Husker Chalk Talk - Monday Recap: Domination v. 4.0

Cdog923

The play is in trouble from the start based on the Blackshirts’ alignment.  With Wisconsin in 22 personnel (2 RB, 2 TE, 1 WR) and a “nub” tight end to the boundary (only eligible receiver on that side of the ball is an inline tight end), Nebraska overloads its linebackers to the field.  That means any pulling concept back to the boundary is going to put 220lb Jonathan Taylor running behind pullers directly at either Eric Lee (6’/195lbs) or Josh Kalu (6’1″/195lbs).  If you offered that to the offense every play, they’d take it for 80 straight of them.

And some people want to blame the players.  smh

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Some of it does rest on the players, no doubt.

But, ultimately, it's on the coaches. The first rule of leadership is that everything is your fault.

Why?

Because it's either taught, or allowed.

I think this is one of the most frustrating aspects of Riley and his staff.  They don't force any accountability with the players.  They allow players to make numerous mistakes on the field without any threat of being benched or pulled from the game.  I understand there may be a talent drop-off from the 1st string and beyond, but with all of the bad plays happening, I don't know what it would hurt to try the backup and see if he can make some plays.  At some point, Riley and his staff have to tell his players to "go make a dang play!!!"

• Plus1 3

Well, and it's clear that the Kalu to Safety experiment probably needs to be done. I know Reed got hurt (how much that affected the run D is a question left to time), but Reed has played better than Kalu has. Shift Kalu back to CB and Lamar Jackson to the bench until he learns how to tackle. 

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Well, and it's clear that the Kalu to Safety experiment probably needs to be done. I know Reed got hurt (how much that affected the run D is a question left to time), but Reed has played better than Kalu has. Shift Kalu back to CB and Lamar Jackson to the bench until he learns how to tackle. 

If Riley is fired and Jackson does stick around NU, he should be shifted to WR.  He can't tackle at all, and his tall, rangy body is exactly what NU needs at WR.

5 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

He'll need to find an outside tackling guru to help him out cuz he's not going to learn anything from this staff.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

If Riley is fired and Jackson does stick around NU, he should be shifted to WR.  He can't tackle at all, and his tall, rangy body is exactly what NU needs at WR.

Can he catch, though? Or run routes effectively? He was slated to be a safety in college until Riley decided he wanted bigger CBs. Maybe give him a shot there? 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Can he catch, though? Or run routes effectively? He was slated to be a safety in college until Riley decided he wanted bigger CBs. Maybe give him a shot there? 

I don't know if he can catch or run routes, but he did play WR in high school.  I don't see how he would be an effective safety if he can't tackle, unless he's only asked to play centerfield and defend passes all day.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know if he can catch or run routes, but he did play WR in high school.  I don't see how he would be an effective safety if he can't tackle, unless he's only asked to play centerfield and defend passes all day.

Worked for Josh Bullocks. 

I'm no X's and O's guru or anything, but sometimes our defensive alignment leaves me scratching my head.

Here's Wisconsin's first offensive play:

This is how everyone initially lined up.

1stplay1.thumb.jpg.bac0d4c35689126583cc6fe0614384f4.jpg

Wisconsin then shifts guys to the other side. Our linebackers are making the adjustments to our alignment.

1stplay2.thumb.jpg.6498eeade2b7b37ba053b8abb79954f9.jpg

We end up with this. The play ends up going for 8-9 yards after the RB cuts back to "No Man's Land"

1stplay3.thumb.jpg.0ceb9106d8f42852067e5a95253a699f.jpg

I watched the play about 15 times yesterday trying to figure it out. It reminds me of this shift the Mud Dogs used in the Bourbon Bowl:

wb1.jpg.99931b2fd83d32e3af3dc4a0918ef1ea.jpg

wb2.jpg.9bd91b36b0ac27cfb13f3315da36c0ee.jpg

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

I'm no X's and O's guru or anything, but sometimes our defensive alignment leaves me scratching my head.

Here's Wisconsin's first offensive play:

This is how everyone initially lined up.

1stplay1.thumb.jpg.bac0d4c35689126583cc6fe0614384f4.jpg

Wisconsin then shifts guys to the other side. Our linebackers are making the adjustments to our alignment.

1stplay2.thumb.jpg.6498eeade2b7b37ba053b8abb79954f9.jpg

We end up with this. The play ends up going for 8-9 yards after the RB cuts back to "No Man's Land"

1stplay3.thumb.jpg.0ceb9106d8f42852067e5a95253a699f.jpg

I watched the play about 15 times yesterday trying to figure it out. It reminds me of this shift the Mud Dogs used in the Bourbon Bowl:

I'm not a fan of them running 4 front so much. Is that Stille with his hand in the dirt? He should be on the opposite side, outside shoulder of the tackle, pressing contain.