Something that scared me about the Wisconsin game

Losses started effecting me less about halfway through 2002 (the year after I graduated from UNL).  Ever since then I tend to get over them really quick.  And it probably would have been that way even if we kept being good.

Now I am married with kids, I have no time to sulk.  After NIU, it was time to get the boy to soccer or take the girl to the playground.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This entire topic reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother once.  We both grew up in Nebraska, graduated from UNL, were and still are avid Husker fans.  We still follow the Huskers and watch every game we can.

He now lives in the New England states.  We were talking about the difference between sports here in Nebraska and being a Husker fan where he lives.  He said he actually enjoys it more.  I asked, why?  He said, I get together with Husker fans at a watch site, eat, drink...cheer on the Huskers.  I follow all the coaching and recruiting moves...etc.  However, no matter if they win or lose, not everyone I talk to for the rest of the week is distraught or upset about it.

Maybe it's just me, but the mood around Lincoln in 2004 was just utterly sour. It seemed like everyone, no matter where you went, was just in an awful mood. I don't get that vibe now. Seems everyone is just as honky dory as usual. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This entire topic reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother once.  We both grew up in Nebraska, graduated from UNL, were and still are avid Husker fans.  We still follow the Huskers and watch every game we can.

He now lives in the New England states.  We were talking about the difference between sports here in Nebraska and being a Husker fan where he lives.  He said he actually enjoys it more.  I asked, why?  He said, I get together with Husker fans at a watch site, eat, drink...cheer on the Huskers.  I follow all the coaching and recruiting moves...etc.  However, no matter if they win or lose, not everyone I talk to for the rest of the week is distraught or upset about it.

I think your brother was describing apathy. If ADSE foresaw an imminent ban on football and wanted to prepare us for it, he did a good job. Until that happens can we at least field a respectable team? Thanks.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

This is me. I've seen enough of real life that football isn't much more than a distraction.

I just sat through four quarters of knowing Wisconsin was going to win, and loved most of it just for the experience of it all.  I'm expecting to lose to Ohio State and that's a drag, but I'll still be there, standing up and raising as many decibels as I can for four quarters. 

I want the team to do better. I want Riley to have that crazy late-life success story. I want our players to be jumping around and having a great time all the time.  But that's not our reality right now, and that's OK. 

I'll be back next game cheering again.  Hopefully we win that one. 

After reading some statements, and agreeing with the first line of this, I've seen much more challenging life stuff than a football game.  I apologize for the stupid emotional rant up top, I was just being over dramatic on a message board.  It really doesn't matter at the end of the day.

I feel ya. Useally after a loss I'm a bit PO'd for a day or two and by Wednesday I'm over it.  This loss and how we got our okole handed to us in a manner that would resemble a piece of candy on Halloween had me in a "whatever I expected this, can't get mad when it's expected and it happens".   I gotta feeling this feeling will be here till there is massive changes to this program.