CFN: 2018 Spring Rankings And Lookaheads

7 hours ago, Vince R. said:

No laser. When I worked for Cerritos College, we had gone under a complete field and facility renovation. Once we did, we became not only the home field for Servite HS but we also became a neutral site for the CIF playoffs and a camp site. We invested in multiple performance lasers to accommodate all of these changes. 

Anyway, two kids from the south came in when we were having tryouts. Both ran their 40s and one hit a 4.2 flat and the other ran a 4.26. Everyone had that look on their face like we just watched two olympic runners show off. It was very impressive. Both did not pan out. Very rarely do you see many kids running a 4.45, let alone that kind of speed. The only disadvantage I would say is that we have to do this outdoors. 

Those two should have ran track!  4.2 flat is flying.  100m NCAA record holder and current fastest 60m in the world ran a 4.12.  Of course he did not train for it and ran it just for the hell of it, but still.  I absolutely trust you are telling the truth, but I hope you can understand that it is just hard to believe you saw two guys that fast!  You had to have been in absolute shock!  I ran 10.6 electronic in the 100m and I ran a 4.41 40 yd electronic.  4.2 is absolutely flying.  Pretty sure Ahman ran something crazy fast like that, along with Fabian.  Combine record is 4.22

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Vince R. said:

In addition, we had a Nike camp at our field and many of the "recruiting coordinators" and "directors" insisted for us to not use our lasers. We asked them why not and they said that they did not prefer it. We all knew why and it is because they get paid to exaggerate these kids ability. The reality is that these skill players run closer to a 4.7 than they do a 4.3. Watching lineman run is funny too because they run closer to 5.7 than they do 4.9. 

Having been around a few of these "shoe guys" in only my high school coaching career, I believe this.  They are snakes in the grass.

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Those two should have ran track!  4.2 flat is flying.  100m NCAA record holder and current fastest 60m in the world ran a 4.12.  Of course he did not train for it and ran it just for the hell of it, but still.  I absolutely trust you are telling the truth, but I hope you can understand that it is just hard to believe you saw two guys that fast!  You had to have been in absolute shock!  I ran 10.6 electronic in the 100m and I ran a 4.41 40 yd electronic.  4.2 is absolutely flying.  Pretty sure Ahman ran something crazy fast like that, along with Fabian.  Combine record is 4.22

No totally. This is how I knew that tOSU chart was complete nonsense. There is simply no way you can accumulate that kind of speed on one team. JC is a very humbling experience for so many of us involved. It’s even a place to witness tragedy and kids who have a ton of demons. I can’t tell you how many NFL talent we had try out and they couldn’t last a week without jeopardizing their career. We always said that more talent falls through the cracks than gets drafted. The kid who ran a 4.2 flat ended up going to Blinn I think. 

Damn! You had some serious get up. Ahman was clocked in the 4.3 flat range if I remember. 

Edited by Vince R.
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Redux said:

Riley recruited speedy athletes, he jus couldn't develop or coach them.  We should be right in the thick of top 5 speedier teams in the league

Yep.

A lot of athletes at this level are fast, but sometimes it's wasted. If the Riley era was anything, it was slow. Slow developing plays, slow to react to plays. Just everything was so slow.

8 hours ago, Vince R. said:

No totally. This is how I knew that tOSU chart was complete nonsense. There is simply no way you can accumulate that kind of speed on one team. JC is a very humbling experience for so many of us involved. It’s even a place to witness tragedy and kids who have a ton of demons. I can’t tell you how many NFL talent we had try out and they couldn’t last a week without jeopardizing their career. We always said that more talent falls through the cracks than gets drafted. The kid who ran a 4.2 flat ended up going to Blinn I think. 

Damn! You had some serious get up. Ahman was clocked in the 4.3 flat range if I remember. 

Haha.  Ya, I was fast but that was about it on the football field!  I was a sprinter in college, it was fun.  Honestly, 10.63-10.78 was about where I ran and many times I didn't even make finals.  I was a 400 guy mostly.

Guys running in the 4.2 to 4.35 range are few and far between I am sure.   Probably less than 1% of Div 1 players overall.   But, once you get to that 4.35 to 4.5 range, you will likely pick up another 3 or 4% or so.  At 4.5 to 4.65, you going to catch another 7 percent.    But, at NU, we should NOT be anywhere less than the top 30 nationally in average speed at the 'speed' positions (RB, WR, TE, DBs, LBS and QBs).   Unfortunately, what we 'should' be and what we are, may be two different things currently.

I think we have adequate speed in the WR and TE and RB spots.   We will be slow at QB (Martinez excepted.   I suspect we are a tad slow at LB and DB positions.   

I would be willing to bet (admit there is no real way to find the answer) that if NU sent its 25 fastest players and OSU sent its 25 fastest players out on the field and they lined up across the goal line and raced to mid-field, OSU would have 18 of the first 25.  I think if both teams sent their 50 fastest, OSU would have 35 of the top half of those as well.

After that, it doesn't really matter.   Who has the 'fastest' player - I'd guess OSU but that is hard to say.    But as a group, it is not really close.   If you lined up the LBs, I'd bet OSU would have 10 of the top 12.