Keep Riley? ND kept Brian Kelly

tmfr15

There is always a "maybe".  I agree. 

Maybe MR will become more then a .500 coach with all the resources at :bigredn: ?

Maybe MR will put together a solid year with his QB and new DC?

Maybe MR might put together some amazing motivation speech and coaching on the sideline?

Ya, maybe.  I'll give him the rest of the season to prove himself.  It doesn't even need to translate into WINS this year.  I'm just giving this the "eye ball test" ... and I just don't see a guy with the ability or passion to transfer what he knows and believes into a product that gets put on the field that translates in what looks like the :bigredn:  tradition.  

Edited by BigRedN
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The difference between Brian Kelly and Mike Riley is that Kelly came in and improved ND right away, including a 12-1 season in 2012.  He also had a 10-win season in 2015, before his terrible season last year.

Riley hasn't shown that type of improvement at Nebraska anywhere. 

FFA.

• Plus1 1

Kelly has proven himself to be a good coach everywhere he has been.  He had that bad year last season but immediately corrected the issues by bringing in two coordinators that are doing their jobs quite well.  Not to mention Kelly personally realized he needed to spend more time on the defensive side of the ball and not be so hands off only worrying about the offense.  The hard decisions he made this past off-season have worked.  I think Diaco was a pretty good defensive coordinator selection but I don't think the staff as a whole is up to snuff compared to what Kelly has at Notre Dame. 

Edited by BartonHusker