Iran

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess he’s ok with peaceful protests in other countries, just not football players doing it. 

Dont mistake this as a comment in favor of Trump but this is a perfect example of how f’d up the politics is in this country. Trump actually, finally, tweeted something sensible and the reaction is not to agree with it or support it but rather to point out the hypocrisy of it. How can we ever hope to repair what our democracy has become if we just choose sides and ignore supporting the good that may happen to come from the camp we don’t agree with?

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Dont mistake this as a comment in favor of Trump but this is a perfect example of how f’d up the politics is in this country. Trump actually, finally, tweeted something sensible and the reaction is not to agree with it or support it but rather to point out the hypocrisy of it. How can we ever hope to repair what our democracy has become if we just choose sides and ignore supporting the good that may happen to come from the camp we don’t agree with?

When the hypocrisy isn't so blatant, maybe then we can get on board with the "good" coming from the white house. Donald Trump only believes in the freedom of speech when it benefits him. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

When the hypocrisy isn't so blatant, maybe then we can get on board with the "good" coming from the white house. Donald Trump only believes in the freedom of speech when it benefits him. 

I don't disagree with you but my point was how can we ever hope to repair what our democracy has become when so many from both sides of the aisle are simply unwilling to concede a single good point to the other? Not saying Trump is deserving of it but it seems we'll never get to where we need to be under these conditions.

Agree with Neb. 

I was actually postng that as sinething he actually teeeted that I supported. 

The hypicracy is is so blatant though that it needs pointed out. Maybe if he would show some form of being more like the Iranian protesters than the clerics in his own governance, then he would be taken more serious. 

23 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I don't disagree with you but my point was how can we ever hope to repair what our democracy has become when so many from both sides of the aisle are simply unwilling to concede a single good point to the other? Not saying Trump is deserving of it but it seems we'll never get to where we need to be under these conditions.

I understood your point and mine was I think most people would welcome bipartisanship but Trumps actions always end up negating any good he is doing or tweeting out. I don't think Dems would have a problem supporting Trump on this idea if he was consistent with it, but the problem is he is not. How can  anyone get behind anything Trump says when he flip flops on the issues so much? I support the sentiment of free speech but I can't believe Trump sincerely means what he is saying when his entire presidency has been devoted to attacking the first amendment it seems like. 

Edit: just consider, if John Kasich was president do you think we would be having this conversation? 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 2

I never really thought about what Trump thought, never cared too; I thought he was an entertainment world punchline.  About 2 1/2 years ago he inserted himself into my life with the words "drug dealers and rapists", since that moment I will never ever care what that man may mean when he speaks or his intentions. He has shown me, over and over, that he is a joke of a human. 

• Plus1 1

Back to Iranian US relation, I think it was one of Obama's bigger international failures not putting more pressure on the Iranian government when their people were protesting from 2009 to 2012. We just kind of sat back and watch, didn't really pressure the government to change or relax it's grip.