Jamal Lord vs Taylor Martinez

Jamal Lord vs Taylor Martinez. Who do you take?  

95 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. I don't think Martinez lost any speed after the injury, as he continued to make some legendary runs, but when the coaches moved him to game-manager and injury-avoider mode, it screwed with his natural instinct. 

I definitely agree with the bolded. It was clear they told him to start focusing on that, and I think that is when the shuffling to a stop right before being destroyed by a tackle started. I said while he was playing they should've given him some RB drills or something. He needed to learn to lower his shoulder. It would have been safer. And to not fumble the ball. Before someone says it - I know his injury wasn't due to not lowering the shoulder, but his behavior afterward changed due, I think, to what the coaches told him about avoiding hits.

Edited by Moiraine

Who knows how individual plays could have changed entire seasons and careers, but I remember the 2012 game against UCLA at the Rose Bowl.  Martinez had a ridiculously fast 95 yard TD in the first half. The entire team was a little ragged and unfocused, and our normally reliable kicker was having the worst game of his career, but in the fourth quarter it was still Nebraska's game to win. It was pretty much over when UCLA dropped Martinez for a safety, but if you go back and look at that play it was almost identical to the earlier 95 yard touchdown. Martinez just needed to bounce out one or two more feet around the defender, and he had 95 wide open yards again. 

I'll take Jammal Lord.  He was more durable and literally had NO HELP whatsover. 

You put Lord into even Bo's offense and he's better than T. Mart.  When Jammal played, Frank Solich's "entire" offense was:

11/19 sprint option

QB Draw

WR Screens (that never went anywhere)

RB Iso

RB Off-Tackle

Solich ran Lord so much, and almost provided very little passing game to keep defenses honest.  And because Lord ran the ball so much, his passing accuracy suffered greatly.

• Plus1 1

Jamal Lord couldn't complete better than 50% of passes in any offense known to man. How would he succeed in Bo/Beck's offense with a higher amount of throwing and relying on accurate passing?

(answer: he couldn't, and would have switched positions if he ever hoped to see the field)

• Plus1 1