Confrence Re-Alignement Ideas?

2 hours ago, Redux said:

I think some people undervalue what Kansas Basketball on BTN would be worth.

1 hour ago, ScottyIce said:

What do you think Damon? Could you give this a plug tomorrow? @Frontrunner

Do you think it would be worth them actually using the BTN alternate channels? lol

I think the BTN and Fox addressed usage of the alternate channels last year and mentioned how they only staff for them during the football season. So outside of football, they're left languishing. 

I'd honestly like to see the BTN and Fox Sports invest in those channels for use during the rest of the year--basketball, baseball, track/field/Olympic sports would benefit greatly, and there would be ways to mitigate costs (e.g. allow local university journalism/media colleges to do the game, provide remote analysis). 

But Redux is right--Kansas Basketball is worth more than most of the football programs on the board right now. Kansas is a national brand, not unlike Nebraska is for football, and its viewership far exceeds the small population footprint of the state.

Bringing Kansas in with an Oklahoma or Texass would add programs to two of the top three sports the B1G is known for achieving excellence in currently (the other being Women's Volleyball). 

Edited by VectorVictor

3 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Completely incorrect. Not only is Oklahoma academically palatable for the B1G, they were part of the original deal that had five Big XII teams moving to the B1G (and therefore was already vetted by the conference). 

Honestly, I've thought we've moved on from people throwing this stuff out there... *shakes head* 

C'mon...where have you people been? Not only do we know that the B1G has an interest in Oklahoma and Kansas, they've already been vetted and were ready to join. :facepalm:

Also, when you go down the list of available expansion candidates and remove all of the pipe dream crap (e.g. anyone in the ACC now thanks to their GOR), Oklahoma and Texass are at the top when you look at football. When you look at basketball, Kansas is at the top of the list. The B1G was already going to welcome them in at one point. The Big XII's GOR will expire (provided Oklahoma/Texass/Kansas don't capitulate to renew it) well before the ACC GOR does. 

Grabbing Oklahoma still gets you North Texas recruiting and TV sets. Folks don't realize how entrenched Oklahoma is in North Texas (DFW and points north). Central Texas and Southern Texas are still going to go with wherever Texass goes and/or the SEC, and by grabbing Oklahoma, you still at least get the Tulsa (400k) and OKC (600k) television markets to boot, which is a wash when compared to the Austin TV (1m) market that Texass would bring in. Plus you don't have to mess with the whole Bevo TV debacle. 

So we are left to believe that Oklahoma and Kansas turned away the B1G in spite of the obvious benefits that joining the conference would bring them?   That makes little sense.   

1 hour ago, Crazyhole said:

So we are left to believe that Oklahoma and Kansas turned away the B1G in spite of the obvious benefits that joining the conference would bring them?   That makes little sense.   

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-during-realignment-big-ten-pondered-taking-four-more-from/article_2d507fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?TNNoMobile

Read the article for yourself.  It was a Lee Barfknecht article from 2015.

Nobody turned anybody away.  There was some speculative talks between athletic directors in June 2010 involving NU, ISU, OU, KU and TAMU to the Big Ten.  Indications were positive, but the NU to the Big Ten move happened the same month.  This shut down the process before anything formal could be offered or accepted.  This information came straight from an anonymous Big 12 AD's mouth, talking with Lee.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-during-realignment-big-ten-pondered-taking-four-more-from/article_2d507fc0-3337-11e5-8cc1-4373847a1bfe.html?TNNoMobile

Nobody turned anybody away.  There was some speculative talks between athletic directors in June 2010 involving NU, ISU, OU, KU and TAMU to the Big Ten.  Indications were positive, but the NU to the Big Ten move happened the same month.  This shut down the process before anything formal could be offered or accepted.  This information came straight from an anonymous Big 12 AD's mouth, talking with Lee.

Speculative talks between parties that had no input into that article.   

I could say that the SEC thought about asking USC to join their conference but are you going to accept that as fact?   

Again, I would love to see Oklahoma and Kansas join the B1G but if it ever happens it won't be a first strike.  

28 minutes ago, Crazyhole said:

I could say that the SEC thought about asking USC to join their conference but are you going to accept that as fact?   

Again, I would love to see Oklahoma and Kansas join the B1G but if it ever happens it won't be a first strike.  

So are you accusing Lee of completely fabricating the fact that a Big XII Athletic Director told him this information?  That's a pretty big leap.  Granted, there was no formal offer, but talks between AD's and school presidents are not the same thing as you making sh!t up.

• Plus1 1

It's basically common knowledge now that talks have happened and interest has been gauged.

Houston Nutt almost became Nebraska's coach in 2004 but didnt for a few reasons, is thst also speciulative?

2 hours ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

To clarify, it was a then-current Big XII AD whose school was involved with the proposal. So...either Kansas' AD or Oklahoma's AD. Likely the latter, considering how Oklahoma was in the middle of their "show me a viable Big XII expansion candidate" phase. 

Also, to add to this, the proposal would have went through if it weren't for aTm--they were the school that got greedy and wanted to make bank now instead of investing into the BTN and delaying gratification. It's important to note that the B1G is already giving out the biggest payouts, and that gap compared to the SEC has the potential to widen, especially now that Fox and BTN are keeping more Tier 1/2 programming for themselves. And this is speculation, but I'd wager that the deal we took with the B1G was a scaled down version of that original five team proposal...which if so, tarnishes Harvey the Wonder Chancellor's legacy during this process that much more. 

Multiple sources have been provided to refute your position, and you've offered nothing in response other than to accuse a journalist of fabricating a story (in so many words).

I'm sorry that the reality of the situation doesn't conform with your preconceived notions, but this is the point and time where a person should admit their failings, learn from them, and move on. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 3
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, BIG ERN said:

I made something a few years ago about conference realignment. This is what I thought the Midwest should look like. I have all the conferences moved around some. I think more geographically located conferences make more sense for everyone. Should be no independents allowed - all conferences need same amount of teams/games etc.

(West)
Illinois
Iowa
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Northwestern
Notre Dame
Wisconsin

(East)
Cincinnati
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State
Purdue
Penn State
Pittsburgh

you kicking Rutgers and Maryland out of the B1G?

On 2/7/2018 at 7:06 PM, Redux said:

I still prefer adding OU and KU to the West and moving Purdue East.  Makes both dovisions pretty equal competitively and give us a better rival, Wisconsin and Iowa trash can have eachother back.

This is my dream scenario. Get the Oklahoma rivalry back and leave K-State to wither and die in some nothing conference like they deserve.

Edited by LadyGlitterSparkles
  • Plus1 1
14 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

To clarify, it was a then-current Big XII AD whose school was involved with the proposal. So...either Kansas' AD or Oklahoma's AD. Likely the latter, considering how Oklahoma was in the middle of their "show me a viable Big XII expansion candidate" phase. 

Also, to add to this, the proposal would have went through if it weren't for aTm--they were the school that got greedy and wanted to make bank now instead of investing into the BTN and delaying gratification. It's important to note that the B1G is already giving out the biggest payouts, and that gap compared to the SEC has the potential to widen, especially now that Fox and BTN are keeping more Tier 1/2 programming for themselves. And this is speculation, but I'd wager that the deal we took with the B1G was a scaled down version of that original five team proposal...which if so, tarnishes Harvey the Wonder Chancellor's legacy during this process that much more. 

Multiple sources have been provided to refute your position, and you've offered nothing in response other than to accuse a journalist of fabricating a story (in so many words).

I'm sorry that the reality of the situation doesn't conform with your preconceived notions, but this is the point and time where a person should admit their failings, learn from them, and move on. 

So the BIG 10 looked to add 5 teams all at one shot.   Not a one was ultimately added.   Do you suppose that maybe this is a story that was told to the media as a shot across the bow of Texas?   Texas has long been using the rest of the conference for their own enrichment, this could have just been a way of telling them "hey, we aren't interested in being your whipping boy so let's make things a bit more equitable or we are going to leave".  

I'm not saying that the B1G would absolutely not make an exception for Oklahoma, but it's widely known that the conference values AAU acreditation and Oklahoma has a ways to go to get to that point.