StPaulHusker

Recruiting Tangent Thread - StPaulHusker Edition

2 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

Thought it would be interesting to look at OL recruitment under Chip Kelly for perspective (as that may be a better comparison to what Frost will emulate). From 2007 to the 2012 recruiting cycle, Oregon received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(6) 4 star rated 90-94

(1) 3 star rated 88-89

(3) 3 star rated 86-87

(5) 3 star rated below 86

(1) 2 star

(3) Unrated

That's 19 OL's over 6 cycles.

Just for another reference point, Nebraska from 2013 to 2019 received commitments from:

(0)5 star 

(3) 4 star rated 90-94

(4) 3 star rated 88-89

(5) 3 star rated 86-87

(9) 3 star rated below 86

(0) 2 star

(0) Unrated

That's 21 in 6+ cycles.

This has nothing to do with Oregon or Nebraska

It was to squash this notion that Wisconsin only fields 2 star converted TE's into All American linemen every year

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Because I'm not the thought police.  People can have their own opinions and I don't feel the need to always shoot them down even if I disagree with them.

That is exactly what you are doing to me.  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

That is exactly what you are doing to me.  

No, I'm not.  I never said you were right or wrong.  I said you often nit-pick at other people's posts but then had no problem throwing out your own claims that can't be verified.  Thus my question about realizing that most of what people say is their own opinion and not making them put forth a proof to be able to post.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Can we get the off-topic posts and bickering moved to another thread?

No, you must read all of them.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Mavric said:

No, I'm not.  I never said you were right or wrong.  I said you often nit-pick at other people's posts but then had no problem throwing out your own claims that can't be verified.  Thus my question about realizing that most of what people say is their own opinion and not making them put forth a proof to be able to post.

It's my opinion.  And I said I would phrase it as such moving forward.  Just make sure you are an equal opportunity criticizer to those posters that say things without saying it is an opinion.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

It's my opinion.  And I said I would phrase it as such moving forward.  Just make sure you are an equal opportunity criticizer to those posters that say things without saying it is an opinion.

You shouldn't have to say it's an opinion.  Most rational people realize that.

• Plus1 1

Moving forward you must state that this is your opinion

Oh my goodness just move on already.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

You shouldn't have to say it's an opinion.  Most rational people realize that.

Then you aren't being rational by calling me out about me saying the staff is desperate and asking if I know what they are thinking.

Unless you are trolling me into a fight.  Which would be unseemly as a moderator

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, The Murphinator said:

Oh my goodness just move on already.

Why aren't you telling the moderator that is arguing with me to do the same?

• Plus1 1

Then you aren't being rational by calling me out about me saying the staff is desperate and asking if I know what they are thinking.

Unless you are trolling me into a fight.  Which would be unseemly as a moderator

It looks to me like you are the one trolling.

• Plus1 3

I'm trying to point out that what you do to others kind of sucks and makes for crappy threads.

• Plus1 3

36 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It barely deserves a response.  But I will oblige.  The thing I asked specifics of is when people say things about a player and say stuff like, "He's our third option at this position." Or "We like him at DT instead of DE."  And then I ask how they know this intimate detail.

But, again, you're awfully silent when a poster says things like, "He starts day one" or "He is so underrated."

I guess I don't have a problem with fans being fans of a program and being optimistic and excited about potential players.

I also don't understand fans who have a problem with other fans being optimistic.  Isn't that what makes being a fan of a team fun?

Why do you feel you need to be on a crusade to throw a wet blanket on people who are excited about the program right now?

• Plus1 2

Just now, Mavric said:

I'm trying to point out that what you do to others kind of sucks and makes for crappy threads.

Look.  When someone says something about a player that is very specific I ask them how they know that.  And the few that I have done that to, have replied that they subscribe to recruiting services and that is what insiders say.  And since, I have left it alone.  

I said the coaching staff is desperate.  And I have said that from now on I will say that is my opinion.  Which, evidently I don't have to do because we're all rational thinkers.  But yet you still want to go round and round.  

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I don't have a problem with fans being fans of a program and being optimistic and excited about potential players.

I also don't understand fans who have a problem with other fans being optimistic.  Isn't that what makes being a fan of a team fun?

Why do you feel you need to be on a crusade to throw a wet blanket on people who are excited about the program right now?

So as long as my opinion matches the overall enthusiasm of everyone else it's all good.  Got it.

So as long as my opinion matches the overall enthusiasm of everyone else it's all good.  Got it.

I said nothing like that.

You can have your opinion all you want on this board.  The problem is that you seem to be on this crusade to call out other posters who are positive and optimistic about this coaching staff. Your posts are more than just expressing an opinion.  You are doing nothing of the such.  

You obviously have a cob up somewhere about this staff.  Why don't you simply state that instead of trying to call out people who actually are having fun following the staff and program and are optimistic about what is going on?

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I said nothing like that.

You can have your opinion all you want on this board.  The problem is that you seem to be on this crusade to call out other posters who are positive and optimistic about this coaching staff. Your posts are more than just expressing an opinion.  You are doing nothing of the such.  

You obviously have a cob up somewhere about this staff.  Why don't you simply state that instead of trying to call out people who actually are having fun following the staff and program and are optimistic about what is going on?

I have no problem with the coaching staff.  But realistically, as of now, they aren't doing anything different in recruiting than Pelini and Riley did.  And we need it to be better.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

You don't come across as if you don't.

I question their recruiting strategy.  Because I see more similarities to the last few coaches here than I do the coaches that are making the CFP.  

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I have no problem with the coaching staff.  But realistically, as of now, they aren't doing anything different in recruiting than Pelini and Riley did.  And we need it to be better.

Which you have shown to be the same caliber as Wisconsin. So now Frost just has to coach.

Got it!

One thing is for certain, if Frost ends up stinking up the joint, @StPaulHusker will rule the free world.

2 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Which you have shown to be the same caliber as Wisconsin. So now Frost just has to coach.

Got it!

Wisconsin?  

I think we need to stop and reflect a moment. Are we having a bunch of .95 and higher guys committing right now? NO. But I think everyone was very impressed with the class Frost put together last year in like 75 days. 

So here we are a mere couple months into the first full recruiting cycle- a time period where not alot of commits happen during these months and some are freaking out like its Riley and Pelini all over again. 

1. By the time this class closes out and we finish with a top 15 class and quite a few 4 stars- this thread is going to look pretty silly.

2. Lets chill out on thinking just because Frost showed up that automatically means we are going to have a top 5 class and compete with Alabama and Ohio State in the first recruiting cycle. 

3. I see us getting some new blood in the program- we start to rack up some good wins and see major progress this year and next. Then once people see an uptick at Nebraska happening- not just talking about what happened at UCF. When people actually see the turn around happening at Nebraska. Kids will start flocking here and recruiting gets alot easier. Its crazy to think we are going to compete with alabama and ohio state for top 5 classes being on the job for a total of what 5 or 6 months

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Why aren't you telling the moderator that is arguing with me to do the same?

I would agree with StPaul on this part.

I like StPaul. I like Mav.

But both are beating the hell out of this dead horse but people only seem to be piling on to StPaul.

I get where he is coming from in his argument and get where Mav is coming from. Neither are really wrong but again it has become a pissing match.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

One thing is for certain, if Frost ends up stinking up the joint, @StPaulHusker will rule the free world.

Yep, St. Paul has not been a Frost fan for over 20 years.

13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep, St. Paul has not been a Frost fan for over 20 years.

I didn't think he was a great QB.

I do think he's been a great HC so far.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I agree he has been a good HC so far but I am with you in terms of not being afraid to question some of his decisions.

It is ok to question things like recruiting Frost and Co doesnt walk on water. While we should give them some leeway, I think it is ok to still have expectations.

So far its been fun but I still think he has a lot to prove.. especially in recruiting.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

They been in the CFP?

No, but it terms of coaching, they have produce 4 recruited tackles in the draft since 2013, 3 of which went in the first two rounds.

You know, the team that has had similar recruits at OT as Nebraska recently that you reminded us of. Facts or whatever you were talking about.

13 minutes ago, deedsker said:

No, but it terms of coaching, they have produce 4 recruited tackles in the draft since 2013, 3 of which went in the first two rounds.

You know, the team that has had similar recruits at OT as Nebraska recently that you reminded us of. Facts or whatever you were talking about.

I suppose Wisconsin and Nebraska were somewhat similar in OT recruiting from 2013 on.  Edge to Wisconsin overall.  Unfortunately, Pelini went 0-5 on OT's that committed to Nebraska in 2013 so that has set the program behind a long way.

Either way, recruiting OL like Wisconsin is going to have to be the floor, not the ceiling, moving forward, in my opinion.  Because as good as they are in that area, they still get beat by Ohio St.

26 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Just not recruiting wise...

6 minutes ago, ScottyIce said:

Just not recruiting wise...

Not yet anyway.  Time will tell.  But I was speaking specifically about coaching in game

I just find it funny how human nature works. The fan base would have sold a kidney to get Scott Frost to come back home. As the savior of Husker football. Then once we have him signed up for a 7 year contract we shift to judging and complaining about what he is doing is not up to our standards. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just find it funny how human nature works. The fan base would have sold a kidney to get Scott Frost to come back home. As the savior of Husker football. Then once we have him signed up for a 7 year contract we shift to judging and complaining about what he is doing is not up to our standards. 

I'm a fan and I wouldn't have sold anything to get him to coach the Huskers.  Furthermore, my expectations of the head coach are the same regardless of who it is.  It's not going to change because the guy came back to his home state.

And it's not necessarily "our standards."  It's the CFP standards.  I look at what the teams that are making it there are doing and seeing my team not do it, too.  I would prefer they did.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm a fan and I wouldn't have sold anything to get him to coach the Huskers.  Furthermore, my expectations of the head coach are the same regardless of who it is.  It's not going to change because the guy came back to his home state.

And it's not necessarily "our standards."  It's the CFP standards.  I look at what the teams that are making it there are doing and seeing my team not do it, too.  I would prefer they did.

Thats fair. But its also fair to not micro manage every step they take along the way. They have proven they can turn a program around in short order- UCF is the proof. But we cant expect the first year of recruiting to be on par with Alabama and Ohio State type programs. I know where Nebraska should be, I think all Husker fans do. Its right next to those programs- we are a blue blood and should be at the top with the rest of those teams. But the sad reality for the last 15 years we have been irrelevant and unfortunately the laughing stock of the Big 10. All those years of Husker Nation looking down their noses at the big ten, mocking them with the rest of the country. It was a perfect storm for us to join the big ten while we were down and heading further down, because it gave them bragging rights to smack us around the last however many years. I hate it. Being irrelevant that long on the national stage makes it hard to pull in top notch kids when this staff has not even coached 1 game yet. 

I think interest is peaked, and people are taking notice. Putting us in top 10 lists etc. But I dont see them picking Nebraska until they see results. 

Look at Riley- he was getting alot of interest and had people believing he was building something special. But after awhile the kids said show me- we couldnt. I think Frost will show them and then they will come. 

I will now quote "field of dreams" 

"build it and they will come"

giphy.gif

• Plus1 5

Just now, Thanks_Tom RR said:

The CB cupboard is bare, in terms of proven commodities and bodies in general. It should be a surprise to no one that this staff is looking for JUCOs/grad transfers at this position. If Jackson is a 2015 recruit, that means he is either a 1-for-1 or 2-for-2 guy. If they have a scholarship to burn for the year, this gives you a player to develop and provide some depth at a razor thin position.

BTW, he had 4 more INT individually than all of our CBs last season.

Did he have those INT's against B1G quarterbacks?  Was he defending B1G wide receivers?

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Did he have those INT's against B1G quarterbacks?  Was he defending B1G wide receivers?

Yep, his JUCO only plays B1G teams.

• Plus1 7

Just now, RedDenver said:

Yep, his JUCO only plays B1G teams.

It's just a stupid stat to bring up.  Congrats to him for intercepting 4 passes against players that couldn't make it on the lowest level D1 team.  It doesn't really matter.

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

So he redshirted at uk and played one year at mcc does that make him a rs sophomore?

I would say yes actually. He was a RS FR this year at Mesa so a RS Soph this year for us. So a 3 for 3 I guess 

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's just a stupid stat to bring up.  Congrats to him for intercepting 4 passes against players that couldn't make it on the lowest level D1 team.  It doesn't really matter.

It's just a stat.  Don't need to read too much into it, or tear it down. 

Besides, do the best CBs have the most interceptions?  

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Isn't that all high school stats as well?  Why do NCAA stats matter when it is against players that couldn't make it on the lowest level professional teams?  Doesn't anything really matter?  

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

It's just a stat.  Don't need to read too much into it, or tear it down. 

Besides, do the best CBs have the most interceptions?  

It seems to be important to other people.  Not me

Just now, FrankWheeler said:

Isn't that all high school stats as well?  Why do NCAA stats matter when it is against players that couldn't make it on the lowest level professional teams?  Doesn't anything really matter?  

Show me where we compare what a HS kid did to the Husker DB's.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Show me where we compare what a HS kid did to the Husker DB's.

Duly noted. We can discuss stats but not in relation to Husker DBs. You run a tight ship StPaul.

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

This is the part where you try to claim you're just trying to ask honest questions to get information, right?

• Plus1 8