zone read (whether they're actually calling a design handoff or pass) I just refer to it that way. Perhaps there's a better way to phrase it.

I don't think it's that big of a deal.  The major difference is if you're not running the QB as much you don't really need that much of a running threat to run the offense.  Still have to have someone who can get some yards here and there so the defense still has to worry about it but they don't have to carry the offense with their legs.

• Plus1 1