Keep Riley? ND kept Brian Kelly

tmfr15

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just pointing out a coach that was best at the end of his career.  You asked the question.

You want another one?  I know a coach who was a head coach form 1957 to 1972.  He finally won two NCs in 70 and 71.

And Devaney retired at age 57.  Yes, Devaney and Osborne were at the top when they retired, but I think they retired early, rather than hang on until they started to decline.

Riley took the NU job at age 62, and people expected him to do a way better job at that age, then he had at any time of his career.  That's the unrealistic expectation.

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow. 

Yikes...

I would say that maybe the Big Ten is a lot tougher than the Pac-12 but it seems like Riley is basically having the same "luck" in that conference as he is in this one.  

Is he going to finish his career at NU with an under .500 overall record?  

When Oregon State was competing for conference titles, there were fewer strong (football) programs in the Pac-Ten.  When Nebraska joined the B1G, it was weaker than it is today.  Times change but hiring a guy whose best days are long behind him will always be a bad idea.  Hiring a coach will always involve some risk, too.  There's a lot of oversimplification around these parts nowadays (talking about how our new AD just needs to make the "right" hire, as if anyone tries to go the other way).  As for the divided fan base, it should have gotten together for the start of the latest era.  I know I gave our current HC a chance.  He clearly was given more than one by the former AD in light of staff changes that were clearly not the answer.  There was also the matter of an extension.  I don't understand why we have to be the same as everyone else when it comes to money sometimes (mainly focusing on that extension - the explanation could be even simpler than that).  I'd like to see us hire an administrative head coach, like a BK, and break the bank on coordinators and their preferred assistants.

Edited by beorach