End of an Era.

5 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

Yea it is too bad, I don't think that people genuinely hate or dislike Mike Riley. I know from seeing him interview he seems like a real stand up guy. Bo was the antithesis of Riley.  Bo definitely did not embrace Nebraska. The stress of the job was too much for him to handle. He was very reluctant to hire competent coaches. Carl the coke head, Kaz the wife beater, John Papuchis yelling at fans at big red breakfast, Marv Sanders the philanderer, it was a strange cast to say the least. 

I think Riley's downfall is not so much of his fault. I think a good argument can be made  that Eichorst is more culpable for hiring a coach who was the wrong fit. Riley is a pro style likes to toss the ball around. That is not Nebraska football, and the AD should have known better.

I do admit I was a bit harsh on Riley. I do wish him the best, but I also don;t want him coaching this team next year...  

"Nebraksa Football"?  I have seen this before and I don't really understand this. Either it works or it doesn't work in college football. Does location really matter? Riley has shown at Nebraska what he really is as a coach and has been all of his career. Good coaches adjust to their personnel and keep adjusting as they continue to get the guys in the program to run "their system". This isn't about being a Nebraska style, it is about finding a style that works with your current players and running it well. That is why you see good coaches come in and have success right away. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, jaws said:

"Nebraksa Football"?  I have seen this before and I don't really understand this. Either it works or it doesn't work in college football. Does location really matter? Riley has shown at Nebraska what he really is as a coach and has been all of his career. Good coaches adjust to their personnel and keep adjusting as they continue to get the guys in the program to run "their system". This isn't about being a Nebraska style, it is about finding a style that works with your current players and running it well. That is why you see good coaches come in and have success right away. 

Nebraska football is knock you on your ass and wish you hadn't stepped on the field with the Cornhuskers kind of football.  Most of the time it worked, sometimes it didn't, but you knew that you played against the most physical team you'll ever face, for days after.  That my friend is Nebraska football.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Nebraska football is knock you on your ass and wish you hadn't stepped on the field with the Cornhuskers kind of football.  Most of the time it worked, sometimes it didn't, but you knew that you played against the most physical team you'll ever face, for days after.  That my friend is Nebraska football.

That sounds great but that describes an attitude not an offensive system that some magically think works at Nebraska. 

1 minute ago, jaws said:

That sounds great but that describes an attitude not an offensive system that some magically think works at Nebraska. 

Call it whatever you want but I defined what people mean when they say "Nebraska football".  It's roots are from rural Nebraska where life can be rough, physically demanding and sometimes cruel which makes the people tough, hard working and stoic.  Nebraska football used to represent what the state of Nebraska and it's people are.  Maybe it's not easy to define to an outsider but when a Nebraskan sees it, they'll say "that's Nebraska football".

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, jaws said:

You are definitely correct, it isn't an offensive system, and it might not magically fix things. But the fans would have great pride in a team that fought tooth and nail. A team that laid it all on the line. A team that cared as much as the fans do.  I can take losing any day with a team that exhibits the characteristics I just described.

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You are definitely correct, it isn't an offensive system, and it might not magically fix things. But the fans would have great pride in a team that fought tooth and nail. A team that laid it all on the line. A team that cared as much as the fans do.  I can take losing any day with a team that exhibits the characteristics I just described.

Thanks for adding important components to defining what Nebraska football is.  Pride and the spirit to always play hard are a big part of it.  Wins are great but aren't on my list of expectations http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/84731-realistic-expectations/&do=findComment&comment=1902505  I do believe winning is a part of what we all think of when we use the term "Nebraska football" but wins are more of a byproduct of those things that define what Nebraska football is.

Nebraska forefathers weren't the type of people that when they reached the Mississippi said "screw it, let's go back to Ohio".

Edited by 4skers89
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, Redux said:

Not trying to be funny.  These types of posts annoy me because it's a crappy look on our fan base.

#BeforeIAmPermanentlyBanned

So we're just supposed to sit back, smile, and accept mediocre to piss poor football with a smile?  Is that what we're paying Mike Riley 3 million plus a year for?

To my way of thinking, the "We can't say or think that because it'll reflect negatively on our fanbase" mentality is a weak sauce excuse.

My god, how far has Nebraska football fallen where our own fans accept 6-6 (or worse) as acceptable? 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, krc1995 said:

And soon every kid Riley recruited will be obsolete. Poor kids. It's really hard to recruit in the mist of constant turmoil and unrealistic expectations

Yes, "unrealistic expectations."

Going .500 or better against Wisconsin, Ohio State, etc..."unrealistic expectations."

Not getting blown out/embarrassed on national television..."unrealistic expectations."

Being in contention for the West division every year..."unrealistic expectations."

Having an offense that plays with physicality, is hard-nosed, and punishes opponents..."unrealistic expectations."

Seeing the Blackshirt defense play tough, physical, hard-nosed defense..."unrealistic expectations."

Not having every single national pundit pick the other team to win in every game we play..."unrealistic expectations."

#BeforeIGetPermanentlyBanned

9 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

#BeforeIAmPermanentlyBanned

So we're just supposed to sit back, smile, and accept mediocre to piss poor football with a smile?  Is that what we're paying Mike Riley 3 million plus a year for?

To my way of thinking, the "We can't say or think that because it'll reflect negatively on our fanbase" mentality is a weak sauce excuse.

My god, how far has Nebraska football fallen where our own fans accept 6-6 (or worse) as acceptable? 

There is a difference between accepting s#!t results and being s#!tty in general.  If you bothered to read any of my other posts following that one you would see my stance, much like 99% of the board, is not accepting anything.  Why does Riley deserve to be torn down as a person?  Because he lost a bunch of games?  Gimme a break.  Be displeased all you want, WE ALL ARE, but until the man actually does somenting worthy of being verbally assaulted  just chill out and wait for the end of the season.  As I said before, he probably never coaches another game after this season.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 3

43 minutes ago, Redux said:

There is a difference between accepting s#!t results and being s#!tty in general.  If you botheted to read any of my other posts following that one you would see my stance, much like 99% of the board, is not accepting anything.  Why does Riley deserve to be torn down as a person?  Because he lost a bunch of games?  Gimme a break.  Be displeased all you want, WE ALL ARE, but until the man actually does somenting worthy of being verbally assaulted  jist chill out abd wait for the end if the season.  As Ibsaid before, he probably never coaches another game after this season.

Best POV yet