Confrence Re-Alignement Ideas?

10 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Wouldn't KU because considered the Kansas City media market? IF KU was to move, it would just help to strengthen the BIGs roots in the KC Metro that is currently divided between the BIG XII, the Big Ten and the SEC (Missouri). 

The KC market is funny.   It's pretty split between Kansas and Missouri, and Kstate is a factor as well.  

16 hours ago, Branno said:

It's funny that you equate disagreeing with an article, which was horribly wrong in one of its main assertions, to jumping a Husker fan and then immediately point out a grammar mistake. If you wanted me to ignore the entire paragraph between those two things, good job.

I am more than OK with people who can't communicate, respectfully or otherwise, ignoring me on this forum.  The error I pointed out wasn't grammatical either.

p.s. - You could have just disagreed with the article in one post but, even after I humored you with a clarification, you had to: 1) go on complaining about it in a way that made it seem as if you only read enough to find something with which to disagree; 2) make some weird judgment as to my intent ("to defend the idea that ND wouldn't join the B1G, which it seems is what you were trying to do"); and 3) imply that I was making an argument I wasn't (which I already touched on above).  Turnabout is fair play.

Edited by beorach
added a post scriptum in case B's confusion was honest

18 hours ago, Redux said:

Let me revise my Big Ten wish list a bit.  This would be m guess on who they want and how much they want them.

1-Notre Dame

2-Texas

3-Virginia

4-Oklahoma

5-Kansas

6-North Carolina

7-Missouri

8-UConn

9-Syracuse

If they could pick the top 2, they would in a heartbeat, but ND is completely off the table.  If they could get OU and UT, they would in a heartbeat.  If they could take OU and add to the West and Virginia to the East, they would.  If OU ans KU came as a package deal to the West, it would be considered and I think it already is being considered.  Same for UVA and NC.  Missouri, UConn and Cuse are all backup targets that would be throw ins if they had to even it out if they only got a Texas, Virginia or Notre Dame.

I'm not disagreeing with your list, but how could any conference honestly want to add Texas? They've singlehandedly destroyed not one, but two conferences. 

It would benefit me though... I could walk to the stadium here in Austin.

Because if Texas ever joins another league they won't have the pull they had in the Big 12.  The Big Ten would LOVE to get an inside track to Texas recruiting, what better way than adding Texas and their Red River Rivalry partner Oklahoma.  A conference that housed Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas would be pretty impressive.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 2

^^^ That would be one impressive line up and a hard path to the playoffs. But to be the best you have to beat the best.  It would only make us stronger.

I do agree if Texas joined (although I despise them) they probably would not have the pull they had in the Big 12. 

I do wish the Big 10 could have a 'do over' wt Rutgers.  Besides TV sets they add nothing - It would be nice to replace them with Kansas basketball or another team from the east coast.

Edited by TGHusker
14 hours ago, Redux said:

I still prefer adding OU and KU to the West and moving Purdue East.  Makes both dovisions pretty equal competitively and give us a better rival, Wisconsin and Iowa trash can have eachother back.

I like that scenario.  Final games of the season:

NU-OU

Wisc-Iowa

NW-Ill

MN-KU (The Glen Mason Rivalry game)

Or with pods:

Northwest Pod

MN-Wisc

NW-Ill

Southwest Pod

NU-OU

KU-IA

• Plus1 1

On 2/5/2018 at 8:54 PM, Crazyhole said:

Oklahoma can't qualify for the B1G academically and it's not even close.  

Completely incorrect. Not only is Oklahoma academically palatable for the B1G, they were part of the original deal that had five Big XII teams moving to the B1G (and therefore was already vetted by the conference). 

Honestly, I've thought we've moved on from people throwing this stuff out there... *shakes head* 

On 2/6/2018 at 5:41 PM, Blackshirt316 said:

The Big Ten has virually zero interest in Kansas, Oklahoma or Missouri. They would take Texas and Notre Dame in a heartbeat but neither side would have reason to agree to the other's terms so it won't happen.

The Big Ten has two targets - North Carolina and Virginia. Unless Texas loses it's incentives to keep the B12 afloat nothing major will happen until those two are willing to move. Which won't be soon.

C'mon...where have you people been? Not only do we know that the B1G has an interest in Oklahoma and Kansas, they've already been vetted and were ready to join. :facepalm:

Also, when you go down the list of available expansion candidates and remove all of the pipe dream crap (e.g. anyone in the ACC now thanks to their GOR), Oklahoma and Texass are at the top when you look at football. When you look at basketball, Kansas is at the top of the list. The B1G was already going to welcome them in at one point. The Big XII's GOR will expire (provided Oklahoma/Texass/Kansas don't capitulate to renew it) well before the ACC GOR does. 

21 hours ago, Redux said:

Because of Texas ever joins another league they won't have the pull they had in the Big 12.  The Big Ten would LOVE to get an inside track to Texas recruiting, what better way than adding Texas and their Red River Rivalry partner Oklahoma.  A conference that housed Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Texas would be pretty impressive.

Grabbing Oklahoma still gets you North Texas recruiting and TV sets. Folks don't realize how entrenched Oklahoma is in North Texas (DFW and points north). Central Texas and Southern Texas are still going to go with wherever Texass goes and/or the SEC, and by grabbing Oklahoma, you still at least get the Tulsa (400k) and OKC (600k) television markets to boot, which is a wash when compared to the Austin TV (1m) market that Texass would bring in. Plus you don't have to mess with the whole Bevo TV debacle. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 1
On 2/6/2018 at 10:36 AM, Husker from Kansas said:

Wouldn't KU because considered the Kansas City media market? IF KU was to move, it would just help to strengthen the BIGs roots in the KC Metro that is currently divided between the BIG XII, the Big Ten and the SEC (Missouri). 

Yes. And the B1G already has expanded based on media concerns (see Maryland and Rutgers). Any other markets (e.g Kansas City, Wichita) are just an added bonus to getting a perennial powerhouse added to B1G basketball. A powerhouse that gets all of those NY/NJ/DC/VA/MD television sets to turn to the BTN and watch B1G sports.