Verduzco Breaks Down Spring Game

I'm a little more interested in Gebbia's play that he looks at: Stoll actually gets a good block on Dixon.....but he wasn't supposed to. Gebbia makes the correct read because Stoll crashes Dixon all the way down past the opposite hash mark (it's a damn good block, watch the associated clip). 

Screen-Shot-2018-04-24-at-8.05.09-PM_dvt

45 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm a little more interested in Gebbia's play that he looks at: Stoll actually gets a good block on Dixon.....but he wasn't supposed to. Gebbia makes the correct read because Stoll crashes Dixon all the way down past the opposite hash mark (it's a damn good block, watch the associated clip). 

Except it wasn't. Dixon isn't supposed to get inside like that. While it might look cool that he put Dixon on his back at the end, Dixon blew this play up. If Dismuke didnt screw the pooch and qb's arent wearing green jerseys, then Gebbia is still wondering where his mouth piece is. Looking at that pic alone you should be able to see that the offense should be screwed at that point, Dismuke just messed up and it made Gebbia look good. Good on Dixon, bad on Stoll 

• Plus1 3
49 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

When you first watch this play in totality from the backfield, you want to disagree with Verduzco and said Gebbia should keep that 10 out of 10 times. With Dixon in position to wrap up Wilbon as soon as the handoff is complete and Stoll walling off Dixon to allow Gebbia to keep it and bounce to the outside, you think there is all daylight with that decision. However, Verduzco is pointing out the fact that if you see Dismuke on the second level, he is reading run and coming up to fill the D gap, so he should have Gebbia dead to rights. The poor angle that Dismuke takes allows Gebbia to get a few more yards, but by keeping it, Gebbia would normally be giving up a TFL if Dismuke played his assignment better.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

Except it wasn't. Dixon isn't supposed to get inside like that. While it might look cool that he put Dixon on his back at the end, Dixon blew this play up. If Dismuke didnt screw the pooch and qb's arent wearing green jerseys, then Gebbia is still wondering where his mouth piece is. Looking at that pic alone you should be able to see that the offense should be screwed at that point, Dismuke just messed up and it made Gebbia look good. Good on Dixon, bad on Stoll 

Yep, that's my point as well.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

He makes the correct read based on what read is given to him; the boundary defender (in this case, Dixon) is supposed to be unblocked, but gets crashed all the way into the backfield, which is a keep call. You're right, though: both Stoll and Dismuke messed up rather spectacularly on their parts of the play; Stoll is supposed to be reaching to Dismuke, and Dismuke makes Lamar Jackson look like Lavonte David with his tackling attempt. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

He makes the correct read based on what read is given to him; the boundary defender (in this case, Dixon) is supposed to be unblocked, but gets crashed all the way into the backfield, which is a keep call. You're right, though: both Stoll and Dismuke messed up rather spectacularly on their parts of the play; Stoll is supposed to be reaching to Dismuke, and Dismuke makes Lamar Jackson look like Lavonte David with his tackling attempt. 

Verduzco says it was NOT a read play, so the fact Gebbia read anybody means he's running the wrong play. No offense intended, but I think the QB coach breaking down the play has better insight on how the play is supposed to work than any of us.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Verduzco says it was NOT a read play, so the fact Gebbia read anybody means he's running the wrong play. No offense intended, but I think the QB coach breaking down the play has better insight on how the play is supposed to work than any of us.

"The breakdown: During the Red team’s first drive of the game, Gebbia opted to keep the ball on an option call. He cut upfield for an 8-yard gain. While it wasn’t his flashiest play, it highlighted his ability to run the football when needed.

The evaluation: Gebbia was supposed to hand off but made the decision to keep the ball and run. He made the decision based on what he saw evolving in front of him. However, it could have cost him.

“He should have never pulled this ball, because [the safety] is going to get you,” Verduzco said. “I see what he saw, because [players in front of him] didn’t do [their] job, which is fine. What I tell these guys is to do your job first and if something comes up, great. Because if we pull this thing and we get tackled, the head ball coach is going to say, ‘Mario, what are we doing?’

“What he did do a good job with is that he ran his ass off, so that’s good.

Everything in that quote, from both the writer and Verduzco, indicates that it's an option. Where did you see him say that it wasn't?

16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

"The breakdown: During the Red team’s first drive of the game, Gebbia opted to keep the ball on an option call. He cut upfield for an 8-yard gain. While it wasn’t his flashiest play, it highlighted his ability to run the football when needed.

The evaluation: Gebbia was supposed to hand off but made the decision to keep the ball and run. He made the decision based on what he saw evolving in front of him. However, it could have cost him.

“He should have never pulled this ball, because [the safety] is going to get you,” Verduzco said. “I see what he saw, because [players in front of him] didn’t do [their] job, which is fine. What I tell these guys is to do your job first and if something comes up, great. Because if we pull this thing and we get tackled, the head ball coach is going to say, ‘Mario, what are we doing?’

“What he did do a good job with is that he ran his ass off, so that’s good.

Everything in that quote, from both the writer and Verduzco, indicates that it's an option. Where did you see him say that it wasn't?

Maybe I'm reading too much into what he's saying, but I took, "Gebbia was supposed to hand off," as the play was a handoff not a read.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Maybe I'm reading too much into what he's saying, but I took, "Gebbia was supposed to hand off," as the play was a handoff not a read.

I think he's talking in context of what Gebbia should have read during the play, i.e. handoff vs. keep. 

I guess I'm just not sure if I believe Stoll messed up THAT bad (although it's completely possible). He could easily have just screwed up who he was supposed to go block but if Dixon really was his man and he just wasn't fast enough to get to him, then that blocking makes no sense for it to be a read option since the safety is unblocked. It just really doesnt look like an inside zone read. Again, Stoll could have screwed up his assignment that bad, but since Gebbia was supposed to hand it off, I feel like Stoll was blocking the right guy

2 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

I guess I'm just not sure if I believe Stoll messed up THAT bad (although it's completely possible). He could easily have just screwed up who he was supposed to go block but if Dixon really was his man and he just wasn't fast enough to get to him, then that blocking makes no sense for it to be a read option since the safety is unblocked. It just really doesnt look like an inside zone read. Again, Stoll could have screwed up his assignment that bad, but since Gebbia was supposed to hand it off, I feel like Stoll was blocking the right guy

If it is indeed an option, which I think it is, then Stoll blocked the wrong man. His effort in blocking the wrong man is superb, though; Dixon ends up on his ass on the opposite end of the play. 

1 minute ago, Swiv3D said:

Stoll was blocking the right guy, he just did a poor job of making sure the OLB didn't get across his face and inside him.  He didn't make a good block for the called play.

The point Verduzco is saying is that the play was for Gebbia to hand off.  The safety was outside the formation of the offense, so it should have been clear to Gebbia that the safety was going to be one on one with Gebbia, and the play should have been the hand off, based on the pre-snap read (or even the play call by Frost/play caller).  If Stoll had a good block on his guy, there wouldn't have been an OLB to even make a read on, and the I-back would have had a good lane to run up the middle.

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

If it is indeed an option, which I think it is, then Stoll blocked the wrong man. His effort in blocking the wrong man is superb, though; Dixon ends up on his ass on the opposite end of the play. 

Yeah I'd rather him go 100% like that being wrong than whatever the hell we saw last year