A hilarious example of yellow Journalism

while the facts may be true, it doesn't lend the impression that 70% of Americans viewed the speech favorably

link to the actual poll

This is an interesting way to present a poll that shows that 48% of Americans viewed the speech as "very positive", and 70% overall were left with a positive impression.

The headline is 

"CNN Instant poll: Trump gets least positive reaction in at least 20 years"
then in the actual poll they go back to 2007, presumably to bolster their 20 year claim. The crux of the "story" is the "least positive reaction. In 2007, you have to use all of Bush's positives to exceed Trumps overall positives, as Trump had a "very positive" rating of 48% vs. Bush's 41%. Bush did exceed him overall by 78% for Bush vs. 70% for Trump.

Aside from the obviously intentional negative slant to a poll that was very good, (Admittedly no where near Obamas 1st year of 68% very positive and 24% somewhat for an incredible 92% overall favorable rating) Why not lead with the overall 70% rating, if that is the standard that you apply to the story? Personally, I am certain they (CNN) hated the thought of printing 70% favorable, and chose the 48% (less than half) to give the false impression that most of the country viewed the speech in a negative manner.

Edited by 45timesbetterthanemptysuit

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Decries "Yellow Journalism"

Doesn't mention Fox News.

:rolleyes:

what do you think about the manner in which CNN posted that? I see you mentioned FOX news, perhaps you could provide a specific link, and give your opinion and your basis for that opinion. Then you could discuss my post regarding the manner in which CNN presented a positive poll for President Donald Trump, and why I believe they did it in that manner, and I could discuss the specific article from a FOX news link that you post!

22 minutes ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

what do you think about the manner in which CNN posted that?

I think it's typical of the narrative a news organization wants to give. It's a technically accurate headline that focuses on a fact, but not necessarily the whole story. 

For example, this Fox News yellow journalism piece on the SOTU, which paints Democrats in an exceedingly bad light, but which doesn't accurately reflect their truth.

Trump extends ‘open hand’ to Dems, but is met with glum stares, scant applause

President Trump appealed for unity in his first State of the Union speech, declaring a "new American moment" even as many glum Democrats in the audience sat on their hands and refused to acknowledge economic gains or calls to honor veterans.

While Trump held firm on his demands for border security and used the grand setting to tout his first-year accomplishments, his call for bipartisanship on the thorny immigration debate met with stonefaced stares from top Democrats such as House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.

No Democrat literally "sat on their hands" but that's literally the first line in the article.  It's an easy-to-find example of yellow journalism, something that Fox is most prominently known for.  The characterization of "glum" in the headline is an interpretation, not accurate from the Democrat's point of view, but certainly one intended to convey Fox's journalistic bent.

Here's the definition of Yellow Journalism:

Yellow journalism has five basic characteristics:

1. scare headlines in huge print, often of minor news
  2. lavish use of pictures, or imaginary drawings
  3. use of faked interviews, misleading headlines, pseudoscience, and a parade of false learning from so-called experts
  4. emphasis on full-color Sunday supplements, usually with comic strips
  5. dramatic sympathy with the "underdog" against the system.

Those five points are almost the only thing you see on Fox News.  They're the epitome of Yellow Journalism today.  Decrying Yellow Journalism without mentioning Fox News is like discussing children's coloring tools without mentioning crayons.  There's a specific reason it's not brought up.

• Plus1 6

Not sure how to link to a tweet, This is a great example of "Glum", as demonstrated by the CBC as President Donald Trump stated the Black unemployment rate is at an historic low.

And I obviously know what Yellow Journalism is, I posted a great example of it per the definition you just linked!

Edited by 45timesbetterthanemptysuit

Just now, knapplc said:

Do you believe Fox News engages in Yellow Journalism?

Thats your assertion, you have yet to provide a compelling link! 

I provided a great link, actually 2!, and explained precisely what is misleading, and what, and why I felt they were conveying it that way.

I am sure this is not the case, but it is almost like you are doing the good-ole "what-about" thing! I'm sure your not though. You just haven't really discussed my link nor provided a good example of yellow journalism. (aside from the definition! That was definitely Top-Notch!)

Here is a definition of "sit on your hands", it apparently comes from theatre, and essentially bemoans a lack of applause!

That seems to be exactly what the Democrats were doing.

So your link and example isn't really very good. It doesnt seem like Fox news was being misleading in this case!

My example is very good though, wouldn't you agree?

57 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think it's typical of the narrative a news organization wants to give. It's a technically accurate headline that focuses on a fact, but not necessarily the whole story. 

For example, this Fox News yellow journalism piece on the SOTU, which paints Democrats in an exceedingly bad light, but which doesn't accurately reflect their truth.

No Democrat literally "sat on their hands" but that's literally the first line in the article.  It's an easy-to-find example of yellow journalism, something that Fox is most prominently known for.  The characterization of "glum" in the headline is an interpretation, not accurate from the Democrat's point of view, but certainly one intended to convey Fox's journalistic bent.

Here's the definition of Yellow Journalism:

Those five points are almost the only thing you see on Fox News.  They're the epitome of Yellow Journalism today.  Decrying Yellow Journalism without mentioning Fox News is like discussing children's coloring tools without mentioning crayons.  There's a specific reason it's not brought up.

I'm not going to claim either (any) news organization doesn't spin their articles and I sure don't want to leave the impression that I viewed the SOTU speech positively but you may want to use a better example. I watched that thing and the one thing that stuck out more than any other to me were the numerous Democrats with their blank "glum" and pissed off stares and the large sections of people who figuratively did sit on their hands. I wouldn't have applauded 99% of what he said either but the fact is many in attendance literally did not clap. Actually calling it "scant" applause from the dems is being more than generous.

My daughter's comment, "these are the people elected to run this country? and they're behaving like kindergartners".  Don't worry, I explained to her that it just depends who is in the WH and that is how the other side always behaves.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, commando said:

how about this?  he is the washington bureau chief for infowars

I personally cant call that yellow journalism. I'm not sure that is quality tabloid journalism. I suppose it is tabloid level. The event actually happened. I know there are people that put a lot of weight into the Qanon, I'm not one of them. I guess my idea of yellow journalism is a factually correct story presented in a way to support the writers idea moreso than the event.

1 hour ago, commando said:

how about this?  he is the washington bureau chief for infowars

I see Jerome Corsi went from World News Daily to Infowars. That is an even deeper step into the abyss.   I remember Corsi from the days of the North American Union ''merger" that was being planned by the secret society types in politics.  Corsi was the 'in demand' speaker at these far right events preparing to oppose the merger of the USA wt Mexico and Canada and making it one country.  I believe he also wrote the swift boat book on John Kerry during the election wt Bush.   I'm sooooooooo glad I'm not walking wt that crowd anymore.  They had the NAFTA Super Highway all laid out from Mexico (from the new deep water port)  to the entry hub port in Kansas City.   The highway had spokes all the way into Canada and across the USA.  

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

I personally cant call that yellow journalism. I'm not sure that is quality tabloid journalism. I suppose it is tabloid level. The event actually happened. I know there are people that put a lot of weight into the Qanon, I'm not one of them. I guess my idea of yellow journalism is a factually correct story presented in a way to support the writers idea moreso than the event.

Well, our wonderful administration gave them (Infowars) a press pass and access to the White House.....so, he must think they are a legitimate journalist site.

But.....the judgement of the man at the top on these issues is extremely questionable....at best.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 2