The Democrat Utopia

20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I remember way way way back when Romney was “gonna put you all back in chains” and mocked for wanting to hire women in his administration if elected (binders full of women).  That he was gonna gut SS and throw grandma off a cliff.  That he was a Private Equity robber Barron that didn’t care about Black people.   Ahhhhh, but now people long for the sensible Romney:blink:

Remember way back in the Time Machine when McCain was just a war monger and racist for wanting to “finish the dang fence”.  When he was too old to elect.  Ohhh, but now we would all vote for them.  Gotcha. 

Cheney….well I mean do we really need to go down that road and see what the Left thought of her pre-Trump??  I didn’t think so.   

Yes, the Overton Window has shifted dramatically due to asymmetrical polarization largely thanks to the demented behavior of the Tea Party followed by the MAGA cult. So, I mean, thanks for being an active participant in the thing you're suddenly so bewildered by?

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s for those Dems who accused Romney and a McCain of being s#!tty, racist, women hating, xenophobia yet now claim those folks were actually great guys.  

Oh, I mean, if the basis of our arguments is just making up imaginary characters from the past to prove a point, and refusing to delineate the specific from the general, then I guess we can all make up whatever narratives we want.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

My perfectly chosen words were pointing out that it doesn’t matter who Republicans nominate, that person will be considered a racist, xenophobic, social security killing, devil spawn once the general election rolls around.  It’s a time honored tradition by the left.  

Then an election or two happens and the Left begins to say, “ well why can’t the Right nominate a good candidate like they did in the previous elections?”  

This definitely happens. Sorry to spoil the news that it happens across all sides of the political and sociological aisles, or did you forget the effigys of Obama in a noose and the veracious birtherism campaign and claims of being a marxist muslim antichrist?

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Yes, the Overton Window has shifted dramatically due to asymmetrical polarization largely thanks to the demented behavior of the Tea Party followed by the MAGA cult. So, I mean, thanks for being an active participant in the thing you're suddenly so bewildered by?

:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Oh, I mean, if the basis of our arguments is just making up imaginary characters from the past to prove a point, and refusing to delineate the specific from the general, then I guess we can all make up whatever narratives we want.

Oh, I guess if I were making things up it’s possible you might have a point.   Alas, in this instance you don’t.  However, your last line does seem prophetic as you usually just make up some incorrect narrative about posts and posters you respond to:thumbs 

48 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

This definitely happens

I know.  It’s why I pointed it out for those here who don’t think it does.  Appreciate the confirmation 

• Plus1 1
15 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Not sure what your point is here. I would absolutely love to have a better choice than Trump or Biden. Romney, McCain, Cheney….any of those would do just fine.

The good thing about Trump is, he makes anyone other than him the super easy choice. I can’t think of one person living or dead or imaginary that I would pick Trump over. Not one.

Did you like Romney when he ran in 2012?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I know.  It’s why I pointed it out for those here who don’t think it does.  Appreciate the confirmation 

And what's the 'why' behind the needless and limiting narrow scope of 'The Left'? Seems very plank in your own eye energy considering the issue is glaringly NOT an exclusive feature to them only.

35 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

And what's the 'why' behind the needless and limiting narrow scope of 'The Left'? Seems very plank in your own eye energy considering the issue is glaringly NOT an exclusive feature to them only.

Romney, McCain, and Cheney were the ones brought up in discussion.   Therefore that’s the ones that were followed up on.   I thought you understood that’s what was being talked about.  

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Did you like Romney when he ran in 2012?

Here is who I have voted for in every election since 1984.

84 Reagan

88 & 92 HW Bush

96 Dole

2000 & 04 GW Bush

08 McCain

12 Obama

16 Ind Gary Johnson IIRC

20 Biden

24 Biden

I can tell you categorically the change was not that I switched sides. The problem was that my party had begun the bats#!t trajectory.  I thought Obama did okay in his first term so I bucked my trend in 2012 and voted for a Dem for the first time in my life. I liked that a Pres and party were actually attempting to address healthcare. That was my key issue at the time and I honestly have no recollection of what I felt about Romney at that time.

2016 I disliked both candidates so wasted my vote on an independent but I really didn’t feel all that strongly opposed to Trump. That changed by 2017-2018.  By 2020 I had grown to absolutely despise Trump and his MAGA BS, so much so that I voted for a Dem I did not like at all, Biden. Took a lot of heat within my family and my wife’s family for it. But I will absolutely do it again this year also unless somebody else with a very real chance to beat Trump comes out of the woodwork in the next few months. My hope is that DJT’s fat a$$ keels over dead from lawsuit stress and poor nutritional choices before November.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

can tell you categorically the change was not that I switched sides

I absolutely believe that your world view is more consistent with a conservative (not Republican) way of thinking.  

40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem was that my party had begun the bats#!t trajectory.

I also agree with this statement that there are far too many Republicans who fit this description 

41 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I thought Obama did okay in his first term so I bucked my trend in 2012 and voted for a Dem for the first time in my life. I liked that a Pres and party were actually attempting to address healthcare. That was my key issue at the time and I honestly have no recollection of what I felt about Romney at that time.

This is where I’m confused a bit, because on one hand you say you voted for Obama but your posts say you support Romney because he is the lesser of two evils.   That doesn’t sound like someone who thought an incumbent President did ok?  

On the other hand, your posting previous to that says you can’t find one single thing you like about Romney.   So you have one candidate you can’t find a single thing you like about, and a few months later you say he’s better that the current President we have, yet now say you voted for Obama because he was OK. 

Which all comes back to an earlier post to me about Republicans getting back to the Romneys of the world, yet you couldn’t find a single thing you liked about him…at the time he was running! 

46 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

2016 I disliked both candidates so wasted my vote on an independent but I really didn’t feel all that strongly opposed to Trump.

I sincerely don’t think you wasted your vote, as that is the person you felt best to vote for.  If more people would think like you did and actually go through with it like you did, a third party movement could actually make some hay.   

49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That changed by 2017-2018.  By 2020 I had grown to absolutely despise Trump and his MAGA BS, so much so that I voted for a Dem I did not like at all, Biden. Took a lot of heat within my family and my wife’s family for it. But I will absolutely do it again this year also unless somebody else with a very real chance to beat Trump comes out of the woodwork in the next few months. My hope is that DJT’s fat a$$ keels over dead from lawsuit stress and poor nutritional choices before November.

Appreciate the feedback and discussion.  I think we are in agreement that this election would be better served without either DJT or JB in it. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I absolutely believe that your world view is more consistent with a conservative (not Republican) way of thinking.  

I also agree with this statement that there are far too many Republicans who fit this description 

This is where I’m confused a bit, because on one hand you say you voted for Obama but your posts say you support Romney because he is the lesser of two evils.   That doesn’t sound like someone who thought an incumbent President did ok?  

On the other hand, your posting previous to that says you can’t find one single thing you like about Romney.   So you have one candidate you can’t find a single thing you like about, and a few months later you say he’s better that the current President we have, yet now say you voted for Obama because he was OK. 

Which all comes back to an earlier post to me about Republicans getting back to the Romneys of the world, yet you couldn’t find a single thing you liked about him…at the time he was running! 

I sincerely don’t think you wasted your vote, as that is the person you felt best to vote for.  If more people would think like you did and actually go through with it like you did, a third party movement could actually make some hay.   

Appreciate the feedback and discussion.  I think we are in agreement that this election would be better served without either DJT or JB in it. 

You might have me confused with someone else. Where/when did I say anything about Romney being the lesser of two evils? I also never said I couldn’t name one thing I liked about Romney. I only said I didn’t recall how I felt about him in 2012. ???

33 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You might have me confused with someone else. Where/when did I say anything about Romney being the lesser of two evils? I also never said I couldn’t name one thing I liked about Romney. I only said I didn’t recall how I felt about him in 2012. ???

This may be the first presidential election held since I turned 18 that I may not vote. If I bother with it at all, I will vote for Romney but he so unexcites me that I probably won't go to the polls at all. I can't think of one thing I "like" about either candidate but I have a quite a few more preferences opposing Obama than I do with Romney

. So, once again, it is a crappy choice of the lesser of 2 evils

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
37 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And again….

However, I can understand that and accept you're not a big fan of his because I am much the same way with Romney. I don't particularly like him but I still support him and oppose Obama and I feel Romney is the lesser of two evils. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

.  I thought Obama did okay in his first term so I bucked my trend in 2012 and voted for a Dem for the first time in my life.

But here’s your thoughts on Obama contemporaneously….these are thoughts of yours that make me surprised you voted for Obama like you claim.  

I will vote for anyone other than Obama at this point. He is a proven failure at solving our biggest problems. 

te a lot of excitement. 2- It doesn't take much to figure out that most any conservative leaning person would prefer any republican candidate to Obama. I seriously cannot think of one person, dem or repub, that I would not rather have than Obama. 

3- Things are not good economically for many many people in this country. Right or wrong, Obama and our elected representatives will pay for that. If there is one thing I have little tolerance for it is a man like Obama, who is still blaming the country's ills on his predecessor and not taking any responsibility for his inability to deliver on his promises. He promised us many things 4 years ago. He did not deliver on too many critical issues. He has to go and the sooner the better.

"This mess that we're in" was largely created by the last election cycle where people blindly voted for a persons skin color and empty but catchy promises of hope and change. How's that hope holding out? How much change did we see? How many promises were fulfilled? How's that real unemployment doing? If you're in the middle class, how has your situation improved? Does it feel like your income is keeping up with ever increasing costs for groceries and gas? Step back and ask yourself if you really want another four years as bad or worse as the last four.

Stop being part of the problem. Stop supporting these idiots. Stop mindlessly following people like Barack freaking Obama. Just. Stop

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

But here’s your thoughts on Obama contemporaneously….these are thoughts of yours that make me surprised you voted for Obama like you claim.  

I will vote for anyone other than Obama at this point. He is a proven failure at solving our biggest problems. 

te a lot of excitement. 2- It doesn't take much to figure out that most any conservative leaning person would prefer any republican candidate to Obama. I seriously cannot think of one person, dem or repub, that I would not rather have than Obama. 

3- Things are not good economically for many many people in this country. Right or wrong, Obama and our elected representatives will pay for that. If there is one thing I have little tolerance for it is a man like Obama, who is still blaming the country's ills on his predecessor and not taking any responsibility for his inability to deliver on his promises. He promised us many things 4 years ago. He did not deliver on too many critical issues. He has to go and the sooner the better.

"This mess that we're in" was largely created by the last election cycle where people blindly voted for a persons skin color and empty but catchy promises of hope and change. How's that hope holding out? How much change did we see? How many promises were fulfilled? How's that real unemployment doing? If you're in the middle class, how has your situation improved? Does it feel like your income is keeping up with ever increasing costs for groceries and gas? Step back and ask yourself if you really want another four years as bad or worse as the last four.

Stop being part of the problem. Stop supporting these idiots. Stop mindlessly following people like Barack freaking Obama. Just. Stop

Are you drunk? Serious question because you are rambling on about nothing relevant.

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you drunk? Serious question because you are rambling on about nothing relevant.

Keep up!  He’s trying to show how everyone thought Romney was awful by (checks notes) showing quotes of people supporting Romney???

He stirs the pot and looks to frustrate people.  That’s his thing.  Took me a while to just ignore it, but my experience here since has been so much better.

• TBH 4